sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2015 2:00 pm  #1

When Competing Radio Stations Collide

There's an old unwritten rule in broadcasting that you never mention the competition or its hosts for any reason. 

Which is why I had to laugh when Mike Stafford made two allusions this week to the other guys down the dial. The first took place during one of his noon hour shows when he hit upon a topic that he even had to admit to his listeners wasn't going anywhere. After trying to get decent calls for several agonizing segments and coming up empty, Stafford sighed, admitted no one was on the line and then said, "Bullard, I gave you this hour!"

A few days later, after the Jays had officially clinched the AL East, Stafford came on and congratulated "the crew at 680 News" for singlehandedly helping the team win, noting all the drunken louts who screamed "Blue Jays!" into their mics, and subtly chastizing the place for the endless shilling of a Rogers property by leading every newscast with the Jays for weeks, regardless of whether they actually did anything or not (a complaint also noted on this board recently.)

It was all pretty funny to hear that "third wall" being broken. But Stafford takes a back seat to some of the things I've heard over the years that broke the unwritten rule.

A long time ago, a guy named Jay Marvin was doing overnights at WLS-AM in Chicago. He was on opposite Steve & Johnnie, a program that had been airing forever over at rival WGN-AM and a duo that the Big 89 host hated with a passion. Marvin, who was a bizarre individual in his own right (although he leaned heavily to the left) used to get so worked up about political topics on his show his doctor actually warned him to stop or he risked having a stroke.

He used to delight in calling Steve & Johnnie's producer live on air and taunting the poor guy with ridiculous topic suggestions or outright insults. And while he didn't even try to get on air on the other station, he wouldn't be satisfied until the person manning the phones finally hung up on him in disgust, resulting in Marvin roaring with laughter on his own show. This went on for months and years, until he finally left Chicago for Denver.

Still, the all time greatest mention of the competition to me happened during the mid 1970s in the media capital of the world, New York City. AM was still king and there was a fierce rivalry going on at the time between two Top 40 50K powerhouses, WABC and WNBC. The former had the great Dan Ingram getting people home, while the latter had the equally wonderful but far lesser known Bob Vernon (aka "Vernon with a V") pumping out the hits.

I happen to be listening one day in winter when, around 5:20 PM, right in the middle of afternoon drive, WNBC came out of a song, Vernon did an extro and then they played that famous "Dan Ingram!" singing ID, followed immediately by a WABC Pams jingle in its entirety. When it ended, the deep voiced Vernon came on and in his best official announcer voice, intoned. "Dan Ingram is not here. Nor do we know where you can find him. Thank you." And with that, it was into another tune.

I laughed like crazy when it was over, not believing the chutzpah it took to do that when the two were such fierce competitors. It's been over 40 years, but I still remember that moment like it was yesterday. And that's why I loved WNBC in that era, a place that would constantly do the unexpected, including reporting on fake parades down Broadway, and in one memorable instance, saying they'd been taken over by some backwater small town Russian radio network, and then throwing to a traffic report about the one bridge out of town being blocked because the yak had died. That incarnation of the Great 66 remains the most creative and strange radio station I've ever heard. But man, was it entertaining. And I miss it to this day, because I can honestly say I've never heard any radio quite like it since.

October 2, 2015 3:33 pm  #2

Re: When Competing Radio Stations Collide

Years ago, I remember listening to an announcer at WWKB doing live reads for a local company that had WGR in the name - something like WGR Industries. This happened several times during the show. So all afternoon long the announcer kept giving out the call letters of the competition and there was nothing he could do about it.

The other day I was listening to TSN 1050 and they came on with a Newstalk 1010 traffic report, identified as such. Never thought I'd see the day when CFRB would be on CHUM but of course now they're both owned by Bell. It sounded quite strange to me, remembering the many years they were rivals and would never mention the other.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 2, 2015 4:35 pm  #3

there are few guarantees in life .. 

but i will guarantee with utmost certainly that i will never ever be guilty of "turning off Stafford in favour of Bullard" .. 

cheers from Toronto .. 

October 2, 2015 10:53 pm  #4

g121 wrote:

i will never ever be guilty of "turning off Stafford in favour of Bullard"

Is that because you have an HD radio?

October 2, 2015 11:44 pm  #5

Kilgore wrote:

Is that because you have an HD radio?

nope .. while Bullard's been around a long time, i've never understood the appeal.  to my ears, Stafford's a pro & Bullard is not.

re: HD radio .. 
i did get a C.Crane Wifi radio a short while ago and it's quite pleasing to listen to radio without the annoying buzz\interference that's all too common these days.  it's amusing that my inexpensive C.Crane radio gets as much use as my Bose Wave radio that it sits beside.

cheers from Toronto .. 

October 3, 2015 10:10 pm  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

Years ago, I remember listening to an announcer at WWKB doing live reads for a local company that had WGR in the name - something like WGR Industries. This happened several times during the show. So all afternoon long the announcer kept giving out the call letters of the competition and there was nothing he could do about it."

And then there are the accidental examples. The one I remember best is fairly well known. It happened when CFTR was trying to counter the "Don't Say Hello, Say I Listen To CHUM" promotion that proved very popular in Toronto. Bob McAdorey was doing mornings on 680's then-rocker at the time and the station had countered with a contest that gave away something like $25 if you just answered your phone with "Hello."

Well, 'TR insisted on making those calls live and the inevitable happened. They picked a random phone number and the woman answered, "I listen to CHUM, good morning."

A clearly flustered McAdorey said, "Well, I'm sorry to hear that ma'am. This is Bob McAdorey calling you from CFTR, and we would have given you $25 if you'd answered your phone with "hello." There's a brief pause and the woman starts laughing, then says, "you gotta admit it's kinda funny." To which McAdorey responds," Yeah, it's kinda funny... Where am I working next week?"

Last edited by RadioActive (October 3, 2015 10:16 pm)

October 5, 2015 9:21 am  #7

Back when 95.3 CJXY was a rock station, with the nickname Y95, Kristie Knight of 977HitsFM used to call their main switchboard during her show, wait for the person to answer "Good afternoon - Y95...", at which point she would immediately come back with her reply of "Exactly!".

Kristie's one word retort impying that the "Y95..." telephone greeting was posed as a question always put a smile on my face. You could hear in Kristie's voice the great delight she took in pestering that station down-the-dial.

Last edited by DeepTracks (October 5, 2015 9:21 am)

October 7, 2015 3:39 pm  #8

as an aside (and thanks to syndicated programming), some years ago i was on 2 different radio stations (under a variety of names) dealing with 2 (out of 5) different formats, (and sometimes 2 different station owners) in the same market. i believe this happened in a few markets (1 was calgary). strange days indeed.