sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2018 6:24 pm  #1

Patrick Brown Takes Aim At CTV News Over Story That Cost Him His Job

By now we all know what happened to former PC leader Patrick Brown. The women who accused him of sexual shenanigans likely don't have any money. But it's becoming increasingly clear he may be going after CTV for a ton of defamation dollars over the original story that cost him his job. 

From his Facebook statement:

“CTV chose not to report the truth because the facts contradict their phony, made up narrative. Here is my message to CTV News. You lied. You defamed me. I will not allow your brand of trashy journalism to hurt another person in this country.”

Them's certainly fightin' words, as they used to say in the old Westerns. Bell has a ton of money and CTV stands by its story. But if this goes to court and Brown's allegations prove true, it could be quite a trial and outcome. Stay tuned. This story is far from over. 

Patrick Brown attacks CTV News and his accusers — three weeks after allegations surfaced

February 14, 2018 9:50 pm  #2

Re: Patrick Brown Takes Aim At CTV News Over Story That Cost Him His Job

brown came out fighting tonight on global.... he hit the allegations head on.  but stay tuned for tomorrow night, when he talks about why this happened and who's responsible.  lots of speculation that the party itself set him up.

February 14, 2018 10:28 pm  #3

Charlie wrote:

I do believe he was torpedoed from within, in order to find a new leader for the election.

Really? That "strategy" seems like a disaster that will jeopardize an election their party seemed poised to win. Plus, someone had to pay for all those ads he ran.

The moment these allegations broke Wynne probably had the biggest smirk she's had in centuries.

February 14, 2018 10:37 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

Never was a Brown fan.  He was a poor choice as PC leader from day one, but I do believe he was torpedoed from within, in order to find a new leader for the election.  Good for him for standing up for himself.  The CTV allegations are shaky, at best, and really only amount to a couple of dates gone bad.  I think he'll walk away vindicated, and maybe laughing all the way to the bank.

I agree. The Liberals were certainly comfortable with the idea of going to the polls against Brown. I think the knives came out because, after Tory and Hudak, another centralist leader was just too much for the far right faction of the party.
Then along came Dougie!

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

February 14, 2018 11:05 pm  #5

It's quite possible that the PCs will fare better in the coming election with any of the other three main candidates than they would have under Brown. In fact I've seen one poll suggesting this.

It's quite conceivable this was all engineered. It's also quite conceivable the claims are legitimate.

The only poll that counts is the election, so proof will be in the pudding when the votes are tallied.

Between now and the election, I really would like to see as much public accounting as possible done of all events, by both police and journalists, investigating everything from any actual harassment that might or might not have occurred right through to the potential involvement of anyone other than the actual complainants.

Politicians have to be held accountable. But it cuts both ways - political systems and mechanisms also have to be held accountable. Brown was the elected leader, and with a few scant months to go there's new leadership, with all the attention of a leadership vote. The air needs to be cleared before the election, with consequences going wherever they are deserved.

Last edited by Saul (February 14, 2018 11:06 pm)

February 15, 2018 2:02 am  #6

Retaw wrote:

Charlie wrote:

I do believe he was torpedoed from within, in order to find a new leader for the election.

Really? That "strategy" seems like a disaster that will jeopardize an election their party seemed poised to win. Plus, someone had to pay for all those ads he ran.

The moment these allegations broke Wynne probably had the biggest smirk she's had in centuries.

Well Wynne shouldn't be so happy. I'm normally a Liberal voter but I would vote for Caroline Mulroney, whereas I'm not so sure I'd vote for Brown (if I did, I'd hold my nose while doing it, as it'd be more of an anti-Wynne vote than a pro-Brown rationalization).  Brown losing his position is IMO, the best thing that could've happened to the Conservatives... so long as his replacement is someone who is more wholesome, and more relatable than mister playboy Brown... Mulroney fits that.

My own theory: it was members of his party that ruined him, and after hearing stories of how there've been many fake Conservative memberships now cancelled, I wonder if Brown really did get as many actual votes by members than he supposedly did. If he, or his supporters had originally signed up a boatload of fake members that then voted him in as leader, those on the losing side of the leadership race could've sought to get revenge on someone they felt had cheated his way to the leadership of the party by ruining him.

If it was the Liberals behind it all, I doubt they would've let this scandal surface at this time. They'd have waited until it was much closer to the election so that it'd be too late to run another leadership race.

February 15, 2018 2:50 pm  #7

It's official. Patrick Brown has confirmed on his Facebook page that he will be suing CTV.

"I am suing CTV.

My lawyers are talking to CTV. Early this week, CTV lawyers agreed to ensure that all emails, texts and other correspondence related to this travesty are held independently for safe keeping."

Perhaps CTV can hire the Liberals old helpmates and get those emails erased before they're looked at! Either way, it will be very interesting to see what happens at that trial.

February 18, 2018 10:36 am  #8

I'm no fan of Patrick Brown, but it appears the case against CTV is starting to build. 

First, there was a pullback on a victim's real age when the alleged incident took place. 

Then there were questions about the relationship between the reporter and some involved in this sordid tale. 

And now the Toronto Sun is reporting this:

Brown accuser won award from CTV 

Nothing completely damning in most of the revelations about the network, but it does appear to cast seeds of doubt about the original yarn. CTV continues to stand by the story. So far, despite threats, Brown hasn't officially filed a lawsuit against them.

February 24, 2018 10:38 pm  #9

Now, it's finally official. Should be a fascinating case, if it ever gets to court. 

Patrick Brown files notice of libel against CTV News