sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2018 11:52 am  #1

Bell Says No Super Bowl Sim-Sub Killed Its Ratings Again

In what is a pretty predictable outcome, Bell Media is complaining that viewers of its Canadian broadcast of the Super Bowl went down by about 3 million. CTV’s “coverage” – which was really just the NBC feed, minus the spots – came in at 4.45 million, about the same as last year but off from the 7.32 million before the CRTC plumbers shut off the sim-sub tap.

This despite a “Watch To Win” contest ("back by popular demand!" we were told) that tried to bribe viewers to stay tuned. But while the NBC feed is certainly a factor in those numbers, what Bell fails to mention is that ratings for the Super Bowl were down in the U.S., just as numbers for the NFL have been declining overall for the past year or so.

And The Financial Post points out that CTV actually easily won the battle for viewers against its American counterparts in major cities like Toronto and Montreal, although God knows why.

I love the quote from the Bell mouthpiece. “It can be difficult to compete when U.S. brands are allowed to advertise to Canadians for free,” [spokesman Scott] Henderson said.”

Well, first of all, with perhaps the exception of the occasional local availability, they weren’t advertising to Canadians at all. And second, it wasn’t “free.” Advertisers paid millions to reach that audience, and they shelled out big bucks to get on CTV, as well. Not to mention the money Bell gets in revenue for its satellite and Fibe services, where the vast majority of its subscribers watched the contest.

If you really want to talk about "free", Mr. Henderson, perhaps we can discuss why Canadian viewers aren't "free" to watch a show on whatever channel they choose. But that lack of freedom doesn't seem to bother you.  

If you thought the Super Bowl was the ultimate match, just wait. Bell and the NFL vs. the CRTC round 3 is coming to a courtroom near you. And this one won’t be televised.

U.S. ads again lured millions of Canadian viewers away from local Super Bowl broadcasts, Bell says

February 6, 2018 3:20 pm  #2

Re: Bell Says No Super Bowl Sim-Sub Killed Its Ratings Again

seems to me, in previous years, ctv (and global) ran more show promos than ads... and they were repeated over and over again.

February 6, 2018 5:26 pm  #3

Ahhhhhh.

February 7, 2018 1:35 pm  #4

Oh well...Bummer.  I watched it all on Enn Bee See.  As a broadcast entity Bell makes for a pretty good phone company.  Not Great...but...Pretty good.  They just sort of wandered out upon the thin ice of a new day and their future will not be a bright one.  Toodles.  Good riddance.  Au revoir.  Dig ya later.  B-bye.

February 18, 2018 9:20 pm  #5

the original hank wrote:

seems to me, in previous years, ctv (and global) ran more show promos than ads... and they were repeated over and over again.

This will probably be the last word on this until a court ruling, but here's a very interesting take on the controversy that you don't often read in a mainstream newspaper - in this case, the Peterborough Examiner. (Although why it took until this past Friday for it to come out with the game on so long ago, I'm not sure.)

"The press release from Bell said that 3.4 million Canadians watched the 2017 Super Bowl on U.S. stations to avoid the Canadian commercials, costing them, in my estimation, about what one of their Bell CEO's will receive as an annual bonus."

And

"Thankfully for the remote control and the "last" button, a fan could switch between two games and miss some of the product drivel. But watching the recent NFL playoffs [on CTV] was especially annoying with the repeating up-coming program promos."

Seems he's of the same mind as The Original Hank. Agree with the CRTC policy or not, I think there are a lot of viewers who feel the same way.. 

Don't deprive Canadians of the full Super Bowl package