sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2018 1:38 pm  #1

CTV’s Super Bowl Ad Story Strikes A Nerve

On Monday, CTV’s News at Noon did a story on the reaction to a controversial Dodge Ram truck ad that featured the voice of Martin Luther King. It followed by using this as the basis for its daily “Talkback Toronto” topic, after many griped that it was extremely inappropriate to use the late civil rights leader in such a manner.

If this spot ran on their network, that’s fine. But after all the complaining, court challenges and hand-wringing Bell did about the lack of a Super Bowl sim-sub, if they were to leverage a commercial that only ran on NBC in the States as a topic, without even mentioning this important fact, I would find that terribly ironic and more than a little hypocritical.

Does anyone know if this commercial aired on the CTV broadcast here?

February 5, 2018 2:06 pm  #2

Re: CTV’s Super Bowl Ad Story Strikes A Nerve

As a follow-up, I just heard CFRB's Jim Richards do an entire segment on trying to identify the Super Bowl ads. He played pieces of them and then commented that they're so slick the messages might not have gotten through. Once again, I'm alleging a flag on the play over this. 

Here's another Bell employee all but admitting he watched the NBC feed. How do I know he didn't view them online? First, he pointedly noted that he "fast forwarded through some of them." You wouldn't need to do that online, since each is put up separately. And second, he talked about seeing a Verizon spot, a phone company that has no presence at all in Canada and thus would never advertise here. 

Once again with Bell personnel, it appears to be "do as we say, not as we do."

If their own people were apparently watching NBC, what does that tell you about the CRTC's decision to let this go on?

February 5, 2018 4:57 pm  #3

Re: CTV’s Super Bowl Ad Story Strikes A Nerve

I have no idea if the ad aired on CTV. Like most people, I was watching NBC.