sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2018 7:23 pm  #1

Channel Repack Timeline

Now that channels have all been reassigned, many OTA viewers are probably wondering when they will have to do new channel scans. The switches will take place in 10 phases of 2 month periods from 9/14/18-7/3/20. None of the stations in the GTA are in the first two phases. Here is the schedule CFTO 9-8 [Apr-June 19]  CITS 36-14/WNYB 26-5/WUTV 14-36 [June-Aug 19] WKBW 38-34/WNED 43-31/WNYO 49-16 [Jan-Mar 20] CKVP 42-29 [Mar-May 20] CJMT 40-26/Global 41-17/CFMT 47-18/CITY 44-30 [May-July 20] I didn't bother with WBBZ as it is rarely seen in these parts. All other stations will remain in their current positions. I am sure WIVB will give its viewers plenty of notice before they pull the plug on ch 39 and move to 23-2, presumeably.

January 29, 2018 7:40 pm  #2

Re: Channel Repack Timeline

Do the stations have to do any drastic changes to their transmitting equipment for these types of changes? (i.e antenna/transmitter replacement?) or was the digital changeover the most major.

January 29, 2018 8:11 pm  #3

Actually, the engineer for WIVB told me the station will continue to appear as virtual Channel 4 when the change to the WNLO tower is made. But thanks for the timeline. I was wondering when this was happening. I hope they'll air some kind of warning for antenna users in the U.S.

Given who runs most of the Canadian outlets, I'm guessing there will be almost no help given to those on an antenna here.

January 30, 2018 4:44 pm  #4

markow202 wrote:

Do the stations have to do any drastic changes to their transmitting equipment for these types of changes? (i.e antenna/transmitter replacement?) or was the digital changeover the most major.

I would think if a station is staying on the same band, the transmitter would just need to be changed to the new channel. Some alignment may be required. That being said, the antenna will need to be re-tuned or replaced if the change is large. Combining equipment would also need to be re-tuned.
And of course if they are moving to a new tower....

January 30, 2018 5:12 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, the engineer for WIVB told me the station will continue to appear as virtual Channel 4 when the change to the WNLO tower is made. But thanks for the timeline. I was wondering when this was happening. I hope they'll air some kind of warning for antenna users in the U.S.

Given who runs most of the Canadian outlets, I'm guessing there will be almost no help given to those on an antenna here.

Im wondering if they moved already?  Last night I had 100% signal strength for WIVB in Etobicoke (during snowfall) and the same for Ch 23 WNLO.