sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2018 1:34 pm  #1

More OTA TV Changes "May" Be Coming

Today I was poking around in the thread section of Remote Central.com. I think it was called Toronto/Buffalo HDTV Reception or something similar. A member by the name of Obico had some interesting news. Nothing has been approved yet. However, WNYO has applied to the FCC to move to the WUTV Grand Island tower when they move to ch 16 in2020. WUTV has also applied to the FCC to move to the old WIVB tower in Colden when they move to ch 36. I am not a technical person by any means but this info may mean more to some of you. WUTV want s to install "a Dielectric Model TFU-24GTH-6T170 elliptically polarized directional antenna with an ERP of 800KW"  Currently, I believe WUTV's Grand Island signal is beamed 100% south. It is not available in the GTA with an indoor antenna, where as WNED AND WNLO are. With the ch 4 tower being in the 1000 ft range WUTV should still have a good signal here. Another thing that was mentioned. When some of the Buffalo stations move to their new locations, their ERP will drop. When WKBW moves to ch 34 they will go from 338KW to 331KW.  WNED to 31 will go from 156KW to 123KW, WNYO will go from 198KW to 99,8KW. WNYB, currently on ch 26, and is scheduled to move to ch 5 is also looking at moving their transmitter to Grand Island. They have not yet filed an application. I believe their transmitter is currently south of Fredonia.

January 29, 2018 2:08 pm  #2

Re: More OTA TV Changes "May" Be Coming

I have (and always had) better reception with Ch 4  WIVB than WUTV due to their directional signal.  

January 29, 2018 7:05 pm  #3

January 29, 2018 8:03 pm  #4

WUTV is basically impossible for me to receive on a regular basis. Going to miss some of the WNYO sub-channels.

January 29, 2018 8:15 pm  #5

I hope WUTV does not become what WIVB currently is - here today and gone some others.

Also there's no way WNED will let its OTA signal disappear from the GTA. It's the only U.S. station that bills itself as "Buffalo-Toronto" in its IDs, primarily because a large percentage of its fundraising money comes from north of the border.