sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2018 11:07 pm  #1

Kitchener - Waterloo radio history

This topic has been coming up in the "Bell Wants Power Hike For Kitchener FM Due To ‘Super’ Buffalo Stn." thread but thought it might be appropriate to open a new topic on it.

I grew up in KW in the 60's through mid 70's. I remember listening to many of the personalities at the time. This site has lots of stories and pics. Probably well known to many, but I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.danfisher.org/

A question relating to CKCR. Does anyone know the actual name of the DJ who called himself the "Nighthawk"? He played the top 40 stuff in the evening. I can't recall how long he was on CKCR or what the year span was, but I sure liked listening to him. Thanks for any replies.

Enjoy the site!

January 26, 2018 12:07 am  #2

Re: Kitchener - Waterloo radio history

It's good to see that Dan's granddaughter, Rachael, is still keeping his website going after his passing.  Like the CKCO history site, (http://ckco-history.com/) it's a historical treasure trove.

January 26, 2018 12:53 am  #3

darcyh wrote:

A question relating to CKCR. Does anyone know the actual name of the DJ who called himself the "Nighthawk"? He played the top 40 stuff in the evening. I can't recall how long he was on CKCR or what the year span was, but I sure liked listening to him.

Believe it was Jack Schoone. He did the show on weekends. Was the station accountant, too. Went on to run his own chain of stations.

January 26, 2018 2:26 am  #4

re: A student-created program is aired on CKKW radio for the first time, in a project that would eventually lead the founding of CKMS.

*chuckles* From us to you in Waterloo .. CKMS-FM

My 1 year stint as a student DJ. It was fun.

January 26, 2018 7:37 am  #5

mike marshall wrote:

[    it was Jack Schoone 

BINGO!

January 27, 2018 7:50 am  #6

In the early CKCR 60’s we had two ampex tapes, two McCurdy turntables, a McCurdy board and it was announce-op, those were the days sans computers.   CKCR The Twin Voice of the Twin Cites as it was called then, simulcasting on AM 1490 and FM 96.7.  Jack Schoone did the Nighthawk show while Grant “Grantly’ Hoffman had a top 40 Friday night gig.  Only two stations then always going head-to-head with CKKW.  Until his passing, KW’s Dan Fisher regularly organized a luncheon for Kitchener radio alumni and the stories of failed cough buttons and open mike obscenities prevailed.  On Dan’s website he included some CKCR history.  http://www.danfisher.org/index.html John “Hoppy” Hodges did his C & W shows and a daily 15-minute gig from the Hi-Way market.  It really was a 15-minute commercial with one remote turntable.  Had to do a fill-in for John one day.  Try cueing an LP while reading a spot.  Ian Byers and Jack Schoone went on to become station owners in the Maritimes.   Later Ian went on his own and operated Huntsville radio until he passed away in 2008. 

Gary Megaffin

January 27, 2018 11:18 am  #7

Although it doesn't appear on your program list above, Schoone drew a MASSIVE radio audience on Thursday evenings 1958/59/60.        Requests & dedications (mostly phony but all in fun).    It was the talk of K-W C & VS (KCI for short)

Last edited by Jonny (January 27, 2018 11:18 am)