sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2018 12:22 pm  #1

Rogers terminates Vice partnership after just three years

Viceland will cease broadcasting on March 31/2018

https://www.bnn.ca/rogers-terminates-vice-partnership-just-over-3-years-after-launch-1.975030

Last edited by cash (January 22, 2018 12:23 pm)

January 22, 2018 2:56 pm  #2

Re: Rogers terminates Vice partnership after just three years

The Toronto Star story on this is a bit more detailed - including the startling fact that its ratings are so bad, the U.S. version of Vice - partly funded by HBO and comedian Bill Maher - reportedly only attracts an audience estimated at 55,000 viewers a day. Yikes! That's less than pathetic and is certainly unsustainable.

Despite that, Vice Canada insists it's still going to operate here. On what size budget remains unknown. 

The lure of attracting millennials was too much for everyone who jumped into this with both feet and open cash registers, but clearly that age cohort just isn't interested in this tightening Vice. 

Toronto Star: Viceland channel’s future uncertain as Rogers pulls plug 

January 22, 2018 4:10 pm  #3

shocked.... SHOCKED!
According to a CBC article.....
"From a broadcaster's perspective, the Viceland model is just one of many where initial plans don't pan out into growing the business. A major problem for the channell, Waddell says, is that its target demographic is young people under the age of 35, who generally eschew paying for cable television packages."The audience for Viceland for the TV channel was not very large and Rogers was losing money on it," Waddell said. 

January 22, 2018 5:38 pm  #4

How long until Vice suckers in Bell or Blue Ant? I can't see Corus wanting their press site to have a toddler show next to "F*** That's Delicious."

January 22, 2018 5:53 pm  #5

It's aimed at my grown up kids. They don't have TVs or cable. If it's not on the Internet or an app, they won't watch it (other than maybe sports at a bar).

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (January 22, 2018 5:53 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 25, 2018 2:04 pm  #6

And the job losses have begun.

Vice Media Cuts Jobs After Rogers TV Deal Ends

January 25, 2018 2:46 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

And the job losses have begun.

Vice Media Cuts Jobs After Rogers TV Deal Ends

Just to be clear, it was Vice Media that did the pink slipping. I know how people like to assume and slam corps.

August 16, 2018 2:28 pm  #8

Retaw wrote:

How long until Vice suckers in Bell or Blue Ant? I can't see Corus wanting their press site to have a toddler show next to "F*** That's Delicious."

Took about 7 months.

I figured Randy as the type who'd get sweet talked by Vice. At least Bell were smart enough to just take the programming and not commit to anything more.