sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2018 1:05 pm  #1

The Radio Documentary We'd Like To See

They don't often make a lot of radio documentaries anymore. The CKLW Story that came out a few years ago is certainly an exception. I think there are a few Radio Caroline videos floating around (pun intended.)

I just found another trailer for one online, although it appears it may have been made a few years ago. It seems like it will finally be released later this year, although I have to confess, I've never heard of WHFS, which served the Washington, D.C. area in the late 60s. 

But if what's in the trailer is any indication - and from the number of famous musical types who comment - it must have been a pioneer of the genre. 

I just wish someone would make a short film about the early days of CHUM-FM, Q107 or even CFNY, before those who worked there go to their final great sign offs. In the meantime, the trailer below is well worth three minutes of your day, even if you've never heard of the station. 

Baltimore Sun: Remembering WHFS

January 24, 2018 2:20 pm  #2

Re: The Radio Documentary We'd Like To See

Nice clip and it opens with the Firesign Theatre.

Have read a lot about the station. They had a successor which I used on listen to in the early days of internet radio called WRNR in Baltimore. Some of the same jocks worked there. RNR eventually was watered down.

They have been working on a doc for WBCN Boston for maybe 5 years now and despite a crowd funding effort nothing has been released yet.

Agree that stations such as WBCN, KSAN, WNEW, WMMR, CHUM FM, CHOM FM and CFNY should all have docs. All had a colourful cast of characters and stories.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/