sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2018 5:49 pm  #1

Rescan Plan: New Buffalo Subcarrier On Channel 2.4

If you have an over the air TV antenna, it’s time to rescan because there’s a new subcarrier in town. Actually, that town is Buffalo, since there are no such counterparts in Canada.

WGRZ-TV has added a new outlet, on channel 2.4. It’s “Quest” and right now there’s a barker announcement on there explaining what’s coming. On most TVs, you’ll need to either rescan or try to tune it in separately if you want to get it. It officially debuts January 29th at 6 PM. 

So what, exactly, is “Quest?” According to its website (Forgive the caps – I don’t have the time or patience to change it):

“QUEST IS A 24/7 BROADCAST TELEVISION NETWORK THAT ENTERTAINS AND INFORMS ITS VIEWERS WITH EXHILARATING ADVENTURE PROGRAMMING ABOUT NATURE’S GREATEST DANGERS, HISTORY’S GREATEST MYSTERIES AND MAN’S GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS.”

For whatever that’s worth. It's partly run by Tegna, which also owns WGRZ-TV.

You can get a look at some of the programming here.

January 21, 2018 6:22 pm  #2

Re: Rescan Plan: New Buffalo Subcarrier On Channel 2.4

While on the subject of rescanning, I just noticed something very strange. There's been a feed of "Laff TV" on WKBW's subcarrier 7.2 for a while now. For some unfathomable reason, it's also popped up on a WIVB subcarrier - on channel 4.4! This despite the fact Channel 4 doesn't have any other subcarriers occupying 4.2 or 4.3. Pretty strange considering these outlets are supposed to be exclusive to one station per market.  

January 21, 2018 11:22 pm  #3

Is Bounce TV still around? 
It is supposed to be found at 4.3, I thought...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 22, 2018 6:49 am  #4

23.2 I believe

January 22, 2018 4:38 pm  #5

I used to pick up WGRZ fairly reliably but it has been months since I have locked down any kind of a signal on it. The other south Buffalo and Grand Island transmissions are generally reliable for me here in Cabbagetown. I would have thought winter would be better, not worse, due to the reduced foliage blocking the line of sight from my roof to Buffalo.

January 22, 2018 4:53 pm  #6

It's sometimes so site specific. WGRZ is one of the strongest signals into northern North York, but I have trouble with WIVB a lot of times. I can't wait for the repack switch, when they go on the WNLO tower, which, according to a Channel 4 engineer I spoke to, should vastly improve OTA reception in the GTA. 

Have you tried an amplifier? It's amazing what a difference it can make.  

January 22, 2018 6:14 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

It's sometimes so site specific. WGRZ is one of the strongest signals into northern North York, but I have trouble with WIVB a lot of times. I can't wait for the repack switch, when they go on the WNLO tower, which, according to a Channel 4 engineer I spoke to, should vastly improve OTA reception in the GTA. 

Have you tried an amplifier? It's amazing what a difference it can make.  

Yes, WNLO is broadcast from Grand Island, 25 or 30 miles closer to us than WIVB's current tower. I have never experienced an outage of their feed and in fact have picked it up with dollar-store rabbit ears on top of the TV set.

I actually have two, very different styled antennae on the roof - one for each of the living room and bedroom. One of them is amplified but the results are generally quite similar.

January 22, 2018 7:31 pm  #8

Quest looks like its going to be the OTA version of Discovery channel.  Pretty cool!   I didnt need to re-scan on my Samsung tvs - the sub-carriers when added seem to automatically add themselves to that actual channel.

When WIVB moves to the WNLO tower, whats going to happen with its current(old) tower if anyone knows?