sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2018 9:30 am  #1

"Someone clicked the wrong thing."

The New York Times is reporting that Hawaii's false missile alert happened during a shift change. "Someone clicked the wrong thing." a spokesman said.

Radio 'peeps' are going to be spoiled for choice this week for topics. Do you think "someone clicked the wrong thing."  becomes a "that's what she said at the picnic" tagline?

"Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" by Ultravox as a music bumper perhaps?

"No shite" the possible quip somebody makes as a callback referencing the latest Trump thing?

And yes I am being flippant, and yes it was a scary event, and yes, joking about the bad stuff is how some of us get through the bad stuff. Especially us radio 'peeps'.

Last edited by betaylored (January 14, 2018 10:16 am)

January 14, 2018 10:51 am  #2

Re: "Someone clicked the wrong thing."

By sheer coincidence, my brother happens to be in Hawaii this week for a conference. He's a pretty stoic person and in an email he sent me, he said only that he didn't believe the text and that he didn't panic, calling it only an "interesting morning" and something he'll remember "after our holiday."

As it turns out, he was right but I'm not so sure I would have been as calm. (Knowing me, I probably would have posted something to SOWNY about radio & TV coverage as my last words...)

He didn't say where he was when it happened or what, if anything, he and his wife did during the non-emergency. I expect those details when he gets home next week.