sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2018 10:52 am  #1

Scheer crap - bad music can kill an ad.

Yikes. Where did they get that poor excuse for a music bed for PC MP Andrew Scheer's video ad that's making the rounds. I was trying to listen, but was distracted from the rice pudding writing, by the godawful tinny music running underneath. Clearly every expense was spared, and just as clearly, no radio people or anyone who loves music was involved in this project. Or else they were overruled possibly.

There's a Jeep 4×4 radio ad getting airplay that has super music. I could care less about the brand, but the jaunty, cheery music keeps me from changing the station. Likewise, the music supporting the real estate ad on Newstalk has a good, bouncy beat that keeps the momentum of that ad moving well.

Great music can't save bad copy or a clunky read, but the wrong music, or music at the wrong level can defeat an ad. Trying to save money by using cheap music...sheer madness.

January 12, 2018 11:23 am  #2

Re: Scheer crap - bad music can kill an ad.

betaylored wrote:

I could care less about the brand

Please quantify, how much less

January 12, 2018 4:48 pm  #3

Jonny wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I could care less about the brand

Please quantify, how much less

On a scale of one to ten, somewhere between 'meh' and 'damn, if I get a call to audition for a car ad, I may want a passing familiarity with the tricky lingo.' How's that? ;)

January 13, 2018 12:04 pm  #4

It works the other way as well.
The past couple of years, Vistaprint has used a re-worked version of Lloyd Price's "Personality" in their Christmas campaigns.  Whenever I would trip across it on the PVR I would find myself stopping to watch the spots just for the music.  Hell, if I could buy that recording I would.  The music did its job.  It held me as a viewer.  (And yes, I'm also a long-time satisfied Vistaprint customer)

Think of all the pop songs that started out as commercial jingle.

Last edited by Peter the K (January 13, 2018 12:04 pm)