sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2018 7:57 pm  #1

"Shithole Countries" on CNN

Anyone else surprised that CNN actually showed the word "Shithole" on their graphics?

never worked ever, in radio

January 11, 2018 8:33 pm  #2

Re: "Shithole Countries" on CNN

Peter Alexander actually said the word over a non-censored graphic on NBC Nightly News Thursday night. It was preceded by a viewer warning.  

NBC Nightly News video

Not sure about ABC, but CBS chose not to run the full word at all.

January 11, 2018 8:37 pm  #3

It's an entirely different context, of course, but I noticed this past week an ad for the season debut of CBC's "Schitt's Creek" aired repeatedly on the artist formerly known as AM 640. And no, there was no bleeping of the word as there had been in the past.

I'm not sure if this spot wound up on any other station, but I guess Stafford can stop using "shyte" from now on, since this seems to now be an acceptable bit of language in any daypart. 

True, the CBC show's name is spelled differently - but that's not at all apparent on a radio ad.  

January 11, 2018 8:44 pm  #4

I don't think it will faze too many people.   When we launched mojo in 2K1 I ran a comments line, blatantly stolen from CFRB's 'Access Line' Called the "Shoot the Shit line".  Promos ran, people called, nobody had any issues with it at all, and all was well.

At least till someone came riding in on his great white steed from the excited states to save us all, and more importantly protect those gentle folks known as Corus shareholders in the US bible belt.

Incubus indeed.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 11, 2018 9:15 pm  #5

"shithole" is a direct quote.  that is newsworthy.

January 11, 2018 9:53 pm  #6

Let's be clear about what is going on here

CNN is doing all it can 24 hours a day to discredit Trump -- yes I know that's a big surprise

If 2 or 3 viewers find that graphic offensive then CNN has accomplished its mission

And CNN is on a mission

They've given up reporting "the news" in large part many months ago

CNN is a disgrace

CNN is out of their fucking minds

Now there's a couple of good graphics

January 11, 2018 10:24 pm  #7

I'm no big fan of the Orange One either, but there's no doubt that Trump Derangement is going on non-stop on many, OK, most of the news networks. And the guy's bringing a lot of it on himself. Still, I found it fascinating that one of the man's most vocal TV critics, Joe Scarborough of MSNBC, has now officially admitted that bias on the record - and implicates most of his colleagues as being in the same boat. 

"Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, Trump critics, said on Katie Couric's podcast that the media has gone too far..."The entire mainstream media, we are reflexively anti-Trump on all things," Scarborough said on an episode of Katie Couric's podcast that was previewed by The Hollywood Reporter. "We're over our skis and it's going to hurt us," Brzezinski said."

Sadly, I don't disagree. The problem is that when you criticize anyone for EVERYTHING they do, some people stop listening. God knows, Trump creates a lot of his own problems. But when you start doing 30 min. interviews critiquing how he shakes hands in a frame-by-frame examination of where his fingers are or whether his wife looked at him funny, you lose credibility.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the media hates him as much as they seem to, the best thing they can do is let Trump sink himself. Because this endless criticism over every nitpicking thing only helps him sell his "fake news" narrative. And that surely isn't what they want.

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough Says the Media Is "Reflexively Anti-Trump"

January 11, 2018 11:17 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

The problem is that when you criticize anyone for EVERYTHING they do, some people stop listening.

When you start doing 30 min. interviews critiquing how he shakes hands in a frame-by-frame examination of where his fingers are or whether his wife looked at him funny, you lose credibility.

This endless criticism over every nitpicking thing only helps him sell his "fake news" narrative.  

CNN has become unwatchable

January 11, 2018 11:56 pm  #9

unclefester wrote:

CNN is a disgrace

You know what is truly a disgrace .. 

Watching White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders gaslight & outright lie daily is a disgrace.

Watching U.S. President Senior Advisor Stephen Miller viciously attack the integrity of all who dare pose any question of his "emperor" is a disgrace.

Watching a President who can barely speak a coherent sentence is a disgrace.

etc, etc, etc ..

I don't need media to tell me Trump is a disgrace; all I need to do is watch Trump himself and the disgrace is laid out for all to see.

When your country is under attack by the underbelly of society, fight back & fight back hard.

January 11, 2018 11:59 pm  #10

On social media there's a fair amount of discussion on whether it should be "shithole" or "shit-hole" with various grammar geeks weighing in. It is a handy word in any event. Some clever fellow put a Trump-like bit of hair and an angry open mouth on the poo emoji, and the strong resemblance to POO-TUS is striking.

I prefer the word shite-hole, it just sounds more interesting.

January 12, 2018 12:04 am  #11

Please don't take this in a trump / anti-trump direction any more than it has.  This is right up there with the abortion debate, psychics, religion and cops in schools.  Nobody is changing their mind anytime soon and it just turns into a pissing contest.

Pretty please...

Seacrest out..  

January 12, 2018 12:13 am  #12

sorry iain .. i just find this whole situation incredibly deplorable ..

January 12, 2018 12:22 am  #13

g121 wrote:

sorry iain .. i just find this whole situation incredibly deplorable ..

No sorry needed, I completely agree.  It's just the Trump topic burnout is insane.  Dusting off my old executive producer hat, nobody is getting anything out of it, and it's just pushing people away.  

January 12, 2018 9:09 am  #14

unclefester wrote:

Let's be clear about what is going on here

CNN is doing all it can 24 hours a day to discredit Trump -- yes I know that's a big surprise

If 2 or 3 viewers find that graphic offensive then CNN has accomplished its mission

And CNN is on a mission

They've given up reporting "the news" in large part many months ago

CNN is a disgrace

Now there's a couple of good graphics

>> They've given up reporting "the news" in large part many months ago

Many years ago actually, along with the rest of the media.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 12, 2018 9:57 am  #15

Reminds me of all the times the legendary John Michael (CKTB) would say "wretched country". But with his English accent, it sounded like Rat Shit. RIP

January 12, 2018 10:07 am  #16

cGrant wrote:

Reminds me of all the times the legendary John Michael (CKTB) would say "wretched country". But with his English accent, it sounded like Rat Shit. RIP

Funny, I was just thinking of that this morning. He was great. He also used to say "You can say 'ass' and you can 'hole.' You just can't say them together."

Speaking of which and getting back to the broadcasting aspect (and away from the polarizing politics) of this story, I notice that most newscasters are using "s-hole" to refer to the word. Of course, "s-hole" sounds like another formerly taboo word, so I'm not sure they're any farther ahead! 

January 12, 2018 11:38 am  #17

On the Agar round table 9 - 10 a.m. the host suggested the term "shit hole" was not inaccurate.   

Jerry said he has been to the country in question and while he found the people wonderful - the description "shit hole" was accurate in his opinion.

Caught his guests a bit flat footed with that remark.

Last edited by unclefester (January 13, 2018 4:29 pm)

January 12, 2018 12:50 pm  #18

There's more to it than just  S hole. This from one of the few congressional witnesses to the meeting yesterday. So the White House speaks the truth and then denies it ?

Last edited by Fitz (January 12, 2018 12:50 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 12, 2018 8:15 pm  #19

First off, it's strange (and yet cool) to hear Dawna Friesen over at Global National say "shithole" uncensored tonight. And that was after Jackson Proskow said it the night before (and Francis DeSouza as well over at CityTV).  Trump has brought out a new trend on local news in Canada at least... open swearing on the 6pm newscasts. Sure woke me up.

But apparently down south, some folks don't want to hear their newscasters saying the S-word:
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/trump-shithole-fcc-complaints-1202662858/

January 12, 2018 9:51 pm  #20

I'm glad this thread came up; but for another reason.  I noticed that the American networks and some Canadian are saying the actual word Shithole as well as putting up a graphic; with the word on your screen.  CNN, NBC, CBS and MNBC; among others.  

This morning however I tune into 680 news.  Is it because it's radio; but they refer to the word as S-Hole.  What are we 5 year olds?  Why does TV take a grown up look at what was said and radio here talks to us as if we were children. Are there different rules for radio of what can be said?  Maybe that's the answer.  I don't know.  I must admit I was a initially surprised; when I saw the word across my TV screen; but I got used to the story pretty quickly.  I believe TV is a little more progressive in matters like these.

On another note, I remember when CNN was actually a news station.  Now It's all TRUMP all the time.  I think it started back in the OJ years.

Last edited by AMFM (January 12, 2018 9:55 pm)

January 12, 2018 10:16 pm  #21

Not just CNN. Trump tells so many untruths that it's hard not to cover the orange one. Meanwhile his supporters continue to live in a bubble and claim that he's just not PC. One clear example of this that they can't blame on the fake media. His tweet about why he cancelled his trip to England. Truth seekers only have to check with the Bush state department announcement from 2008. They are the ones that made the decision to move the US embassy in Britain for security reasons but Trump in his usual anti Obama distraction tweeted this:

“Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO.”

Last edited by Fitz (January 12, 2018 10:17 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 13, 2018 12:29 am  #22

crap on CNN for valid reasons.  but also acknowledge that Fox News is the mouthpiece of the administration.... American media is so polarized that none can be trusted.

January 13, 2018 1:00 am  #23

splunge wrote:

crap on CNN for valid reasons.  but also acknowledge that Fox News is the mouthpiece of the administration.... American media is so polarized that none can be trusted.

Quoted for truth

While both sides in the U.S. media get their rocks off daily the American economy is boom - boom - booming

Food for thought

January 13, 2018 9:40 am  #24

Well here's another truth that people may not realize but don't take my word for it have a look at the labor stats. More jobs were created in the USA in 2016 than 2017. I know for some these stats are considered "fake" when they don't favor the orange one and real if they do.

Stock market has been hot for some years. Granted that the gains made in it before and after Trump have mostly favored the wealthy. A look below the numbers reveals for the lower segments there has been little movement. Unemployment is at a 17 year low and was 4,1 in 2017 but it has been on a downward trend for at least 6 years and was 4.7 in 2016.

Also the economies around the world have generally been booming.

We have to wait a while to see what the true impact of the recent US passed tax cuts will be. The jury at best is still out.

Last edited by Fitz (January 13, 2018 9:44 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 13, 2018 10:43 am  #25

OK, time to weigh in and say how disappointed I was with the Toronto Star and other Toronto media not reporting the exact words POTUS used to describe Haiti and African countries. As a former Program Director at CFRB, I would have told News and talk show hosts to use shit hole. It's NEWS! No debate. Report and discuss the news. Do your job. Be fearless. Instead some media practiced chicken shit journalism.

Last edited by kowchmedia (January 13, 2018 3:45 pm)

January 13, 2018 1:22 pm  #26

It's probably inevitable that the 'n' word is somehow going to make it into presidential vernacular sometime soon.  I can't imagine how that will be handled. 

BTW the best part about 'Shithole' shortened to 'S-Hole' is it sounds like ass-hole, which I'm not sure was better in the long run??   

January 13, 2018 5:16 pm  #27

Fitz wrote:

Well here's another truth that people may not realize but don't take my word for it have a look at the labor stats. More jobs were created in the USA in 2016 than 2017. I know for some these stats are considered "fake" when they don't favor the orange one and real if they do.

Stock market has been hot for some years. Granted that the gains made in it before and after Trump have mostly favored the wealthy. A look below the numbers reveals for the lower segments there has been little movement. Unemployment is at a 17 year low and was 4,1 in 2017 but it has been on a downward trend for at least 6 years and was 4.7 in 2016.

Also the economies around the world have generally been booming.

We have to wait a while to see what the true impact of the recent US passed tax cuts will be. The jury at best is still out.

I'll spend my time & energy applauding the booming record-setting economic numbers

You bemoan the other stuff

January 14, 2018 5:02 am  #28

Many foreign news organizations struggled to translate 'shithole' countries. In Taiwan it was "countries where birds don't lay eggs", in Japan as "countries that are dirty like toilets" and in Croatia as "places where wolves fuck" which turned out to be funny in more ways than one, as the other news organizations have now had to choose whether or not to use the word 'fuck' if they cover the translation angle of the story.

All this seems pretty unimportant in the face of the latest news, the missile false alarm.

January 14, 2018 8:46 pm  #29

Laughed at the Norwegian guy who commented about Trump saying why can't the USA get more immigrants from Norway....he said (in Norwegian) "The USA? Why would I want to live in that shit hole country?"...and yes, CNN is off the rails about Trump but Fox "News" is clearly their antithesis...anyone who can't see that Fox is the 'mainstream' network backing the Trump administration daily (see also RT in Russia, CCTV in China and KCTV in North Korea) must not want to see it...I mean he quotes what he sees on their morning show almost daily...they know he's watching and want to make him happy...it's 'unpresidented'

January 15, 2018 1:31 am  #30

There's a great photo in some newsfeeds. Some clever soul has flooded the front of a Trump hotel at night with brightly colored spot lights with "shithole" spelled out in giant letters. *"shithole": is coincidentally an anagram for "his hotel"

*via an Erin Davis tweet.