sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2018 9:38 am  #1

My first Canadian HD DX Lock

I thought I'd share clips of my first Canadian HD DX Lock. I hope y'all don't mind I post stuff like this, no ones complained.. so i'll keep posting but I promise not to do it every day and keep it to interesting stuff. I have not yet gotten HD from CIHR 104.7 or CHKX 94.7.

Location: Ridgway, Pennsylvania (NW corner of the state, halfway between State College Pennsylvania and Olean New York, about 175 miles south of Toronto).
2000 feet in elevation.
 Equipment: Sangean HDT1, 5 element log periodic FM Antenna (soon to be upgraded to 9 element log periodic!) and Zoom H1 digital recorder. 

CING, 95.3 Fresh Radio Hamilton Ontario has flashed the HD logo before on the radio but never locked until now. I finally nabbed CING HD1, 2 and 3 and Tuesday Jan 9th and Wed January 10th. 

Here's CING 95.3 HD1 with a Shawn Hook song into DJ chatter and then into a commercial break. Tue Jan 9th about 945pm, audio is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eWiCoxDcgcDk2J1Y526S_HnNuOxBt7T9/view?usp=sharing 

Here's CING 95.3 HD2 with a commercial then a promo for a Sunday show on CFMJ 640, which is the programming feed on HD2. The lock didn't hold for very long, only about 20 seconds. Tue Jan 9th at 817pm, audio is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pfkXdOVz0Yt3hroRT11bTDV00Zb5usnU/view?usp=sharing 

CING 95.3 HD3 is a simulcast of CHML 900. The lock held for a few minutes on Wed Jan 10th at 1024am, audio is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rOIuUpcuOtW7K9uYfPVa-y6R3gs5IGkG/view?usp=sharing

January 11, 2018 10:02 am  #2

Re: My first Canadian HD DX Lock

Have you tried The Grand at 92.9. Last week I was driving back from McMaster U in Hamilton Ontario and was able to pick the station from Hamilton to Mississauga. Somewhere near Oakville I started to get interference. Probably from Jack FM in Buffalo. The latter station would have had a clear route all the way into Toronto before The Grand Launched. That's another example of the main reason that some American signals have been obliterated in Southern Ontario. The addition of Canadian signals. 

Anyway re The Grand. I heard an interesting music mix. Some nice early 1970's selections plus Little Peggy March and Pop Goes The World by Men Without Hats. There was a Kenny Loggins track and would much preferred a Loggins and Messina album  track like Angry Eyes but it's 2018.

Last edited by Fitz (January 11, 2018 10:08 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 11, 2018 10:11 am  #3

Fitz wrote:

Have you tried The Grand at 92.9. Last week I was driving back from McMaster U in Hamilton Ontario and was able to pick the station from Hamilton to Mississauga. Somewhere near Oakville I started to get interference. Probably from Jack FM in Buffalo. The latter station would have had a clear route all the way into Toronto before The Grand Launched. That's another example of the main reason that some American signals have been obliterated in Southern Ontario. The addition of Canadian signals. 

Anyway re The Grand. I heard an interesting music mix. Some nice early 1970's selections plus Little Peggy March and Pop Goes The World by Men Without Hats. There was a Kenny Loggins track and would much preferred a Loggins and Messina album  track like Angry Eyes but it's 2018.

ACtually, I have heard 92.9 The Grand CHTG Haldimand. It gets interfered with a bit from Jack FM Buffalo, NY but there's an Ontario Cehvrolet commercial and 92.9 The Grand jingle in this audio clip from 5 minutes on: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d2GWKqn-mS_Ub9izbs0gLZcYnocA5uPU/view?usp=sharing

January 12, 2018 10:29 pm  #4

This thread reminded me of the hundreds of old AM QSL cards from the 1960s in a filing cabinet in my basement. Why do I keep them? Who knows? Many of the stations are gone, or have new call letters. In the age of Internet radio, no one cares anyway.

And yet, I keep them. All the envelopes they came in too.

Guess my kids can shred them some day. LOL

January 12, 2018 10:40 pm  #5

Dial Twister wrote:

This thread reminded me of the hundreds of old AM QSL cards from the 1960s in a filing cabinet in my basement. Why do I keep them? Who knows? Many of the stations are gone, or have new call letters. In the age of Internet radio, no one cares anyway.

And yet, I keep them. All the envelopes they came in too.

Guess my kids can shred them some day. LOL

I know folks who have been DXing 30-40-50 years and still have every QSL card they ever got. I don't.. ive been DXing 20 years (I'm 34) and ive thrown some out, especially ones i know i can get more of, from stations still around....... half the thrill is hearing a signal from halfway around the world, 1/4 of the thrill is getting mail from halfway around the world and the other 1/4 is keeping a few qsl cards to show off