sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2018 12:14 pm  #1

Another Veteran Joins Legendary Line-Up On Buffalo Radio

For a one lung station at 1230 AM (with an FM repeater at 102.9 to be fair) WECK in Buffalo has quite the roster. The latest is a guy named Joe Chille, who worked for an amazing 34 years on and off the air in the city, some of it as morning man for WJYE-FM. 

So far, the station's line-up includes Tom Donahue, Jon Summers, Harv Moore, Mike Jacobs, John Zach and Danny Neaverth on a part time basis. I only wish you could actually get the 1,000 watt daytime, 250 night signal here. At a time when most stations are jettisoning their veterans for lower paid talent (and in many cases, lesser talent as well) this is a nice change. I'll be curious to see how they do in the next ratings book.

WKBW tried this a few years ago (albeit without the FM signal) and despite talent like Jackson Armstrong returning to the mic, it died as quickly as it came. But it sure was fun while it lasted.  

Radio veteran returning to radio as afternoon host at WECK

January 8, 2018 12:31 pm  #2

Re: Another Veteran Joins Legendary Line-Up On Buffalo Radio

Hey RA. I can listen to WECK via Spotify-Tunein and my Sonos box. Crisp stereo sound through my 38 year old Acoustic Research speakers. I don't think they will show up in the Buffalo ratings anytime soon, as they do not subscribe to the Neilsen service. Only stations that do, are listed. If you want to check out radio ratings for any U.S. market check out stationratings.com . It is totally free.

January 8, 2018 12:46 pm  #3

Thanks Mace. I know you can get it online, but I do a lot of my listening out of the house and can't get the thing at all OTA here in northern North York. Didn't know they're not part of Neilsen. I wonder why? With that line-up and the FM repeater, you might think they'd do OK in their own market. 

Appreciate the rating site tip, too!

January 8, 2018 11:51 pm  #4

My gawd...is Danny Neaverth still 'kickin' out the JAMS?  He was a legend back in the very late 80s when I was talking to 1520 WWKB about a 'programming' job.  Now...about 40 years later!!!  Danny is still a 'draw' for Buffalo ratings.  HOT DAMN!!!

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had moved 'down' to Buffalo then?  In retrospect?  I'm good.  AND No Donald Trump to contend with.  Talk about 'luckin' out.  Good luck WECK.  Kick some mighty ass.

January 9, 2018 6:58 pm  #5

Old Codger wrote:

My gawd...is Danny Neaverth still 'kickin' out the JAMS?  He was a legend back in the very late 80s when I was talking to 1520 WWKB about a 'programming' job.  Now...about 40 years later!!!  Danny is still a 'draw' for Buffalo ratings.  HOT DAMN!!!

Neavereth is doing limited duty on the station, hosting only on Friday just to keep his hand in the biz. He calls it therapy after his wife - long the butt of many of his jokes - passed away last August.

Marie Neaverth, frequent topic of husband's long-running radio show dies at 86

January 16, 2018 12:45 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

For a one lung station at 1230 AM (with an FM repeater at 102.9 to be fair) WECK in Buffalo has quite the roster. The latest is a guy named Joe Chille, who worked for an amazing 34 years on and off the air in the city, some of it as morning man for WJYE-FM. 

So far, the station's line-up includes Tom Donahue, Jon Summers, Harv Moore, Mike Jacobs, John Zach and Danny Neaverth on a part time basis. I only wish you could actually get the 1,000 watt daytime, 250 night signal here. At a time when most stations are jettisoning their veterans for lower paid talent (and in many cases, lesser talent as well) this is a nice change. I'll be curious to see how they do in the next ratings book.

WKBW tried this a few years ago (albeit without the FM signal) and despite talent like Jackson Armstrong returning to the mic, it died as quickly as it came. But it sure was fun while it lasted.  

Radio veteran returning to radio as afternoon host at WECK

Hey RA, I found another ratings website [Radio Online] and it had the Fall 2017 Buffalo Ratings. WECK had a 1.4 share down from 2.2 in the spring and 2.6 in the summer. For the record WYRK [10.7] WBLK [7.9] WBEN [7.6] and WGRF [7.0] are the top 4 stations. 102.5 creams 96.1 6.5 to 2.7. GR has a 5.8. KB 0.4.

January 16, 2018 1:01 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

The 80's were only 30 years ago. Nice try.
He's been around a while, yes, but
I remember Danny best on the late great Oldies 104. 
He was very good and very fuh-nee...

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 16, 2018 1:02 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.