sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2018 2:58 pm  #1

CRTC Launches Online Poll But What’s The Real Reason Behind It?

The CRTC is back from its long holiday layoff and its first order of business was launching an Ekos poll designed to discover what Canadians are watching – and the platforms where they’re viewing it.

I filled the thing out just to see what they were asking. The questions may change a bit depending on your answers, but among the ones I saw were: 

-How important is comedy, drama, news, etc. to you?

-Where do you listen to news or talk: online or traditional radio or both?

-Why do you listen on traditional radio/online?

-How often do you listen to radio in a week?

-If you don’t listen a lot online, why not?

-Why do you watch your shows on TV and not online?

And here’s the one that actually scares me a bit:

-How important is it that the content you watch is made in Canada?

That last one makes me fearful that the government is thinking of imposing ridiculous Can Con regs on the Internet, which of course would be completely pointless given it’s the WORLDWIDE web. But you never know. They’ve done dumber things.

According to a press release:

“This consultation arises from the Government's request that the CRTC submit a report on future distribution models for Canadian programming, as well as its continued creation, production and distribution.”

Uh oh.

If you want to take the survey, you can find it here.

January 5, 2018 12:03 am  #2

Re: CRTC Launches Online Poll But What’s The Real Reason Behind It?

What's the point in a survey if at least one person can do it over and over and over again?
How do you get the "Thank-you you have already done this survey" message??
OR
Does it actually delete a previous survey entry from your computer? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 5, 2018 1:58 am  #3

I just completed the survey, then refreshed.  It does seem that there is nothing to prevent me from completing the survey again.  Do you know any Bots to skew the outcome?

January 6, 2018 12:18 pm  #4

Many SOWNY contributors over the past yr have expressed frustration at REPETITION of the same radio & TV commercial -- over + over + over.   Everyone understands the necessity of sponsorship to the survival of commercial broadcasting but how commercial messages are managed has reportedly driven part of the audience away.     

That isn't touched upon in the survey unless one ticks "other", is it?

Last edited by Jonny (January 6, 2018 12:26 pm)

January 6, 2018 12:45 pm  #5

Jonny wrote:

Many SOWNY contributors over the past yr have expressed frustration at REPETITION of the same radio & TV commercial -- over + over + over.    
That isn't touched upon in the survey unless one ticks "other", is it?

To what end, Sir? Are you implying the CRTC regulate the frequency of spots?

January 6, 2018 6:54 pm  #6

The CRTC has made a MESS out of the industry in Canada.  It remains in deplorable condition only getting worse as time plods on.  One would ask for deregulation on many fronts as both the music and the radio industry spiral deep into the pig shit.  35% is WAY too much can con.  Let's try 20%...MAX and you get 2 points for playing anything by an artist[s] who's been recording for 4 years or less and 2.5 points for anyone who's been around for 12 months or less.  That'll grow the industry w/o poisoning the airwaves.  Those newer artists can collectively account for up to 50% of the 20% total so as not to eliminate the established stars.  Make the 20% can con quota last all 24 hours each day.

For oldies stations...can con should only have to account for 10% of the total.  Anything more is NOT realistic.  Canadian audiences should NOT be made to suffer...thus chasing them off to find signals from outer space or on-line.  Radio competing from a weakened position is unfair to the industry and to the folks at the speaker end of the radio.

CRTC...Hit the road.  You're bad for every aspect of the business.  Clueless dullards!!!

January 7, 2018 7:14 am  #7

cGrant wrote:

Are you implying the CRTC regulate the frequency of spots?

"This survey is asking Canadians who are 16 or older questions about their listening and viewing habits".