sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2018 10:49 am  #1

106.5 FM In Toronto Readies For Takeoff - Again

The replacement for the old Aboriginal Voices Radio - which lost its licence after repeated compliance problems - is almost ready for sign on. They've made some sort of arrangement with Corus for their facilities and are already hiring. 

"We've already got many people who have applied for jobs with us," APTN's CEO Jean La Rose said, noting each station will have a staff of between eight to 12 people, with special consideration given to Indigenous applicants."

Actually I'm surprised they're not all Indigenous, since there will be so many native languages spoken on the station. 

I wonder if the people who run - or more aptly, so far haven't run - CKNT in Mississauga will take a lesson on how to get a radio station on air in time. 

New Indigenous radio stations soon to hit airwaves  

(By the way, what's with the radio pic on this article? It hardly looks like something you'd use to listen to an FM station. With so many stock pics available, why would they settle on that one?)

January 4, 2018 12:21 pm  #2

Re: 106.5 FM In Toronto Readies For Takeoff - Again

RadioActive wrote:

I'm surprised they're not all Indigenous, since there will be so many native languages spoken on the station    

Hope they bring Don Andrews back; he has a deep, throaty Scarborough accent

January 4, 2018 1:14 pm  #3

Haha I didnt mind it when listening to the original "Voices Radio" 106.5 Toronto when it was on air.  Signal was really good too.  No commercials whatsoever just slow ballads all day when I was in the mood for that.

Is this going to be the same format? 

January 4, 2018 2:46 pm  #4

I doubt it will be the same, but the linked article gives a clue about what they're planning:

"...more than 120 hours of programming per week, with at least a quarter of that time dedicated to Indigenous music. Each station will have its own news bureau for local coverage and will be complemented by the APTN news service for national content. Morning and afternoon drive shows and call-ins will be hosted by strong Indigenous personalities."

So it looks like there will be some music - although likely not the kind you found so attractive - but also some talk shows, as well.