sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2018 5:17 pm  #1

Remembering the Radio Traffic Cowboys of the Skies

When was the very first airborne radio traffic report delivered? According to the linked article, the answer might surprise you. It says the original "eye in the sky" appeared on a New York City radio station way back in - get this - 1935. And it came from a blimp! 

That's just one of the many fascinating facts in a glance back at one of the most overlooked aspects of radio - the traffic reports. In addition to the evolution of the feature, there are also some sad reflections on those who died guiding drivers home from the air, including the crash that took the life of WGR Buffalo's Mike Rozman and his pilot in 1993.

The most infamous one I remember is the crash of the WNBC chopper in 1986, which happened live on air in the middle of a report during the Joey Reynolds afternoon drive show. The traffic check starts off normally, but at the end you can hear something happen to the helicopter and what reporter Jane Dornacker screams in that moment of crisis - and the silence that follows it - is simply chilling. You can relive it below. 

Remembering the Radio Traffic Cowboys of the Skies 

January 2, 2018 5:42 pm  #2

Re: Remembering the Radio Traffic Cowboys of the Skies

Was that the same Joey Reynolds of WKBW fame?  I seem to remember him in Buffalo in like, 1980 or 1981.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 2, 2018 6:29 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

Was that the same Joey Reynolds of WKBW fame?  I seem to remember him in Buffalo in like, 1980 or 1981.

Indeed it's the same guy. Although he was only there for a few years in the 60s, not the 80s. There's a famous story of how he left the station - and it proves he even quits funny. After getting into a huge dispute with station management, the guy in charge came in the next day to find Reynolds' huge sneakers nailed to his door. Attached to the shoes was a note that read simply, "Fill these."

Last I heard, Reynolds was hosting a paid time show Sunday nights on WABC called "The Late Joey Reynolds Show" (so called because it's on late.) And although he's doing talk now, he's still just as great as he ever was.  

January 2, 2018 6:47 pm  #4

Hmmmm - then there must've been another Joey on KB 15 (I'm thinking maybe 1981).  Because I wasn't around in the 60s ...lol

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 2, 2018 7:05 pm  #5

I went looking around to see if I could Google anything on YouTube on this mystery announcer I recall on KB.  He was sometimes on middays and mostly evenings.  His voice had that sort of Lou Reed, relaxed sound to him.  Like everything was just cool, you know?  I'm going to say between 1978 through to 1981.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 4, 2018 1:17 am  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

I went looking around to see if I could Google anything on YouTube on this mystery announcer I recall on KB.  He was sometimes on middays and mostly evenings.  His voice had that sort of Lou Reed, relaxed sound to him.  Like everything was just cool, you know?  I'm going to say between 1978 through to 1981.

These late '70s-early '80s lineups might be of help:

WKBW (1977)
(Source: Buffalo Evening News)
6-10 a.m. - DAN NEAVERTH
10 a.m.-2 p.m. - JON SUMMERS
2-7 p.m. - GEORGE HAMBERGER
7 p.m.-12 midnight - JAY FREDERICKS
12 midnight-6 a.m. - BEVERLEY
Weekends - C.J. McCOY

WKBW (1979)
(Source: Buffalo Evening News, Bill Dulmage)
6-10 a.m. - DAN NEAVERTH
2-7 p.m. - JAY FREDERICKS
7 p.m.-12 midnight - AL BANDIERO
12 midnight-6 a.m. - TOM ATKINS
Weekends - CRAIG MATTHEWS, JIM SNOWDON, RON ARLAND

WKBW (1980)(
Source: FRED Annual)

6-10 a.m. - DAN NEAVERTH
10 a.m.-3 p.,m. - JON SUMMERS
3-7 p.m. - JAY FREDERICKS
7 p.m.-12 midnight - RON ARLEN
12 midnight-6 a.m. - JIM SNOWDEN
Weekends - BOB McCRAE

WKBW (1982)
(Source: Bill Dulmage))
6-10 a.m. - DAN NEAVERTH
2-7 p.m. - HOLIN COOK
7 p.m.-12 midnight - CHUCK LAKEFIELD
12 midnight-6 a.m. - TRISH MATTIMORE

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 4, 2018 1:20 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 4, 2018 9:03 am  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

These late '70s-early '80s lineups might be of help:

WKBW (1977)
(Source: Buffalo Evening News)
6-10 a.m. - DAN NEAVERTH
2-7 p.m. - GEORGE HAMBERGER
7 p.m.-12 midnight - JAY FREDERICKS
12 midnight-6 a.m. - BEVERLEY
Weekends - C.J. McCOY
12 midnight-6 a.m. - TRISH MATTIMORE

Thanks Dale.  Maybe I should have gone looking on your site for airchecks as well.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton