sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2018 4:59 pm  #1

The Dumbest On Air Statement Of 2018 Has Already Been Made!

I know it’s only January 1st, but it’s going to really take some effort to beat what is certain to be the dumbest thing you’ll hear on the radio in this New Year.

GNR 640 Toronto has been endlessly running a yearly recap on Monday featuring a host of Global TV names, including Alan Carter, Jeff MacArthur and more. At the top of this show, Carter asks Global news anchor Farah Nasser what she thinks was the most important story of 2017.

Her answer is incredible. She picks the opioid crisis, which has sadly taken so many lives. And this is what she says.

“People go to sleep, thinking that they're totally fine...and then they wake up and they're not alive any more.”

And no, I’m not making that up. That's a direct quote. It’s right off the top of the show, and the worst part may be that it’s been airing every two hours since 6 in the morning!

There’s still 364 days left in 2018, but it’s going to take a lot to top that one.

[Edit: To be fair, I know Farah and I'm sure she just misspoke. But I can't believe an editor or a producer missed it and left that in.]

[Second edit: Apparently the folks at Sound Cloud have removed the outtake I posted there for whatever reason. So my apologies, but it's no longer available online.]

Last edited by RadioActive (January 1, 2018 6:47 pm)

January 1, 2018 5:32 pm  #2

Re: The Dumbest On Air Statement Of 2018 Has Already Been Made!

RadioActive wrote:

I can't believe an editor or a producer missed it and left that in.]

Maybe if their "editors" and "producers" weren't so busy endlessly interrupting the show hosts and actually concentrated on their actual jobs, the boo-boo would have been stifled. 

January 1, 2018 6:14 pm  #3

Perhaps the reason that so many 640 hosts feature so much 'spontaneously' contributed content is because they don't have the chops to carry the show themselves.

January 1, 2018 7:04 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I know it’s only January 1st, but it’s going to really take some effort to beat what is certain to be the dumbest thing you’ll hear on the radio in this New Year.

GNR 640 Toronto has been endlessly running a yearly recap on Monday featuring a host of Global TV names, including Alan Carter, Jeff MacArthur and more. At the top of this show, Carter asks Global news anchor Farah Nasser what she thinks was the most important story of 2017.

Her answer is incredible. She picks the opioid crisis, which has sadly taken so many lives. And this is what she says.

“People go to sleep, thinking that they're totally fine...and then they wake up and they're not alive any more.”

And no, I’m not making that up. That's a direct quote. It’s right off the top of the show, and the worst part may be that it’s been airing every two hours since 6 in the morning!

There’s still 364 days left in 2018, but it’s going to take a lot to top that one.

You can hear it for yourself here.

[Edit: To be fair, I know Farah and I'm sure she just misspoke. But I can't believe an editor or a producer missed it and left that in.]

Are you implying that the board ops recording the end-of-year pieces with the hosts are supposed to go through each piece and edit out what they think isn't appropriate, accurate, intelligent, etc? Do they do it after the fact, without permission, or do they stop the seasoned host/reporter and say "sorry Alan, but what you said was stupid, please do it again."

What if the host makes a political statement that the producer thinks is inappropriate? Should they edit that too?

Besides, this isn't the CBC. There aren't 5 taxpayer-funded producers working on this one show.

Hosts' responsibility, not board op/producers.

And cGrant, it's 2018. Time for new material. Actually, if you think about it, you're doing the exact same thing you claim to despise, and that is chiming in on a thread with some pointless, vapid comment. Pot, kettle...

Happy 2018 everybody!!!

January 1, 2018 7:19 pm  #5

Actually, this was taken from a TV broadcast and was done live. But when it was reprocessed for radio, that's when the mistake should have been caught.

A long time ago, I was producing an hour-long documentary show for a Toronto radio station that aired every Sunday morning. The program was on tape, of course, and over the weekend, I became absolutely convinced that there was an error in the thing - an edit I'd forgotten to make. 

So even though it was my day off, the day before it aired, I went all the way back downtown, took out the tape, went through the entire hour and made sure the error wasn't there.

My point is that making the on air people look good is the job of a good producer. The fact that this recap aired more than 6 times on 640 without someone taking the initiative to fix this obvious error is unfortunate.     

January 1, 2018 7:42 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, this was taken from a TV broadcast and was done live. But when it was reprocessed for radio, that's when the mistake should have been caught.

A long time ago, I was producing an hour-long documentary show for a Toronto radio station that aired every Sunday morning. The program was on tape, of course, and over the weekend, I became absolutely convinced that there was an error in the thing - an edit I'd forgotten to make. 

So even though it was my day off, the day before it aired, I went all the way back downtown, took out the tape, went through the entire hour and made sure the error wasn't there.

My point is that making the on air people look good is the job of a good producer. The fact that this recap aired more than 6 times on 640 without someone taking the initiative to fix this obvious error is unfortunate.     

Ah, didn't realize that it was pulled from TV, if that was the case.

I still think it's dangerous to give producers a green light to edit host comments that they think are lousy, stupid, or ill-informed. I would sometimes edit out stumbles, "ehhhhhs" or "ahhhhs", where appropriate, and when it didn't make the audio sound too choppy. Time checks and dated references as well. But never did I edit out any other content provided by the host, where I thought that what they said was idiotic, incorrect or inappropriate, unless we're talking about an accidental f-bomb that might incur the wrath of a CBSC complaint. If you allow producers to edit that heavily, how much artistic license do you give them?

January 1, 2018 8:04 pm  #7

Well, I don't disagree about changing someone's meaning. That's not right. 

But editing out one single line that would make the talent look silly isn't doing that. It's saving them. A lot depends on the circumstances. There's also the issue of time. I've had to take out a lot of good content simply because a show is running too long for the allotted time.

Does that involve altering said content? Sometimes, but it has to be done. I've had people edit my pieces for content and length as well. In most cases, though I disagreed with much of what was removed, they usually did me a favour in the long run.

And by the way, if I could count all the "umms" and "ahs" I've had to remove over the years, it would fill an hour long show in itself! I pity whoever tries to do that with our current Prime Minister! 

January 1, 2018 8:18 pm  #8

Fjiri wrote:

And cGrant, it's 2018. Time for new material. Actually, if you think about it, you're doing the exact same thing you claim to despise, and that is chiming in on a thread with some pointless, vapid comment. Pot, kettle...

I will as soon as 640 will. And, by the way, I'm not the only one that chimes in with the same pointless vapid comment. You can always count on a certain someone to wax endlessly about his vitriol about corporations and progress. And another person, under a certain one of his other many aliases to inject s**t disturbing dribble.

January 1, 2018 9:44 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Never fear .. as soon as the Orange One down south opens his yap, you'll have a new "dumbest thing said" ..

January 1, 2018 9:48 pm  #10

cGrant wrote:

I will as soon as 640 will. And, by the way, I'm not the only one that chimes in with the same pointless vapid comment. You can always count on a certain someone to wax endlessly about his vitriol about corporations and progress. And another person, under a certain one of his other many aliases to inject s**t disturbing dribble.

January 1, 2018 11:42 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Fjiri wrote:

January 2, 2018 10:20 am  #12

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 2, 2018 1:27 pm  #13

The 16 sec. aircheck of this outtake was removed by Soundcloud, but has now apparently been restored. Those still curious can hear it here.  

January 2, 2018 1:33 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

The 16 sec. aircheck of this outtake was removed by Soundcloud, but has now apparently been restored.

Wonder what's the story there? Did Corus demand the removal? Inquiring minds..... 🤔