sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2018 10:34 am  #1

The Strange Case Of The Missing Story On New Year’s Eve

I’ve worked in TV and radio newsrooms since 1977 and there’s always been one story that crops up during the dead zone that is the last few days of December. But after monitoring a lot of newscasts this year, that feature was strangely missing on every station I listened to.

What happened to the RIDE program warning? True, it’s a dull yarn that comes up every NY's Eve. And the verbiage is always the same. “Police will be out in force with RIDE spotchecks ensuring that drinking drivers don’t get on the road,” etc. etc. etc. It’s generally followed by a clip from a cop explaining the importance of the program, how you’ll be stopped and on and on.

So how do you explain that that story didn’t run on any – not one – of the dozens of TV and radio newscasts I’ve been listening to over the past few days? If it was there, I never heard it. And in fact, I didn't even notice it was gone until Jan. 1st.

Is it possible police asked the media to stop doing it? Why would they? Whatever the reason, it’s one of the oddest omissions for local media at year’s end I can remember. Especially when they're usually desperate for material. And in all these years, I’ve never seen it happen before. Or not happen, as the case may be.

January 1, 2018 11:37 am  #2

Re: The Strange Case Of The Missing Story On New Year’s Eve

To add to your point, their website also needs an update! 
"Media" is two years old! http://www.ridechecks.com/r-i-d-e-checks-in-the-media/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 2, 2018 7:15 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Is it possible police asked the media to stop doing it? Why would they? Whatever the reason, it’s one of the oddest omissions for local media at year’s end I can remember. Especially when they're usually desperate for material. And in all these years, I’ve never seen it happen before. Or not happen, as the case may be.

It's a conspiracy for more people to get caught in the police traps to boost arrest numbers.

January 2, 2018 9:48 am  #4

I never understood WHO those Police warnings were meant to appeal to? Most of us understand that drinking and driving don't mix. So, not us. Those that WILL drink and drive, won't pay heed to the message anyway. So, not them. Party convenors well understand their responsibility towards the safe return passage of their guests. So, not them.

Then, who? Other than fluff filler during dead news times, do those messages actually work? 

And, all the "drive safe because Toronto has 3mm of snow" crapola. Really? If you are licensed to drive, then the message is rather condescending. Who needs to be reminded of this? 

January 2, 2018 9:58 am  #5

cGrant wrote:

I never understood WHO those Police warnings were meant to appeal to? Most of us understand that drinking and driving don't mix. So, not us. Those that WILL drink and drive, won't pay heed to the message anyway. So, not them. Party convenors well understand their responsibility towards the safe return passage of their guests. So, not them.

I agree.  The reports themselves always seemed like fill, and serving no 'public service'.  Coming up after a break, Joe Smith from ADT with a list of all the banks and jewellery stores that forgot to arm their security systems when they closed at 6pm tonight'.

We've come a long way.  Remember there also used to be radar trap reports as well.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.