sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2017 10:15 am  #1

Re-rolling the Matt and Supriya re-roll: was it a cock-up?

Spinning around the radio dial early on Boxing Day, I listened to Matt and Supriya on 640's traditional re-roll day, chat about a restaurant somewhere that offers diners different size chickens (cocks was the word the restaurant used and that Matt and Supriya dissected the use of.) The topic unfolded predictably, so I turned the dial. Later on in the morning, just after 8:30am, I tuned back in to 640, and heard the exact same clip of the two hosts chatting about chicken vs. cock, yada etc.

My question is: how bloody hard/expensive can it be to come up with a whole three and a half hour show of re-roll material? Surely some board jockey could have been assigned to the task. Looks like am640 gave their listeners the bird in more ways than one on Boxing Day 2017.

December 26, 2017 11:33 am  #2

Re: Re-rolling the Matt and Supriya re-roll: was it a cock-up?

It's interesting you should say that, after what has to have been the worst 24 hours of radio of the year. Christmas is traditionally a dead zone for the medium and this Dec. 25th was no exception. 

I did a quick dial survey and found the majority of stations on both AM & FM devoting their entire skeds to the holiday. I take my dog for a walk about four times a day and I listen to the radio while we're out. Thank God for Funny 820 or there wouldn't have been anything besides Yule gruel to digest. Only 680 News and the two sports stations had anything close to regular programming - and the latter two were airing rerolls from CBS Sports and ESPN. (Who cares about old sports?)

Look, I've never had a problem with stations celebrating Christmas. My problem has always been EVERY station celebrating Christmas all day long. Who in the world would listen to CFRB playing 24 hours of holiday music when you can get that same music on every other station - and in FM and in stereo? Given their regular format, it makes absolutely no sense.

Toronto is no longer what it once was. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people who don't celebrate Christmas. They were completely abandoned yesterday. Maybe one day, someone will try something different. 

As far as AM 640 is concerned, the fact that they were using rerolls on Boxing Day is all you need to know. 1010 was live with substitute hosts on a day when there's a lot of people out and about going to malls, visiting friends, and yes, even working. The fact there was no one home up the dial on the day after Christmas is incredible. I wonder if they will be live the rest of the week, or have they just given up for the entire holiday?

It's always been my complaint about Corus' Toronto outlet.

So much potential. So little execution.

December 27, 2017 1:18 pm  #3

And yet, while most of civilisation is back to work, 640 continues with rerolls. REALLY?! Even if they had their usual Bored Bunnies, always dieing to interrupt, host a live show the rest of this week, they wouldn't have to pay time-and-a-half. I guess newly-branded Global News is closed when they have a good opportunity to let fresh ears sample their product. 💀⚰️

What's worse is they are trying to fool their virtual non-existant audience by not having liners indicating they are in repeats. 🙄

Last edited by cGrant (December 27, 2017 1:20 pm)

December 27, 2017 2:00 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Toronto is no longer what it once was. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people who don't celebrate Christmas. They were completely abandoned yesterday. Maybe one day, someone will try something different. 

This is more an argument for no longer closing stores on Christmas day, but maybe instead allowing people to take THEIR holiday off in exchange for working Christmas day in retail. (etc)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 28, 2017 8:19 am  #5

cGrant wrote:

while most of civilization is back to work, 640 continues with re-rolls.    What's worse is they are trying to fool their virtual non-existent audience

Memo to Peter Shurman:   recommend you hold your defamation, libel and slander lawsuits.    cGrant could be Global 640's most consistent listener, as not a day goes by that she doesn't contribute "in depth coverage" of 640 programming to SOWNY

Last edited by geo (December 28, 2017 9:01 am)

December 28, 2017 2:10 pm  #6

Agreed Geo. She must be on loop.

December 28, 2017 3:11 pm  #7

What? Like the endless fake fandom of that Frank D guy? Or the ridiculous comments about meeting at that fish place John Oakley shills for? Or the endless, repetitive vitriol against corporations and their profit lines? Or the entitlement and whining when stations don't show loyalty to their staff? Or, or, or.... Pot calling kettle. 🙄🤔

December 29, 2017 8:20 am  #8

cGrant wrote:

ridiculous comments about meeting at that fish place John Oakley shills for 

High Street is not just a "fish place".     One noon we dined there and Jody Thornton was at the next table with a couple of other broadcast celebrities.    Bite your tongue, cG.   

Jonny

December 29, 2017 8:01 pm  #9

Riveting and scintillating listening to Arlene Bynon shuck oysters this afternoon. Maybe a suggestion to the station: listening to people kill and then eat a live animal isn't really brilliant radio. 🤔🔪🙄

December 30, 2017 1:52 pm  #10

cGrant wrote:

listening to Arlene Bynon shuck oysters this afternoon. Maybe a suggestion to the station: listening to people kill and then eat a live animal isn't really brilliant radio   

PETA ("People Eating Tasty Animals") does not share your misinformed opinion

December 31, 2017 9:22 am  #11

oysters who gave their lives to support live radio could be recognized in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread if their names were known

December 31, 2017 1:47 pm  #12

geo wrote:

oysters who gave their lives to support live radio could be recognized in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread if their names were known

oy.

December 31, 2017 3:38 pm  #13

geo wrote:

Blue Oyster Cult ( how can one forget a band that had a track called She's as Beautiful as a Foot) and Prairie Oyster.

Last edited by Fitz (December 31, 2017 3:41 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/