sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2017 10:01 am  #1

Art Laboe to begin record-breaking 75th year on the radio

Art Laboe, who started his radio career in 1943, begins his 75th year as a radio DJ on Sunday at KSAN-FM. Laboe is 92, and still rocking.

I can only think of one other jock who was on the air for 70+ years, that was the late Hal Jackson who was on Washington and New York radio for 73 years (1939-2012). He was still on the air at age 96.

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34676

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 22, 2017 10:02 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 22, 2017 10:45 am  #2

Re: Art Laboe to begin record-breaking 75th year on the radio

Roger Ashby has some catchin' up to do

September 22, 2017 12:39 pm  #3

Forty-eight years and counting at CHUM. Look out, Wally Crouter!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 22, 2017 2:03 pm  #4

When I saw KSAN FM I did a bit of googling because that was one of the early classic free form stations. Looks like Art Laboe began on KSAN in 1943 but his current program is syndicated and available on on these stations:
Art Loboe Connection

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 27, 2017 11:40 am  #5

Art Laboe is amazing. The guy is 92 years old, still on the air, still plays rock and roll and is still popular. I didn't know this, but the linked article reveals that he's not only a pioneer - and more importantly, still relevant, rock jock - but he created and trademarked the phrase "oldies but goodies" and invented the compilation LP. 

Fascinating guy and he's a walking history of modern radio. The accompanying 15 min. audio piece is well worth a listen, too.

Got something 'really worth hearing'? Iconic DJ Art Laboe thinks you could make it on radio 

December 27, 2017 3:47 pm  #6

Ms. C. wrote:

Roger Ashby has some catchin' up to do

While Jay Michaels has been doing a great job filling in for the vacationing Roger Ashby lately, I sincerely hope that Mr. Ashby has no plans to retire from radio in the near future. I'm not keen on some of the music on CHUM these days, but I would miss listening to the banter etc from the morning show team of Roger Ashby and Marilyn Dennis.

December 28, 2017 9:22 pm  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

I can only think of one other jock who was on the air for 70+ years

CKUA's Old Disk Jockey is still on the air, despite starting his broadcast career as an announcer in 1946 at CFQC Saskatoon, before moving to CKUA in 1949.  His air name is John Worthington.
http://www.ckua.com/programs/old-disc-jockey-the/