sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2017 5:26 pm  #1

Buffalo News Legend Irv Weinstein Passes

It's been a brutal end to the year. The latest sad revelation is that legendary Buffalo news anchor Irv Weinstein has died. The Channel 7 Eyewitness News veteran had been suffering from ALS and he knew his time was limited. He remained a key fixture at WKBW for 34 years until he retired in 1998. He'd been living in California when he succumbed. 

Buffalo remains a divided news town, with Channel 7 now a dim last place in the ratings. But during his time at the anchor desk, no one could beat Weinstein. He had a pretty amazing run. And as the linked article points out, he had a pretty big following on this side of the border, including many soon-to-be-famous fans like Mike Myers.

He was 87. 

Buffalo News: Irv Weinstein, legendary Channel 7 anchor, has died 

December 26, 2017 5:55 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo News Legend Irv Weinstein Passes

As you might expect, for those reading this on Tuesday afternoon, WBEN-AM has been going non-stop with this story, bringing on a who's-who of Buffalo broadcasting, including Keith Radford and Kevin O'Connell, for their memories. Worth listening to if you're near a radio.

I would expect the 6 PM news on all the stations to be filled with a lot more vintage video.

December 26, 2017 6:59 pm  #3

R.I.P. Mr. Weinstein.  A Class act.

December 26, 2017 11:24 pm  #4

Topping Tonight's Eyewitness News, A Three-Alarm BarnBurner & Main & Minnesota on Buffalo's West Side (I think!!!)...RIP Irv Weinstein - You'll Be Greatly Missed!!!...lhpalter77

December 28, 2017 8:56 am  #5

I'll never forget Jesse & Gene's spoofing of Irv's newscast on 680 CFTR back in the late 80's.
"And remember...If you see news happening in YOUR neighborhood...RUUUUUUUUN!!!!"   

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.