sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2017 8:35 am  #1

Brian Fysher Retires at 680

His final roundup is filling in this morning for Paul Cook. Brian was my boss for 14 years at CHAM and we worked together for a few years at 680. A great mentor and friend and a consumate professional. I wish him well as he and Carol begin the next chapter! Here is a link to his sign-off this morning:

Brian Fysher Sign-Off

Last edited by Carl Patrick (December 22, 2017 4:37 pm)

December 22, 2017 9:17 am  #2

Re: Brian Fysher Retires at 680

I am sad to see him leave.  I remember meeting him briefly at CHAM in 1989 during a string of overnights I volunteered at before I started college. (I guess that would be like an internship now, eh?).  Very modest and professional.  And he sounds terrific.  Happy retirement.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 22, 2017 10:37 am  #3

I remember him from CHOO in Ajax way back in the 70s, when he was using the name "Brian Fish."

He's come a long way since then and I wish him a happy retirement. 

December 22, 2017 1:31 pm  #4

Had always been one of my favourites. Warm and friendly.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 25, 2017 11:43 am  #5

Wishing Brian a great retirement.  He's had a wonderful career.  Now under the heading "is it too soon yet."  I would really like to hear John Kares have a shot at daytime.  Wonderful voice.  Great delivery.  Deserves a "bump up"; from evenings.  Just my humble opinion Scott.  Again best to Brian Fysher and his family.

December 25, 2017 5:57 pm  #6

In no way do I want to distract from a terrific broadcaster's classy goodbye. But I have to say his farewell statement, as posted at the link above, is quite eye – and ear – opening. What does it say about a massive conglomerate like Rogers that an outgoing employee has to actually thank them on air for not firing him? Apparently, the company’s reputation for purges is well known to their workers.

Here’s part of what Fysher said on his last broadcast, which starts around the 1:32 mark:

“Thanks to Rogers Communications owner of this radio station, as we like to say, for letting me retire on my own terms. I’m going out the door because I want to, not because I’ve been asked to leave or pushed out the door. It’s my own decision. And I appreciate that opportunity.”  

In essence, “Thanks for not firing me.”

I think that tells you everything you need to know about this odiously bloated giant of a company. 

December 26, 2017 12:39 am  #7

Terrific guy to work with.  He'll be missed.

December 26, 2017 10:01 am  #8

Thanks to everyone posting here regarding my retirement. Your kind words are much appreciated.
In regards to thanking Rogers , it had nothing to do with " thanks for not firing me"! I have learned after so many years in the business that it is pointless   to worry about what management has in store for you. They will do what they will do. I have worked with some incredibly talented people at Rogers  who weren't allowed to leave on their own terms..same story with colleagues  at Bell. I appreciated that opportunity...nothing more, nothing less.

January 9, 2018 2:46 am  #9

Happy retirement, Brian. One of the best radio newscasters I've ever heard.