sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2017 6:58 pm  #1

Legendary AM Station Going Dark After Almost 100 Years

This isn't local, but I couldn't help feeling a tinge of sadness at the news that a once legendary Top 40 station is going off the air forever beginning January 1st. You may never have heard of KQV Pittsburgh, which signed on way back in 1919, is one of the oldest radio stations in North America and one of only three in the east that starts with the letter "K". (The rest all begin with a "W".)

I well remember passing through Pittsburgh on family trips when I was a kid and finding KQV on the radio, and being impressed with it even back then. A lot of famous people worked there, including Merv Griffin and Rod Roddy, but one stands out, and love him or hate him, you can't deny he went on to bigger and better things.

"Jeff Christie" abandoned jocking to become a talk show host. You know him better these days as Rush Limbaugh. 

RIP KQV. It will remain on air as an all news station until the stroke of midnight Jan. 1st, when the news wheel slows to a stop for good. 

KQV going off the air at end of the year

December 16, 2017 9:43 pm  #2

Re: Legendary AM Station Going Dark After Almost 100 Years

Wonder what Rush Limbaugh sounded like as a jock? Here's a brief sample:

December 16, 2017 10:11 pm  #3

I didn't realize 'til now that he is a freekin' soprano.  Never really thought about it before.  At any rate...with THAT 'voice'...I can imagine why he thought that just yackin' about 'stuff' would likely take him farther down the road.  Too bad he decided that pissing people off to the Nth degree was a route he could handle.

So when they bury KQV...here's hopin' that they bury Limbaugh with it.

December 18, 2017 12:53 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

This isn't local, but I couldn't help feeling a tinge of sadness at the news that a once legendary Top 40 station is going off the air forever beginning January 1st. You may never have heard of KQV Pittsburgh, which signed on way back in 1919, is one of the oldest radio stations in North America and one of only three in the east that starts with the letter "K". (The rest all begin with a "W".)

I well remember passing through Pittsburgh on family trips when I was a kid and finding KQV on the radio, and being impressed with it even back then. A lot of famous people worked there, including Merv Griffin and Rod Roddy, but one stands out, and love him or hate him, you can't deny he went on to bigger and better things.

"Jeff Christie" abandoned jocking to become a talk show host. You know him better these days as Rush Limbaugh. 

RIP KQV. It will remain on air as an all news station until the stroke of midnight Jan. 1st, when the news wheel slows to a stop for good. 

KQV going off the air at end of the year

Just for the record - and I see this mistake all the time - radio stations go silent, TV stations go dark.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 18, 2017 2:26 pm  #5

Ya Dale...'Rush' would never 'go' dark...he's way too right wing for that.  I do wish he'd go silent though...like...today... ... ...but January 1st will be a fine compromise.

Shaddap Rush.  You make us ALL look  bad.

December 18, 2017 2:59 pm  #6

The new normal: Disagree with someone, hope they disappear.  The old normal: Disagree with someone, change the damn station.

December 19, 2017 8:54 am  #7

Old Codger wrote:

Ya Dale...'Rush' would never 'go' dark...he's way too right wing for that.  I do wish he'd go silent though...like...today... ... ...but January 1st will be a fine compromise.

Shaddap Rush.  You make us ALL look  bad.

Everybody's entitled to their point of view. Would you rather be like Cuba or North Korea where only one point of view - the state's - is allowed? If you don't like what you hear, don't listen. But I believe the more points of view you hear - whether it comes from the left, the right or somewhere in between - the better. One should be open and open-minded to all points of view.

December 19, 2017 9:02 am  #8

Sorry.  Not big on the freedom to lie to people.

December 19, 2017 12:36 pm  #9

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire (attributed)

December 19, 2017 12:47 pm  #10

Gotta love people, with the freedom to express their opinions, demand to stifle the opinions of those they disagree with. 🤔

December 19, 2017 6:15 pm  #11

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

February 4, 2018 9:44 am  #12

Just to conclude this thread, there may be life left in the 99-year-old station yet. 

New station owner to bring KQV-AM radio back on air