sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2017 8:19 am  #1

It's "AM640" No More As Station Rebrands

Anyone notice the rebranding over what used to be known as AM640? Beginning Tuesday, the station has been taking every opportunity to stress its new moniker: "Global News Radio 640 Toronto."

For some time now, Shaw has been trying to leverage its ownership in the TV network into its radio properties and I guess by repeating this endlessly (I heard it no less than 7 times at the top of the hour at 7 AM) I presume it's supposed to drive this into our brains.

Of course unless they deliver a better product overall, a name isn't going to make much difference. But at least with the introduction of two new evening shows, it's a start. But if you tune in, be prepared to hear this phrase ad nauseam. Frankly, I'm sick of it already!

November 28, 2017 9:08 am  #2

Re: It's "AM640" No More As Station Rebrands

It doesn't appear this has been rolled out to any other Corus talk stations, at least locally. Hamilton is still "900 CHML" with nary a mention of Global. But it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen at other outlets with the same format around the country.

But while the change is understandable, "Global News Radio 640 Toronto" is certainly a mouthful compared to what was there before. 

November 28, 2017 9:42 am  #3

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 28, 2017 9:54 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's always appeared that way, unless you mean it's a new URL. 

A new URL, but also, https://web.archive.org shows how it was just AM 640 without showing global at the top.

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 28, 2017 9:56 am)

November 28, 2017 10:08 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Anyone notice the rebranding over what used to be known as AM640? Beginning Tuesday, the station has been taking every opportunity to stress its new moniker: "Global News Radio 640 Toronto."

Stafford noticed and laughed as he said "Global news" then dropped it immediately...at least for his show intro, anyway. 
("Oh by the way it's Global news radio Toronto", made clear at 9:10 AM)

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 28, 2017 10:10 am)

November 28, 2017 10:43 am  #6

I figured he'd have something snarky to say about the change and he didn't disappoint. After all, he's been through this kind of rebranding craziness a lot in his career.

It began right off the top of the show when he complained about not hearing his normal theme. (All the intros have been redone with the new ID.) "Where's my Jimmy Page?" he complained. "At least leave me my John Bonham!"

He then proceeded to explain that "Global" Purdon was taking the place of "Global" Patrick for the day. 

And finally, after trying to say the new phrase, he finally gave up and reverted back to "AM 640," before eventually getting with the program. 

Based on what I've seen in the past, when management decides to make this kind of change, they generally hammer it into the brains of all staff members to repeat the new slogan as often as possible. Unfortunately, as Stafford so subtly pointed out, it too often goes way overboard at the start, which is the mistake they all seem to make. 

I remember a number of years ago, just after CTV took over CP24, they called everyone into a big secret hush hush staff meeting. When they emerged, the station had been rebranded as "Toronto's Breaking News," an I.D. they still use to this day. But it quickly became obvious they'd told all the producers to be sure to use it every single damn time they could, as if to re-enforce the new direction. 

I well recall watching a producer sit down in the chair after that meeting, hearing about some minor accident somewhere and turning to his writing crew in an almost desperate plea, "Do we have Breaking News?" The look of disappointment on his face when they told him there was no way it could meet that criteria was palpable. 

I don't understand why they don't just let it happen organically. By the end of the first month, it becomes acceptable and everyone forgets about the old I.D. But they always have to overdo it at the start and it almost becomes an SCTV parody of itself as they try to force it on the listener.  

November 28, 2017 11:14 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I figured he'd have something snarky to say about the change and he didn't disappoint. After all, he's been through this kind of rebranding craziness a lot in his career.  It began right off the top of the show when he complained about not hearing his normal theme. (All the intros have been redone with the new ID.) "Where's my Jimmy Page?" he complained. "At least leave me my John Bonham!".  He then proceeded to explain that "Global" Purdon was taking the place of "Global" Patrick for the day. 

Ya but think about it - this mouth-full-of-marbles re-branding is silly!  I would submit the intro and outro bumper music Staffy uses is part of his "show" and part of Oakley's "show" - though I wish Patrick would vary it up way more often than once every couple of years. The sound of the show now seems a bit 'sterile' with Mr. Announcer and no bumper tunes.

Question: How does this rebranding help over and above the business as usual like last week?

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

November 28, 2017 12:04 pm  #8

As critical of that station as I am, I wish them sincere luck. It would be absurd to complain about them and then gripe about it when they actually do attempt change.

What they did seem to retain is the curiosity of why Stafford reads the weather IMMEDIATELY after each newscast that just did the weather?!

November 28, 2017 12:12 pm  #9

What is pissing me off is the bumper news-tune-thingy they use as part of the "Here's the news..." (on the hour).
Now they seem to be using it at 22 minutes after, 29 minutes after, 44 minutes after - instead of having it relegated for the top of the hour news.

~ John McClane

November 28, 2017 1:09 pm  #10

Rebranding by a numb-skull - Carson, Fallon, Kimmel, and even the esteemed D'Angelo have music bumpers starting and ending their shows in addition to in and out of commercials - and now bubkas.  

What doofus thinks this is entertaining production?

(rant finished)

~ John McClane

November 28, 2017 1:24 pm  #11

So just because "it was always done that way", it should continue that way? I find it absolutely hilarious that people on here wanted AM640 to change, and hours after they do, they complain of the damn change. 🤔

November 28, 2017 3:13 pm  #12

Corus is now using "Global News Radio" on CHML 900 in Hamilton and CFPL 980 in London...I was at 640 when they went from Talk640 to MOJO to AM640...I made fun of the new AM640 handle on the air....probably helped to get me canned.

November 28, 2017 3:24 pm  #13

I didn't hear it on CHML in the morning. Must have come on stream after the AM run. I would imagine this is also the new mantra at Corus talkers in Edmonton, Calgary and anywhere else they have a yakkety presence.

I'm not against the rebranding. But couldn't they have come up with something that's not quite a mouthful? I've already heard a few on air types mess it up or forget it. (Tasha Kheiriddin welcomed a guest to "AM 640" on her show, only to have to correct herself moments later.) It will definitely take some getting used to for those who had been accustomed to the shorter ID all those years.

November 28, 2017 3:41 pm  #14

Interesting that GNR640 didn't go the whole hog and adopt the "non-stop news" wheel format during their drives. Both Hamilton and London have gone that route.

November 28, 2017 5:07 pm  #15

Rebrand?    Does any consumer give a shyt about rebranding?    It's a great day for talk radio when the content is interesting & compelling.    The end.

November 28, 2017 5:31 pm  #16

geo wrote:

Rebrand?    Does any consumer give a shyt about rebranding?

No, they don't. 

This is just to make shows that air on more than one station sound more coherent and not just parachuted in from somewhere else - along with cross promoting on TV. 

November 28, 2017 5:39 pm  #17

Lou Schizas for federal finance minister

November 28, 2017 5:39 pm  #18

There's only one thing worse than being snarked about, and that is not being snarked about.

November 28, 2017 6:06 pm  #19

Don wrote:

geo wrote:

Rebrand?    Does any consumer give a shyt about rebranding?

No, they don't. 

This is just to make shows that air on more than one station sound more coherent and not just parachuted in from somewhere else - along with cross promoting on TV. 

Agreed. It's all about corporate interests and promotion. The listeners couldn't care less.  

November 28, 2017 6:24 pm  #20

So if their numbers go up (miracles can happen), who/what would we credit?

November 28, 2017 6:32 pm  #21

If their numbers go up - and they've never finished above a 2.3 if memory serves, even when they had the Leafs - it certainly won't be because of being known as "Global News Radio." 

I once had a graphics person at the TV newsroom where I worked come to me just after the station had changed the look of its supers in a major overhaul. She actually said to me, "the ratings go up when we do this. Really, they do!"

Actually when the book came out, they didn't.

November 29, 2017 1:44 am  #22

Opportunity is knocking on Global News Radio Toronto 640's door in the form of developer Brad Lamb who is naming condo suites after media personalities.   Who wouldn't rush to tie up a condo named the "Raging Redhead" or the "Lou Schizas"?      Admittedly, one marketed as the "Willie Shatner" is not as appealing

November 29, 2017 2:30 am  #23

I bet if Bill Carroll were to post something in this thread he'd say "At least it's not Toxic 40" 

November 29, 2017 11:47 am  #24

tc143 wrote:

I bought the "Fun & Tonic" model, I hear Lou Schizas' laugh when you push the doorbell.  ;-).

The Grilled.Cheese model has reportedly being pulled due to the building inspector having difficulty determining if it is cheddar or processed

November 29, 2017 11:16 pm  #25

I tuned in earlier tonight at around 7:30 and the employment show was on ??

November 30, 2017 12:43 pm  #26

cash wrote:

I tuned in earlier tonight at around 7:30 and the employment show was on ??

An important part of the re-branding strategy

November 30, 2017 2:02 pm  #27

And did the host immediately do the weather and complain they had no bumper music and the branding was a mouthful? 🤔😉

November 30, 2017 3:11 pm  #28

Stafford's gone global. His take this morning on the difficulties of remembering the new "Global 640 TO was priceless"

November 30, 2017 3:17 pm  #29

Adler is much better than hearing about Bigfoot

November 30, 2017 10:16 pm  #30

'I'm just looking to start over' said the emaciated drummer when asked why he was selling his drum kit.