sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2017 11:54 pm  #1

AM640 Pulls “View From Space” For Host’s Anti-Semitic Comments

What the hell did Gary Bell say last week on “A View From Space” on AM 640? Whatever it was, the station pulled his show on Saturday night, airing “best of” programming instead.

A grim announcement at the top of the hour explained that Bell had said something that had been deemed “anti-Semitic,” was clearly unacceptable and that Corus ‘takes the privilege of its licence seriously,’ was addressing the situation and thus would not be airing the show this Saturday.

It was not immediately made clear if it’s been officially cancelled altogether, if Bell has been suspended or fired or if both he and the show would be back in the coming weeks.

I have to say that while Bell has the ability to fill three hours without taking a single call, which I know Mike Stafford frequently alludes to, I’ve always found his show incredibly irresponsible and it’s amazing to me this hasn’t happened before now.

My issue with his ‘views’ is that he presents wildly crazy theories as absolute fact, though most people would certainly feel they fall into the crackpot range. As an example, I once heard him say several years ago that The Beatles were a plot to control the youth of the 60s, and that they were made up of people who were in on the conspiracy. Not that it was his opinion or that it was his speculation. He stated it as an absolute fact, beyond dispute, even though it was patently ridiculous and without even a shred of any evidence whatsoever.

I know some here like Mr. Bell and listen to his show every week. I don’t happen to be one of them, and sadly this is the kind of thing that can happen all too easily with a show based on made-up theories - and not facts. And no, I'm definitely not part of the illuminati. 

November 19, 2017 12:14 am  #2

Re: AM640 Pulls “View From Space” For Host’s Anti-Semitic Comments

Here's the full text of the AM 640 on-air announcement, which aired at the top of all three hours of what would have been Bell's show:

=====

Last week’s AM640 broadcast of “A View From Space” hosted by Gary Bell, included remarks and viewpoints that ran counter to Corus Entertainment’s policies about discrimination on matters of race, religion, national origin and ethnicity.

Mr. Bell’s comments were unacceptable and problematic, in that they included references and material that could only be viewed as anti-Semitic. We sincerely apologize to our listeners and anyone else who was offended by Mr. Bell’s comments.

Corus Radio recognizes that our broadcast licences are a privilege. Therefore we are taking strong and immediate steps to ensure such an episode is never repeated.

“A View From Space” will not be aired tonight. In its place, we present alternate programming."

=====

Wow. That's pretty strong language. Now I really want to know what he said. 

November 19, 2017 12:30 am  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Bell.  He believes in what he says on air. 

If that's true, then whatever he said is even more disturbing. 

November 19, 2017 1:14 am  #4

So what did he say?

November 19, 2017 8:19 am  #5

Peter the K wrote:

So what did he say?

Are you trying to get the co-moderators in trouble?

November 19, 2017 9:16 am  #6

Peter the K wrote:

So what did he say?

Have not been able to find what it was online but if you care to listen last wk's show is here:

A View from Space

Saturday November 11th 2017 - The Spaceman discussed: Donald Trump and his most recent Asian trip, the Antichrist, Al-Masih ad-Dajjal, the Anakim, manufactured chaos, Cain, polygamy, mythical beings, Leonardo da Vinci, bloodlines, the Rothchilds, etc.A View From Space is a weekly terrestrial radio program based out of Toronto, Canada that airs live every Saturday night on Talk Radio AM640. Start times do vary. If the Toronto Maple Leafs are done for the season, the show airs live from 8pm - 12am ET. If the Toronto Maple Leafs are still playing, the show airs later at night from 11pm - 2am ET.You can view the Talk Radio AM640 program schedule HEREIf you would like to contact Gary Bell, his emails are:
space@640toronto.com
spaceman@640toronto.comConspiracy Culture has been a paid advertiser on AVFS since 2006.An archive of old programs dating back as far as 2004 can be found [url=https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=0d0ed2388fba48fa&id=D0ED2388FBA48FA!490]HERE[/url]

Last edited by Fitz (November 19, 2017 9:17 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 19, 2017 9:41 am  #7

There's apparently a Facebook page filled with predictably outraged comments from fans, who, of course, see this as a gigantic conspiracy to silence their leader. Some of the reactions - including a few anti-Semitic outbursts - are pretty disturbing. 

A View From Space Facebook page

November 19, 2017 11:39 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

There's apparently a Facebook page filled with predictably outraged comments from fans, who, of course, see this as a gigantic conspiracy to silence their leader. Some of the reactions - including a few anti-Semitic outbursts - are pretty disturbing. 

A View From Space Facebook page

You may wish to add the AM640 Facebook site as the Bell supporters have begun to post on every thread -- none of them of course in any way related to the Gary Bell fiasco in the slightest.

Whoever is in charge of the AM640 Facebook page this morning can't be having a good shift...

The invasion from space has begun!!!

Gary Bell supporters -- they're everywhere!!! they're everywhere!!!!

Last edited by unclefester (November 19, 2017 11:46 am)

November 19, 2017 12:39 pm  #9

I never understood the aim of the show. Was it to throw light on the Deep State and the sinister Illuminati? There was no clear objective. Other than to alert you to how bad things are in the Gary Bell universe...

I would feel if I listened, that I lost hope in life and in keeping on, because the show left you with not too much hope.

I find that the "truthers" that listen are extremely, under-educated and a lot of comments are anti-Israel, anti-Zionist and they tend to paint all Jews with the same brush, without truly getting all sides of the picture.

I never got what Gary was for? I know he wasn't for a One World Government or the Monarchy or Illuminati...but what was his vision for the world we live in? It never got addressed...only discussing conspiracy after conspiracy, some with merit and some without.

So the show became a breeding ground for those that were negative on society, the government and how things go here on the planet...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 19, 2017 12:45 pm  #10

640 will never be considered a real, professional talk outlet with sewage programming like this. Between that show, the 18 hours a day of C2C, endless infomercials, paid programming, best ofs, community-cable-type morning show, wannabes interrupting, burnt-out show hosts...

Yes, I realise NT1010 has a fruitcake show, but it's limited to 2 hours a day, period.

November 19, 2017 12:54 pm  #11

I've never told anyone this before, but I knew Gary Bell when he was the overnight rock jock on CFTR in the early 80s. I found him an odd duck even then.

As an example, he was apparently very religious at the time - I'm not sure about now. But he would occasionally tell co-workers that it was all he could do not to go on air - on a rock station no less - and preach about Jesus after every song. 

He admitted he didn't do it because he knew it would cost him the gig. But he always said the temptation (would you call it the Temptation of Christ?) was always present and he had to work hard to resist it.  

November 19, 2017 5:24 pm  #12

Fitz wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

So what did he say?

Have not been able to find what it was online but if you care to listen last wk's show is here:

A View from Space

Thanks for the link, Fitz.  I can't sit through 3 hours of this.  It's just not my thing.  Maybe when I've got absolutely nothing better to do, I'll listen to the whole thing.

But, when will those who are up in arms over this just realize that maybe, just maybe, if they ignored it, nobody would have noticed anyway.  If you don't like it, just tune out.

I'm often reminded of the example of Ernst Zundel.  Andy Barrie engaged him on several occasions.  He was wise enough to just get him started and then stand back and let him speak his mind and dig himself into his own hole.  Zundel would invariably get into a ridiculous rant and basically burn himself out.

Not suggesting Bell is at that level, (I honestly don't know) but it's not like he has millions of listeners hanging onto his every word, so why bother attracting attention to him?

Last edited by Peter the K (November 19, 2017 5:25 pm)

November 19, 2017 10:55 pm  #13

am640 has an opportunity now that the Saturday night "View From Space' is history. An entire evening of Stafford Show re-rolls would be great but I can't see that happening.

I know I'm not the only one who misses hearing Andy Frost on am640, and his Saturday night 'Leafs Talk' hockey show. With the Leafs playing so well, the 'tragic' Habs situation, and Andy having a built-in fan base, I would think some kind of hockey/sports show would be a winner, and not cost a fortune.

Question is, does the Tweedledum and Tweedledummer custody sharing of the team preclude a Saturday night am640 hockey show. And would Andy Frost want to sign up now that the city has a genuinely good team that's worth watching and talking about.

Last edited by betaylored (November 20, 2017 4:48 am)

November 25, 2017 9:13 pm  #14

Just checked AM 640 and there's no "View From Space." The website has been changed to indicate "640@Night" airs there now. That's a fancy name for three hours of rerolls. 

Well, they said in their announcement last week that they were "taking strong and immediate steps to ensure such an episode is never repeated."

It looks like they're keeping that vow and I suspect Mr. Bell is now looking for a new view from space - at some other station. 

(Ironically, one of the first commericals I heard in the opening break was for employment lawyer Lior Samfiru, which begins with the question, "Lost your job? Make sure you get what you're owed." I wonder if Mr. Bell will take advantage of his services.)

November 25, 2017 10:53 pm  #15

Is Gary still employed as a Producer with 640? If so, I doubt he's shopping around.

November 25, 2017 11:23 pm  #16

I don't know if he's still there but I haven't heard his name mentioned on air in the past week in the "thank you's" when a host signs off. I agree there's no reason he had to be fired. Taking his show away from him and a suspension would likely have been punishment enough, especially for someone who's been there as long as he has. 

So I decided to try a little experiment. Last week, I called CFMJ's switchboard and asked to be connected to Gary Bell's extension. The receptionist who answered the phone at Corus Inc. told me she couldn't find his name in the company directory. 

Make of that whatever you will. 

November 27, 2017 12:38 pm  #17

Charlie wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Bell is gone
RIP

Now, if only Rogers would disappear.

touche

November 29, 2017 3:19 pm  #18

This story has finally made the "mainstream media." I wonder what Gary Bell would say about this article?

Still no explanation of exactly what it was he said. 

Corus fires AM640 late-night host, citing complaints of anti-Semitic content

Someone should tell The Star it's not AM 640 anymore.

November 29, 2017 3:35 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Someone should tell The Star it's not AM 640 anymore.

Why? Corus, themselves, still call it by that name. "I can confirm that Mr. Bell has been terminated from his employment with AM640 and Corus Entertainment,” said company spokesperson Rishma Govani."

November 29, 2017 7:08 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

sadly this is the kind of thing that can happen all too easily with a show based on made-up theories - and not facts.

This kind of thing...getting rid of a show and especially its host...should happen to the 'View From The White House'.  Now there's a crack-pot who wouldn't know a fact...or his own voice...if his life depended on it.  [of course in his case it's dementia. ]

November 30, 2017 1:16 am  #21

Peter the K wrote:

So what did he say?

The last 90 minutes or so of the show is a long tedious Jewiah conspiracy theory rant covering the past two thousand years.At one point he claims Hitler's father was the biological son of Baron Rothschild. The guy is a fruitcake and it's amazing 640 ever let him near a mic.

Last edited by Hansa (November 30, 2017 1:58 am)

December 5, 2017 9:15 am  #22

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Canadian Jewish News has an article on this story that lists in more detail exactly what Gary Bell said that got him fired. I wasn't completely on board with his being let go at first but judging by the sheer idiocy he was spewing, he deserves what he got. 

Toronto Conspiracy Radio Show Cancelled After Anti-Semitic Rant 

December 5, 2017 12:08 pm  #23

grilled.cheese wrote:

Gary has been saying that stuff for a decade.  It's nothing new.

That makes it even worse.

December 7, 2017 9:39 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Gary has been saying that stuff for a decade.  It's nothing new.

That makes it even worse.

Amen to that. I dipped my toe into "space" a few times, returning to learn if what I heard the week before was a joke, a host delirious-with-the-flu, or just plain crazy talk.

It may have been a Saturday evening wasteland, but crazy talk is crazy talk.

Bye-bye. Watch out for the door knob.

December 7, 2017 10:11 pm  #25

I used to consider "Conspiracy" shows a simple guilty pleasure.  Not my cup of tea but harmless entertainment for those who enjoy.

However, witnessing the debacle unfolding down south .. the gullibility of so many .. the sheer blinders of tribalism .. the attention deficit of the average voter to no more than 10 seconds .. the "success" of gaslighting .. the greed & shortsightedness of so many .. etc, etc, etc.  I now feel that "Conspiracy" shows are now a danger; just another vehicle that moves more of the populace to distrust fact & real news.