sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2017 4:32 pm  #1

Viewer Gripe To CBSC Proves Nothing Is Too Stupid To Complain About

Pity the people at the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council. It only takes one “genius” to issue a silly gripe that takes up their time and an entire network’s resources. Consider this beef against The Weather Network over something they showed on April 13th.

The Pelmorex-owned station, which has recently asked viewers to help keep it on basic must carry, was the central player in a dispute over a graphic. Yes, a single graphic. It seems the network aired a summary of the month’s weather, under the title “Vancouver 30 Day” [forecast.]

Unfortunately, there wasn’t quite enough room on the screen for everything and the graphic wound up showing only 28 days on their HD channel and just 27 on their SD screen. Needless to say, one lone viewer complained to the CBSC, accusing the Weather wizards of airing false information.

That led to a series of letters and hearings, with the judges finally issuing a hilarious ruling that should have been obvious in the first place.

“…the Panel considers that this complaint is … hair-splitting, and even verging on the frivolous.  The purpose of the segments was to provide a long-term look at the weather.  This was equally accomplished by providing 27, 28 or 30 days.  Despite the errors raised by the complainant, the dates covered were clearly shown across the bottom of the screen.  It is highly unlikely that a viewer would somehow be misled.”

Perhaps wanting to avoid any more of this nitpicking, the Weather Network has since changed the title of this thing to “Next 4 Weeks.” But how much time and money did this waste?

Which is why I could never be a judge on one of their panels. This kind of idiocy would drive me insane. And as you all know already, that’s not a very long drive.

CBSC Weather Network Ruling

October 31, 2017 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Viewer Gripe To CBSC Proves Nothing Is Too Stupid To Complain About

RadioActive wrote:

“…the Panel considers that this complaint is … hair-splitting, and even verging on the frivolous. ” 

Clap.. clap..  clap.. 

that is all. 

Oh,

no.. hang on...

Clap.. clap..  clap.. clap..  clap..  clap..  clap..  clap..  clap..  clap..  clap..  etc.

Not before time. 

Not "verging on the frivolous", but "a complete waste of our fucking time you clown, here's the invoice for our time." would have been my choice of words.  Which is one of the many (many many) reasons I don't sit on the CBSC.  But it's a start for them.  Fingers crossed they'll just plain call out the next idiot.

That made my day!!

ig.

Last edited by ig (October 31, 2017 4:51 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 5, 2017 6:40 am  #3

The CBSC is pretty useless. Might as well waste their time.

January 31, 2018 12:11 pm  #4

It's hard to believe but this story isn't dead yet. At least not until now. Turns out the lunatic viewer behind this insane complaint wasn't happy with the CBSC's decision, as related at the top of this thread. So he took it to the CRTC!

On Wednesday, the Commission issued its breathless decision. And surprise! They essentially said, in bureaucratic language, the CBSC dealt with this nonsense and get the "f" out of our face.

But here's how they put it: 

"...the Television Broadcasting Regulations, 1987 prohibits licensees from broadcasting false or misleading news... the breach of these provisions must be flagrant for the Commission to take action on a complaint. The Commission does not consider it to be the case in this instance, particularly since the inclusion of specific dates suggests that Pelmorex was not trying to mislead viewers or broadcast false news...

"In light of the above, the Commission finds that there is no evidence of harm requiring regulatory intervention with respect to The Weather Network/MétéoMédia. Further, the Commission is satisfied with the broadcaster’s actions to remedy the situation."

It never ceases to amaze me how crazy some listeners/viewers can be when they get their teeth into something.  So I can only wonder what's next - can an appeal to the Supreme Court be far behind? Maybe we'll find out in 30 days. But just to bug him, we'll only show the guy 28.

CRTC "30 Days" Ruling  

January 31, 2018 2:35 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how crazy some listeners/viewers can be when they get their teeth into something.

Kind of like those who dead set against simsub. 

January 31, 2018 2:48 pm  #6

I deal with CBSC complaints ...a lot.  It never ceases to surprise me that many of the complainants never "heard" or "saw" the broadcast that they complain of.   Many complainants "heard" about a broadcast from a friend, or a co-worker, family member...particularly those where they believe they were libelled.  CBSC of course does not adjudicate libel, but often opens files...when it gets these complaints.   One of my favourite complaints was to the CBSC and the CRTC about a broadcast that probably never took place.  The complainant's address (tracked via GPS) was in the middle of a parking lot of a SuperStore along an "industrial" strip.   There were many other "fishy" aspects to the complaint particularly the complainant's address..  When the broadcaster responded that the complaint was invalid and likely the complainant wasn't who he said he/she was...the complaint wrote to the CBSC and CRTC that the broadcaster was now "stalking" him or her....I guess we were stalking a ghost in the middle of the SuperStore parking lot.

The truth is....the CBSC does a pretty good job...given the stuff that is thrown at it from crazy people.

January 31, 2018 4:38 pm  #7

Sunny today, with a 50% chance of morons.

January 31, 2018 5:51 pm  #8

Obligatory comment about the CSBC being an obsolete dinosaur and a useless waste of money.