sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 5:55 pm  #1

What Will Marijuana Ads Sound Like On The Radio Once Pot Is Legal?

Every time I turn on the radio, I’m bombarded with commercials for the LCBO. (I’ve never understood why a government agency that has an outright monopoly has to waste hundreds of thousands, if not millions of taxpayer dollars advertising something you can’t get anywhere else.)

That said, July 1, 2018 will mark the day that cannabis will be legal in Canada. Which got me thinking (something most here know I rarely do) about what the ads for this product might sound like on the radio.

And then I remembered having a small segment of a classic commercial radio parody in my collection, called “C-HIT 109.” (The branding was “C-HIT 109 – On The High End Of Your Dial!”)

This actually ran on CFTR in 1981, as part of a show imagining what the world would be like if pot were made legal. Nearly 40 years later, here we are.

I don’t have the entire thing, but did save two of the imagined commercials from that segment. It’s voiced by then-CFTR newsman John Wilson, a terrific talent who, as you'll hear, can make just about anything great.

As for what the real thing will be like – if they advertise it at all – it’s the government, so you can be sure they’ll take all the fun out of it.

C-HIT 109 

November 1, 2017 6:31 pm  #2

Re: What Will Marijuana Ads Sound Like On The Radio Once Pot Is Legal?

November 1, 2017 6:41 pm  #3

Imagine the possible ad copy.

"Hey buds, we've got the dope on where to get the dope."

"Never buy a baggie of oregano again, we're the real deal-er."

It'll be entertaining to watch the 'roll' out.

Think they make a 'hash' of it?

November 1, 2017 7:30 pm  #4

If you sell things like potato chips and other junk food, you might consider an increase in your ad budget, just to keep your product(s) and brand name(s) front and center...

November 1, 2017 7:48 pm  #5

This has nothing to do with radio, but it just occurred to me.

The day that pot is supposed to become legal in this country is July 1, 2018, Canada Day. (Or as some activists are already calling it, Cannabis Day) If that holds up, I would imagine thousands of potheads would take the occasion to light up anywhere they’re legally allowed.

But guess what? That’s a stat holiday. Which means the day marijuana becomes legal in Canada, the only stores or government outlets where you can legitimately buy it will all be closed. So those celebrating the change (with the exception of medical users) will all be forced to smoke illegal weed!

Only the federal government could mess things up this badly. Although Ontario isn’t exactly shining through all this, either.

Call it a joint effort.

November 1, 2017 7:52 pm  #6

I think the ads might sound like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACfNSqsi_mE

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...