sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 1:55 pm  #1

CFRB Invites Strike-Idled Broadcasting Students To Their Studios

First it was socks.

Then they announced they were launching their own brand of beer.

And now NT1010 is allowing displaced broadcasting students to sign up for an Open House next Monday.

“We’ll take you on a tour of our studios, introduce you to some of the biggest names in the business and answer any questions you might have about the broadcasting industry. It’s basically Broadcasting 101(0) for all you out there that are studying and trying to get into the business.”

CHUM-FM and Virgin are also taking part.

If I were still in college and not a grizzled old veteran, I’d definitely take advantage of this. I love touring radio studios. But I can’t help but wonder if they’ll be as honest as 640's Mike Stafford is whenever a group of neophytes pass his glass window while he’s on the air at Corus Quay.

“There are no jobs!” he shouts at them on air, regardless of what the topic is. “There – Are – No- Jobs!” he repeats, before getting back to his show.

Funny stuff.

And sadly true.

CFRB Open House Application

November 1, 2017 2:15 pm  #2

Re: CFRB Invites Strike-Idled Broadcasting Students To Their Studios

I'd be curious how many kids will jump at the offer?  I'd put my money on relatively few.

These days, I think back to having two years of weekly access to the likes of Phil Stone and never really taking advantage to brain pick or paying close attention when he regaled us with his stories about his pioneering work at CHUM.  Such a pity that higher education is often wasted on youth.

November 1, 2017 3:52 pm  #3

Peter the K wrote:

I'd be curious how many kids will jump at the offer?  I'd put my money on relatively few.

And I'd guess you'll be proven right...

Heard a couple of hosts explain the offer this morning and it sounded somewhat complicated to me...

Maybe it's just me...

November 1, 2017 4:45 pm  #4

Why does NT1010 always beat 640 to the punch??
Doesn't anyone over at Corus care about the return on their investment??
They should have been the first to round up students.
The students could most likely put together better programming than what 640 has now!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 1, 2017 5:08 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

Why does NT1010 always beat 640 to the punch??
Doesn't anyone over at Corus care about the return on their investment??
They should have been the first to round up students.
The students could most likely put together better programming than what 640 has now!

Well, for one thing, Stafford routinely, unapologetically bad-mouths RTA-type programs and yells that there are no jobs in the industry.

And, it's doubtful any of 640's staff actually went thru a college program.  After all, they tend to pull in everyone to blab on-air from their Bored Bunnies to janitors to the special-needs receptionist that answers the Fisher-Price phone.