sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2017 10:06 am  #1

Hey all you Booroadcasters-What is your fave Halloween/scary songs?

There are a ton of Halloween songs, hits like Monster Mash, or a Dr. Dimento classic, "They're coming to take me away"...If you want to stretch it there is that old hit, "Me and you and a dog named 'Boo' as well...

There are so many eerie songs...some that come to mind is the War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne, that album was creepy, but there is also, Don't fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, or Love lies Bleeding by Elton John, Bela Lagosi's Dead was another great scary song...in the Progressive rock genre...so many other kind if scary songs one album that was amazing, but scary...was by The Alan Parsons Project...about the life and work of Edgar Allen Poe, here is the Raven for your Halloween dining and dancing pleasure...

But what are some of your Halloween or scary songs?

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (October 29, 2017 10:07 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 29, 2017 12:44 pm  #2

Re: Hey all you Booroadcasters-What is your fave Halloween/scary songs?

Never thought of that as a Hallowe'en song, but a great turntable song.  The CD reissues all have the guitar track on the end though.  Great song!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 29, 2017 1:00 pm  #3

Nothing will ever beat the "Monster Mash" as the gold standard for Halloween, although it's certainly arguable whether Michael Jackson's "Thriller" may have replaced it. But my vote goes to an odd tune that probably wouldn't be considered Boo-worthy at all. It's "Timothy" by the Buoys, an upbeat and very catchy tune that you can't help singing along with. 

The fact that it's about three guys trapped in a mine and the surviving two are forced to eat Timothy is almost incidental. Written by Rupert Holmes, later of "The Piña Colada Song" fame, many stations played it in 1971 without realizing what it was really about. But the kids always knew and when the adults finally caught on, Holmes tried to claim Timothy was actually a mule. That didn't wash and despite being a hit, it was ultimately banned on some stations.

It remains the only true Top 40 hit about cannibalism that ever made it to the upper levels of the chart. The fact it's such a bouncy upbeat tune only adds to the irony and its greatness. 

Still one of my favourites, anytime of the year but especially at the end of October.

October 29, 2017 2:01 pm  #4

I'll second Monster Mash for the top of the list.

A close second goes to John Zacherle's Dinner with Drac:

That was part 1.  Dick Clark, who was a friend, didn't like the rather "grotesque" lyrics and thought the record would never sell so he convinced John to re-record the tune and put it on the flip-side.  I suspect some radio stations would prefer to air the "clean" version.

The original version, the one with the "grotesque" lyrics, is the one everyone remembers.

Last edited by Peter the K (October 29, 2017 2:03 pm)

October 29, 2017 10:17 pm  #5

Then there's a 1965 classic called "I Want My Baby Back" by Jimmy Cross, an American radio producer. It wasn't a huge hit and no wonder. It was a parody of all those "my-girl-was-killed-in-a-car-crash" songs that were all over Top 40 radio, like "Leader of the Pack" and "Last Kiss." 

In the song, the guy loses his girlfriend in a tragedy, wailing throughout that he "wants his baby back." And in the end, he gets her, digging at her grave and crawling into the coffin, presumably spending eternity with the corpse. As the song fades out, a muffled singer exclaims triumphantly, "I got my baby back!"

One of the weirdest records ever and a song that used to get played on Dr. Demento.

October 29, 2017 10:44 pm  #6

The 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' album from the Alan Parsons Project is eery all the way through, whether or not you've read Poe, but on side two, 'The Fall of the House of Usher' can spook me. It's the story of... well, someone gets buried a little early shall we say.

And the movie 'The Hunger' with David Bowie is a tad of its time, but always worth a watch every Halloween. Fav songs, a segue to a scary movie..hey, it's Bowie. ;)

October 29, 2017 10:48 pm  #7

Here's one off the beaten path:

Last edited by Fitz (October 29, 2017 10:49 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 30, 2017 1:02 am  #8

The Jimmy Cross song, I Want My Baby Back, peaked at #92 in Feb 65. He died of a heart attack in Oct 78 at the age of 39. Timothy, by The Buoys reached #17 in early 1971. In the pre Hot 100 days, Dinner with Drac peaked at #6 on the Top 100 and #8 on Best Sellers in Stores.  I would agree that Monster Mash is probably the best Halloween song. However, one of my personal favourites is Season Of The Witch by Donovan.

October 31, 2017 5:33 pm  #9

How about some Can-Con?  

Last edited by barilko05 (October 31, 2017 5:33 pm)

October 31, 2017 11:19 pm  #10

I like Somebody's Watching Me by Rockwell with Michael Jackson

November 1, 2017 6:40 am  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

The ladies know all about a night on bald mountain

This  was also covered by American prog group Fireballet who I am pretty sure were featured on David Marsden's show at some point.

Last edited by Fitz (November 1, 2017 6:42 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/