sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2017 10:51 pm  #1

What Are The Rules On "Local" For Broadcasters In Canada?

In a major move that may well change the broadcasting landscape in the U.S., the FCC ruled on Tuesday that companies no longer have to have a local studio in the area where they broadcast. Instead, they can program their outlets from any main hub. So a station that targets, say, Fargo, North Dakota could be entirely located in New York City or Los Angeles. 

I find this incredible and dangerous. Yes, it's a money saver, which is all most owners care about these days. But how would they cover the recent hurricanes in Houston if no one was actually there? Or the fires in California if everyone's actually in The Big Apple? And what about things like city council decisions or traffic accidents? How do you get those to air if you're hundreds if not thousands of miles away? Do they not have a responsibility to keep the community informed?

Which brings me to my original question. What are the rules here in Canada? I know there are a few newscasts that are seen nationally and that Global, as an example, has been doing some of its weather forecasts at its stations across the country with Anthony Farnell out of Toronto. Do we have any rules here that say you have to have more than just a transmitter sending out some faraway signal to the locals?

The FCC just ended a decades-old rule designed to keep TV and radio under local control

October 25, 2017 9:39 pm  #2

Re: What Are The Rules On "Local" For Broadcasters In Canada?

Agree that a station should have a presence in its town of license, but what's a studio anymore?

Some stations are so automated there is no live content. CKWW 580 Windsor for example. Its in a building with other radio stations so I guess it must have a studio. I recall the last owner of CHSC 1220 St. Catharines got into trouble for programming the station from a studio in the GTA.

I can receive three 'My FM' stations. These stations originate from Exeter, Strathroy, and St. Thomas. Every time I have tuned to them they are all playing the same song. This suggests they are networked / linked with slots for local commercials. I have never heard a live time / temperature check. I know the Exeter station has a sign and a 'store front' in a small strip mall in Exeter but can't comment on the other two. Does this count as a studio?

I am thinking we are a lot closer to this than most people realize.

October 30, 2017 11:13 am  #3

FYImusicnews's David Farrell must have seen this story as well. He provided an answer to my question in his tri-weekly Media Beat column on Monday:

======

"Last week, the FCC voted to eliminate the “main studio rule” first adopted almost 80 years ago, requiring broadcasters to have a physical studio in or near the areas where they have a license to transmit TV or radio signals. According to an informed source we checked in with, the CRTC eliminated this condition years ago.

The general eligibility to hold a licence here is that the CEO has to be Canadian, 80% of the board has to be Canadian, and 80% of the outstanding voting shares have to be held by Canadians. There's a lesser threshold for holding companies. That's the only requirement to hold a broadcast licence. You don't have to have a studio/office in the community which you serve, although, practically speaking, almost all stations do, certainly the ones in the larger markets.

These are the rules for general eligibility to hold a licence; individual licences may have their own requirements as well."

=====

I must say some of that surprises me. I thought the CRTC would have forced owners to have an actual physical presence in the area they're licenced to serve, Most do, of course, but the fact they technically don't have to is something I wasn't expecting. 

October 30, 2017 12:47 pm  #4

darcyh wrote:

I recall the last owner of CHSC 1220 St. Catharines got into trouble for programming the station from a studio in the GTA.

1220 CHSC still had live and local broadcasting from a building in St. Catharines Ontario, morning, mid day and afternoon drive week days. All other content (wherever it came from) was in violation for not fitting the agreed format and local area of broadcast. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 30, 2017 1:33 pm  #5

@darcyh "I can receive three 'My FM' stations. These stations originate from Exeter, Strathroy, and St. Thomas. Every time I have tuned to them they are all playing the same song. This suggests they are networked / linked with slots for local commercials. I have never heard a live time / temperature check."

They can use the same music library and feed.  Individual VTs and commercials are dropped into each market from a distant studio.  As long as the station provides unique local content to each, the Commission doesn't care.  It gets worse... FM stations are usually only required to carry 42 hours per week of that kind of local content.  cheap radio indeed.

And i think CHSC was blasted because their studio was in Buffalo or something.

Last edited by splunge (October 30, 2017 1:34 pm)

October 30, 2017 2:07 pm  #6

Actually, I think CHSC was doing its thing part-time from somewhere in Toronto. But according to a 2010 article from the St. Catharines Standard, that's only part of what got its licence yanked.

"[The CRTC] said owner Pellpropco Inc. repeatedly showed non-compliance and disregard for its regulatory obligations. Among many complaints was that it was serving a GTA Italian-speaking audience and providing insufficient St. Catharines content - the jurisdiction it's licensed to serve."  

Among its other sins: 

• broadcasting less than the weekly Canadian content regulatory requirement for category 2 music

• exceeding the weekly maximum allowable level of third-language programming 

• two instances of failing to provide complete logger tapes and complete program logs 

• failing to provide complete financial statements and complete annual Canadian talent development expenditure reports for its annual returns for the broadcast years 2004-2005, 2005-2006 and 2006-2007.

The Commission also received complaints alleging that since 2006 Pellpropco had reoriented CHSC’s programming to serve Toronto’s Italian-speaking community rather than the market it is licensed to serve, St. Catharines. (From the CRTC Decision in 2010)

Speaking of which, where IS Grapevine Radio, anyway?

The Standard: End of an era as CHSC AM-1220 signs off

October 30, 2017 2:47 pm  #7

Sry, I was thinking of CJRN/CKEY Fort Erie.

October 30, 2017 3:08 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I thought the CRTC would have forced owners to have an actual physical presence in the area they're licenced to serve, Most do, of course, but the fact they technically don't have to is something I wasn't expecting. 

Where do you think Jewel 88five broadcasts from? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 30, 2017 4:19 pm  #9

CHSC - aka "Radio Uno" Woodbridge was also way over its limit of 15% (approx. 19 hours a week) of ethnic programming. I seem to recall when his license was revoked, that he claimed Italian music wasn't "ethnic" because everyone loves Italian music.  He also claimed that a flood destroyed financial records and that was why he didn't file financial info - for many years - and even when a demand was made....by the CRTC.   They don't believe in floods, unless the streets are flooded in Gatineau QC.
The regulation for the ability to solicit and broadcast local adverts is 42 hours a week of "local programming".  The question that the CRTC avoids is the extent to which VT's that are "played back" from servers at the station's "local" studio, count or don't count towards the 42 hours.
That's in the Commercial Radio Policy - last updated in 2014.  See paragraph 92: (broadcast week is 126 hours so 1/3 is 42 hours)
[list=1]
[*]Commercial FM stations in competitive markets must refrain from soliciting or accepting local advertising for broadcast during any broadcast week when less than one-third of the programming aired is local. This serves to ensure that such stations provide a strong service to their communities. Some stations are otherwise restricted in the type of advertising that they may broadcast.
[/list]

Some broadcasters don't even have servers on-site to play back in the community of licence.   Assume jewel 88.5 will claim a studio in Newmarket where programming is played back.  Their website suggests otherwise under their "contact us" link.

88.5 The Jewel CKDX-FM
5312 Dundas Street West
Toronto, Ontario

October 30, 2017 4:29 pm  #10

October 30, 2017 5:24 pm  #11

@tvguy.  i think your interpretation of the reg is too narrow.  as long as the VTs are 'separate and distinct' ie. tracked only for that specific station... it counts toward the 42 hours.  it matters not where the VT originates.

CIDC Orangeville also originates from those Dundas st studios.  optics aside it fits with the reg as long as they give orangeville weather and a community calendar.

October 30, 2017 5:36 pm  #12

WHAT DID THE COMMUNITY EXPECT when it accepted & supported the applicant's promises?    When a local highway is closed due to blizzard conditions or a serious vehicle condition, is that promptly reported?   Or is it mentioned the following day?   Optics aside, indeed.     When the studio relocated to the adjacent town, reportedly because the controlling shareholder saw a speculative real estate investment he just had to have, were the locals considered or did it matter to the corporation because they already had the broadcast license (optics aside?)

October 30, 2017 9:12 pm  #13

@geo... yes optics aside, the CRtc doesn't care.  BUT, optics included, advertisers and listeners DO care.  you seem vitriolic about a specific market.  care to share?

It is not my intent to get into a debate... i'm simply passing on the gov't regs as i know them

Last edited by splunge (October 30, 2017 9:15 pm)

October 31, 2017 2:42 am  #14

in the words of the late great buddy holly -- "it doesn't matter anymore"