sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2017 1:46 pm  #1

Weather Network Pleads With Viewers To Keep Them On Mandatory Basic

I can’t remember the last time a Canadian cable channel went to its viewers pleading with them to intervene with the CRTC. But that’s what the Weather Network is up to, crying that if the Commission takes them off must carry, it will not only destroy the channel, hurt owner Pelmorex but also put a huge dent in the emergency notification system they managed to snag the contract for as mandated by the regulator.

On a webpage with the laughable title “How CRTC Changes Could Cost You More!” the network posts this warning:

“Removing The Weather Network and MétéoMédia from the basic television service will require all TV subscribers to access them through a higher-priced channel package or for a standalone fee.

“This means that if The Weather Network is not moved to a package that you already pay for, it will cost you more to receive the weather news and information that you have always had access to.

“Higher tier programming packages tend to cost at least $5 per month, and individual channels are often priced from $2 to $4 per month.

“As a result, if The Weather Network and MétéoMédia are removed from the basic television service, Canadians may need to spend more than $50 extra per year simply to keep what they have now.”

Of course what they don’t say is that it could actually SAVE you money if you don’t subscribe at all. Which I’m betting many of us wouldn’t if we didn’t have to. I wasn’t aware that the Commission was even thinking of rethinking its status, so I’m not entirely sure what this pre-emptive PR gambit is all about.

In a previous post, I published a list of how much each mandatory station costs you every month. In the case of the Weather Network, it's 23 cents every 30 days, which eventually adds up for a station you may not ever watch.  

I’ve never entirely understood the need for a 24-hour nationwide weather service, especially with the coming of the Internet. Or you could just look out the window. If Pelmorex is trying to keep itself from getting blown away, they’re going to have to find another umbrella. Mine isn’t going to be extended for them.

What's At Stake And How You Will Be Affected

October 29, 2017 2:03 pm  #2

Re: Weather Network Pleads With Viewers To Keep Them On Mandatory Basic

When the channel originally launched, there perhaps was a need for it. Now, however, it has become obsolete through technology advances.

They need to learn that taking them off "must carry", people will vote with their wallets. Survive on your own or go off-air. "Must carry" is a lazy way to ensure survival. Time to cut that dependency.

October 29, 2017 2:13 pm  #3

I just fired-up the Weather Network app on my phone to verify that it does indeed contain ads.  This was a revenue stream that wasn't available when they first launched on TV.  I don't mind the ads at all since they're relatively unobtrusive.

Pelmorex are also the people responsible for the emergency warning system that being shoved down broadcaster's (and cable/satellite viewers') throats.  I assume they're not doing this for free, either.

We're seeing it in the retail sector and I'm afraid the broadcast industry isn't far behind.  When the demand for somethings drops to the point of unprofitability, maybe it's time to rethink it.

October 29, 2017 9:38 pm  #4

cGrant wrote:

When the channel originally launched, there perhaps was a need for it. Now, however, it has become obsolete through technology advances.

They need to learn that taking them off "must carry", people will vote with their wallets. Survive on your own or go off-air. "Must carry" is a lazy way to ensure survival. Time to cut that dependency.

Actually, I'm willing to disagree.
CBC took the time to merge their weather news with Pelmorex back in 2014. (source: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cbc-weather-network-strike-partnership/article21524153/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com& )

Need or no need, doesn't CBC still need the channel? 
I'd hate for CBC to cry out that they need more taxes to fund weather news, should Pelmorex pull the plug on the channel.
Somehow, I gather the piper gets paid no matter what, even if it's an over payment.

Watching Weather network on television also offers more privacy:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/weather-network-addictive-mobility-advertising-data-1.4348675 

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 29, 2017 9:52 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.