sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2017 9:40 pm  #1

World Series on FOX - No Simulcast

The first game of the World Series on FOX was not simulcast on Bell Satellite, via Sportsnet tonight.   What a delight.  Some really creative advertising, with baseball themes.   YouTube has unveiled its new streaming service in extended ads, with live content from the FOX telecast.  Impressive.   Never seen a TV ad with "live" content before.

I know it's not the Superbowl, but it's a while since I've seen the diversity of products/services advertised on a sports telecast.  Rather than the same Home Hardware ad  (or endless Roz and Mocha promos) repeated 2 or 3 times in a single commercial cluster.   You really get a sense of how many categories of advertisers have bailed from Canadian TV, when you watch the World Series telecast.  Some really great creative from some major US ad agencies at work.  One more thought.  Tech advertisers such as T-Mobile, Google Home and Alexa have multiple ads running in the telecast.  Rather than the single "Bell" or "Rogers" ads that repeat ad nausea.  

Wow, a couple of hours of TV without those Rogers "Streaming Rules #12" morons.   Hoooray!!!!!

October 24, 2017 9:55 pm  #2

Re: World Series on FOX - No Simulcast

Depending on where you live you can have this full time with an antenna. If you're not living in an apartment or condo, it's a wonderful cure for those Canadian simulcast blues. 

October 24, 2017 10:44 pm  #3

The reason there was no simsub is because SN wasn't showing the fox coverage of the game.

Sportsnet is using the MLB international feed.  It's been like this for years.

October 25, 2017 12:02 am  #4

Sportsnet does that because the MLB International feed allows them to insert virtual ads on the green screen behind home plate. 

October 25, 2017 12:16 am  #5

Now you got me curious.  Does Fox do the green screen thing at the network level or do they allow the local station to insert local ads in there. Aside from the obvious local references in the ads, since I'm on Bell Satellite I'll try flipping between the east and west coast feeds and see if there's a difference. 

That really is a great use of technology for advertising. 

October 25, 2017 12:26 am  #6

Peter the K wrote:

Now you got me curious.  Does Fox do the green screen thing at the network level or do they allow the local station to insert local ads in there. Aside from the obvious local references in the ads, since I'm on Bell Satellite I'll try flipping between the east and west coast feeds and see if there's a difference. 

That really is a great use of technology for advertising. 

I'm almost certain it's done at the network level.  I haven't seen anything local or regional.

October 25, 2017 7:25 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Depending on where you live you can have this full time with an antenna. If you're not living in an apartment or condo, it's a wonderful cure for those Canadian simulcast blues. 

Oh yes. Antennas are wonderful devices. When I would travel to Oakville to visit my parents, it was wonderful to see Buffalo TV simsub free and "crystal" clear 24/7. As a bonus you got extra stations like Grit, Laff and Antenna TV.

October 25, 2017 7:23 pm  #8

Nice to see Sportsnets and former Jay...Buck Martinez on the broadcast team too. He has done the World Baseball Classic in March and the World Series...Some may not like him, but I think he is great and calls a good game...

Oh and Grilled Cheese, I think he played with Kelly Gruber back in the day!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 25, 2017 10:17 pm  #9

So it appears that the MLB green screen ads are national in nature.  I flipped around between the East and West coast feeds for a few at bats and the ads were identical.

Then I found this article from last year:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/10/26/inside-mlbs-virtual-ads-at-world-series.html

Very interesting read.  I didn't realize that last year, there were actually 6 International feeds.  The way I read the article, FOX does all the ad inserting themselves for each feed.  So there would be an individual feed just for Sportsnet.  And here I thought it was just a generic feed that they just happened to pick Buck Martinez to do the call for.