sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2017 5:52 pm  #1

Vancouver Station Claims To Be 1st Ever “Interactive” Broadcaster

Rogers’ Kiss FM in Vancouver claims a first – it says it’s putting up its playlist and letting listeners choose what gets on the air next. According to the Daily Hive, “listeners can choose from the station’s playlist, with songs pushed up and down in real time, as listeners vote on what songs to play.”

Maybe. But I suspect it’s a modern day incarnation of the infamous request lines of the 60s and 70s, where listeners would call in and the song they wanted would air whenever it came up in the rotation (with hits being programmed more often than newcomers or fading tunes that have been around a while.) Otherwise, what’s to prevent a bloc of people from constantly getting the same tune to be played every five minutes?

Nice PR idea, though.

KiSS RADiO becomes first ever fully interactive radio station

KiSS-FM You Control The Music webpage

October 16, 2017 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Vancouver Station Claims To Be 1st Ever “Interactive” Broadcaster

Programming from the man behind the curtain lives on...as it did back in the 70s, 80s and 90s.  After that...up until now...it just doesn't matter.  OZ-FM indeed.

People who truly LOVE music can't possibly be listening to the radio. Why would they?  Radio doesn't play anything of note with any semblance of regularity...ie: even once every day or so.  Payola can't possibly have ever been as controlling as it is right now.  'Cept it's now used for censorship purposes.

The top 6 at 6:00?  Pre-programmed.  NO need to vote...via phone or on line.
Instant requests?  I'll get it on as soon as I can [like when the computer coughs it up]  How 'bout X instead?
"You have a say in the music we play!!!"  No you don't.  Don't be stupid.
Research?  Bullshit.  Fixed to come up with the answers & responses the paid 'consultant' wants.  Done incorrectly at any rate.
Smoke and mirrors R us...Credibility and accomplishments aren't.  The industry is what it is...a relic. 

Last edited by Old Codger (October 16, 2017 6:15 pm)

October 16, 2017 6:46 pm  #3

Old Codger wrote:

"You have a say in the music we play!!!"  No you don't.  Don't be stupid   

what O.C. said goes for me, too

October 17, 2017 5:52 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Otherwise, what’s to prevent a bloc of people from constantly getting the same tune to be played every five minutes?

Would go by ip address, no? The arrow selected can only be chosen once. (per airing of the song)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 17, 2017 10:42 am  #5

Hey RadioActive.  Sounds like me and my iPod............only I get to choose what goes next EVERY TIME!

October 17, 2017 10:50 am  #6

It's a deafening nod to the success and acceptance of Cancon that the audience when given the choice to 'program' the music they want to hear, consistently choose between 30 and 40 percent Canadian music for each daypart.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 17, 2017 10:58 am  #7

ig wrote:

It's a deafening nod to the success and acceptance of Cancon that the audience when given the choice to 'program' the music they want to hear, consistently choose between 30 and 40 percent Canadian music

About a decade ago, a # of us who frequented the K-W/Guelph board met at Waterloo's Harmony Lunch for, well, for lunch, what else?    Can-con was discussed.    A man came in with a child of approx. ten years of age who was evidently fascinated by the flashing lights on the juke box.    He gave her a quarter.     She examined the titles and played "Sugar/Sugar".

A collective groan came up from our table.    The man may or may not have known why, but he gave us a smile.

October 17, 2017 8:11 pm  #8

Groan if you wish, but there are people who like "Sugar Sugar" - such as me - yes, I really do like it.

October 17, 2017 8:24 pm  #9

LDR (Listener Driver Radio) is a lot of smoke and mirrors, but not total BS. Listeners are given a selection of songs to choose from for whatever plays next. That selection of songs is based on the station's clocks and library, so flow (and cancon) remain intact. The legit part is that the votes are actually tabulated, integrated into the music and playback software, and the highest voted song plays. 

October 17, 2017 9:06 pm  #10

Storm wrote:

Groan if you wish, but there are people who like "Sugar Sugar" - such as me - yes, I really do like it.

The Bob Marley and the Wailers version right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgCE23eXBn4

October 17, 2017 10:18 pm  #11

Old Codger wrote:

Storm wrote:

The Bob Marley and the Wailers version right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgCE23eXBn4

Wilson Pickett nailed it, actually.

October 18, 2017 12:50 am  #12

Did the kid ask "Where's the rap daddy??"

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.