sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2017 2:55 pm  #1

Morning TV ratings in Toronto

CP24 just issued a presser saying they are #1 in the morning. What say city?

• CP24 BREAKFAST now attracts 12% more viewers than its closest competitor during weekday broadcasts.
  • Toronto’s #1 local breakfast show boasts double-digit leads over its closest competitor in the A18-49, A18-34, and A25-54 demographics 

October 16, 2017 3:33 pm  #2

Re: Morning TV ratings in Toronto

CP 24 just does news, weather, sports and news right?  No inconsequential and unrelated filler interviews?  Nobody cooking a rubber boot and seasoning it to taste?  No crap-ass 1/2-talent musical acts forcing the changing of the channel?  No co-hosts laughing mercilessly at one of their compatriots so-called attempts at 'humour'?  IT'S NOT FUNNY.  SHUT UP!!!

No wonder they're winning.  That other shyte is older than the Partridge Family.  It's called giving the audience what it wants and needs and cutting out all of the time wasting fat that NOBODY, with a life, has time for.  You can just put in on in the kitchen or in the bedroom and get ready to face your day.  It's radio...with pictures. [which don't really have to be looked at.]  Or at least it should be what info radio does in the morning.  More info so that I don't have to waste time looking it up...and way less laughing and farting about so that I don't have to turn the radio [or in this case the T.V.] off.

Last edited by Old Codger (October 16, 2017 3:36 pm)

October 16, 2017 3:48 pm  #3

SERIOUS question:   who/what is the audience?    We're told that you can't sell oldies radio because retirees have "deep pockets but short arms" heh heh.     How big a part of breakfast club TV is comprised of seniors?    Or individuals relying on welfare?     Who watches daytime TV?      How does one SELL daytime TV?    

October 16, 2017 4:13 pm  #4

geo...it's morning T.V.  It's ALL kinds of people gettin' up and go go goin'.  It's not that daytime yawn festival waste of electricty T.V. which is TRULY the best ever cure for insomnia.

As for oldies radio...their biggest problem?  And I'm serious.  They don't play new music.  It's the only way it'll ever work.  They just have to understand what NEW music will work.  They don't.  If they ever get that right...then it won't be just seniors listening to 'the music of what's left of the rest of their lives'...and, at the same time, getting good and friggin' sick of the narrow universe which drones on and on as they eventually just tune out and begrudgingly accept the obvious fate of that yawning grave site situated and looming just up ahead.

Where's the friggin' ENTERTAINMENT factor?  It sure as shit isn't coming out of the speakers... ... ...

These so-called radio programmers have no idea what they're doing.  Even Q-107 after all their fixes are so far off the mark it's laughable.  [and lousy.]  and pay radio...you know that shyte that wafts down from outer space...just the 60s?  Just the 70s?  Just the 80s?  And the same G D'd songs over and over...several times every flippin' day?  What are you thinking?  You're not thinking.  Or capable.  Or talented.  Or right.  Go watch some daytime T.V.  You've earned it.

Last edited by Old Codger (October 16, 2017 4:21 pm)

October 16, 2017 4:39 pm  #5

SERIOUS answer:    Rock 'n roll radio's been goin' downhill ever since it replaced "Short Fat Fanny" with "Cherish" and "Windy".   Since it replaced Little Richard with Fabian.   Since it replaced "Rumble" by Link Wray with "Theme From a Summer Place".      Since it replaced Al Boliska (OK he's dead but is that a valid excuse?) with . . . get my drift?    

​A recent thread criticized Barrie's CHAY, but that's exactly what 1050 CHUM became.  

October 16, 2017 5:37 pm  #6

geo wrote:

SERIOUS question:   who/what is the audience?    We're told that you can't sell oldies radio because retirees have "deep pockets but short arms" heh heh.     How big a part of breakfast club TV is comprised of seniors?    Or individuals relying on welfare?     Who watches daytime TV?      How does one SELL daytime TV?    

It was once explained to me that all morning TV is for people who don't actually ever watch the show. The theory is you're getting ready for work, feeding the kids breakfast, doing your hair and make-up, getting dressed from the shower, etc. etc. etc. 

So that's why the shows are so uninspired and so full of insipid happy talk, mixed with lots of traffic and weather. Those behind them believe viewers are tuning in and out between their morning ablutions, so unless there's a terrorist attack somewhere close by or a big snowstorm (always a HUGE tune-in factor) no one's really paying very close attention. So you won't see any endless analysis of a new government policy or anything else of substance. 

It's the only TV show next to the fireplace and chicken channel I can think of that's being done for people who aren't watching! 

Old Codger wrote:

As for oldies radio...their biggest problem?  And I'm serious.  They don't play new music.

Way back in the days when all oldies WCBS-FM was one of the top New York City stations, they used to play what they'd call "future gold" in between the classics, about every fourth record. I always thought that was a clever idea and it seemed to work - until the powers-that-be decided to tinker with the format and killed it. It eventually became the very unsuccessful Big Apple version of "Jack FM," which bombed big time and garnered horrible PR for the station.

It's now back to oldies but a shadow of its former rating self. 

October 16, 2017 5:46 pm  #7

Well that's the easy explanation geo.  Times, trends and styles do change...but I hear you.  And many of the changes occurred back in the day because money called ALL of the shots.  Like you want ***ME*** to spend money with *you*?  Then stop playing that race music/that rock 'n' roll music/that music that questions authority/that ROCK music/that 'fill in the blanks' music.  For these past 25-30 years it's been close to nothing but mindless pablum dominating the top 30...and those puke inducing 'songs' stay on the radio as current 'hits' for upwards of 9 months at a time.  39-40 weeks of the same old/same old/ shyte recycled immediately thereafter as an effin' recurrent?  And all the while those that sink into only being played twice a day instead of 10 times per 24 hours...or more...get replaced by another next to disposable piece of meaningless filler.

Nowadays it's you want ***ME*** to support your expansion efforts and to buy your stock?  Then tell your corporate lackeys to drop this, that and the next thing [including not just lyrically enlightening music but also REAL news and, while you're at it,  forget investigative reporting and let me and my mega company get filthy rich screwing the world over.  Oh and do it yesterday.  Then there's the music biz.  Where does one begin in THAT regard?  The cannibal which ate itself.  And we watched, let it happen and accepted it as A-OK?  Yup.  Music and radio deserve each other.  Dumb and Dumber.

I think the only reason radio has survived up 'til now is primarily because people are lazy and willing to begrudgingly accept a plummeting common denominator.  We sure as shootin' have done it with TV.  Don't make me think.  Don't spoil my illusions.  Don't wake me up.  Don't tell me the truth.  Just dance.
----------------------------------------------- 

[Fake laughter optional.]

Last edited by Old Codger (October 16, 2017 5:51 pm)

October 16, 2017 8:19 pm  #8

Yikes. I am in their demographics...I work out on my stationary bike and do weights each morning before work, I usually watch BT on Channel 7 (City TV) and if I don't watch that I tune into Sportsnet...to watch the wrap up from the games from the night before...

But I do watch this and as it get's colder and darker in the morning I won't be doing my morning walks outside as much and will be on the bike inside, watching Breakfast Television or Sports...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 17, 2017 2:02 am  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

Isn't CP24 on in the background of most business establishments, including the TTC?

Isn't this like CHFI where all the offices play it but no one actually listens?

CP24 is EVERYWHERE, in reception areas in most of the major banks, on tiny screens in elevators on Bay Street, in stores.

g.c is right. CP24 is the CHFI of television.

CP24 is even on in the waiting rooms of most, maybe all of the downtown hospitals. It's enough to make you sick...

October 17, 2017 6:02 am  #10

grilled.cheese wrote:

Isn't CP24 on in the background of most business establishments, including the TTC?

Actually, the CP 24 channel is not on in the Subway. It's just a separate screen with tons of advertising for local businesses and heavily promoting CP 24 with sports scores, subway delays etc.
It's not the actual CP 24 channel.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D5TXkm7owsE/U8VhsENfgFI/AAAAAAAAEPU/UxT9BlxudDc/s1600/TTC+Spadina+Station+(7).JPG[/img]

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 17, 2017 8:17 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 17, 2017 8:06 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

geo wrote:

It was once explained to me that all morning TV is for people who don't actually ever watch the show. The theory is you're getting ready for work, feeding the kids breakfast, doing your hair and make-up, getting dressed from the shower, etc. etc. etc. 

So that's why the shows are so uninspired and so full of insipid happy talk, mixed with lots of traffic and weather. Those behind them believe viewers are tuning in and out between their morning ablutions, so unless there's a terrorist attack somewhere close by or a big snowstorm (always a HUGE tune-in factor) no one's really paying very close attention. So you won't see any endless analysis of a new government policy or anything else of substance. 

It's the only TV show next to the fireplace and chicken channel I can think of that's being done for people who aren't watching! 

Old Codger wrote:

As for oldies radio...their biggest problem?  And I'm serious.  They don't play new music.

Way back in the days when all oldies WCBS-FM was one of the top New York City stations, they used to play what they'd call "future gold" in between the classics, about every fourth record. I always thought that was a clever idea and it seemed to work - until the powers-that-be decided to tinker with the format and killed it. It eventually became the very unsuccessful Big Apple version of "Jack FM," which bombed big time and garnered horrible PR for the station.

It's now back to oldies but a shadow of its former rating self. 

Found this post by "L Chanon Gade" about WCBS-FM on Radio Discussions:

"Regarding "Future Gold" -from what I recall Mad Ave was hesitant about the Oldies format so CBS started adding currents, about one per hour in the first half of 1973. It was a good idea and over the decades it allowed a natural evolution of the format McCoy dropped it in 1992 and the station became a stale museum. Then the "demo-rot" caught up with them and they panicked in the early 2000's. They were up s--t's creek by 2005 and blowing them up was an act of mercy... it also gave them another shot two years later."

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 17, 2017 8:21 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 17, 2017 8:14 am  #12

The following is an old article, but it describes the CP24 section of the TTC screens as an advertorial and I think that's still correct.
https://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/data/200802291202.shtml
Here's an image showing the CP24 section.
http://www.pattisononestop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/ttc-network-slider-4-1140x649.jpg

October 17, 2017 8:20 am  #13

geo wrote:

I've heard that the prevailing "wisdom" among ad agencies is that seniors are too entrenched in their buying habits, therefore advertising is wasted on them.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 17, 2017 8:21 am  #14

Lorne wrote:

The following is an old article, but it describes the CP24 section of the TTC screens as an advertorial and I think that's still correct.
https://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/data/200802291202.shtml
Here's an image showing the CP24 section.
http://www.pattisononestop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/ttc-network-slider-4-1140x649.jpg

Thank-you. That's a good find.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 17, 2017 9:22 am  #15

'Future Gold' is only the 1/2 of what NEW and newer music should be included.  But where's the payola in THAT?  You think it can't be proven that payola lives?  All you need to do is listen to what the sheep wearing the bells are playing...and the followers fall into line w/o collecting a penny.

Some of that crap they play?  There isn't enough money.