sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2017 11:01 pm  #1

What Happens When You're Literally Under Fire In Radio

This is an interesting story about a radio station in the middle of the raging California fire disaster, that has somehow managed to stay on the air, despite flames coming within feet of the studios. It makes me wonder if I'd stick around if such a fiery menace was circling all around me. 

"If you tune in, you may hear hosts yelling into the other room, asking someone to move their car because fires are getting closer. Or you may hear a marriage and family therapist who talks about the very messy and painful stages of grief." 

In an era where loyalty and work ethic often means less than a station's bottom line, it's pretty amazing dedication.

Amidst the flames, Santa Rosa's KZST stays on the air

October 15, 2017 11:32 pm  #2

Re: What Happens When You're Literally Under Fire In Radio

RadioActive wrote:

In an era where loyalty and work ethic often means less than a station's bottom line, it's pretty amazing dedication.

Ya...I suppose it is.  It's also about as dumb as it comes.  No really.  Why?

1.  Loyalty.  In this business it's a goner.  The place will be sold...or change format or find younger/cheaper and...toodles.
2.  How many folks have yet to be evacuated?  The audience is in complete upheaval.  Many have lost their homes. 
3.  Power to homes in much of the area must have been affected and who still owns battery operated transistor radios?  Even if it's on-line...who's got time to tune in?

It's rather like those CNN dinks standing out in the face of the hurricanes.  Sounds like an idea with some semblance of merit.  But is it really?  I don't think so.  "Hey!!!  Listen to/look at me!!!  DON'T do THIS!!!  I'm obviously stupid." ... ... ...Restricted to those 18 years of age and older.