sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2017 4:42 am  #1

The future of radio...

Seeing as how it is Halloween month, it's time to gaze into your crystal ball and predict...

When I got into radio, we were using carts, records/turntables, we cut tape to do our editing oh and at Seneca College we had to patch into the board, until we finally got a brand new McCurdy!

So given the many changes in radio, such as podcasting (which has only been happening for the past 13 or so years), online radio and the plethora of online listening choices, the big conglomerate formats, where do you see radio going in the next 5 years?

I see a return to smart programming, niche formats, and the return of personalities...

But where do you see it going? Comment away!

Oh and Happy Halloween! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 15, 2017 11:08 am  #2

Re: The future of radio...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 15, 2017 1:16 pm  #3

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I see a return to smart programming, niche formats, and the return of personalities     

from your lips to God's ears

October 15, 2017 1:30 pm  #4

Ms. C. wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I see a return to smart programming, niche formats, and the return of personalities     

Does God get a PPM or just the old diary?

October 15, 2017 3:37 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Does God get a PPM or just the old diary?

everyone knows god lives in Collingwood... no PPM for him/her/it/other

But will still get a toonie for the effort.

October 15, 2017 11:19 pm  #6

Radio has a future?  Really?  Not as long as over-sized, bloated, non-broadcast corporations continue to run the 'thing'.  [into oblivion]  There used to be the odd reference to some radio stations as being  "unattended jukeboxes".  Nowadays?  It's the norm...even when there is someone in attendance.  There  can't possibly be a music director let alone a music department can there?  It sure as shyte doesn't sound like it.

It's all about the shareholders and management bonuses.  The audience can collectively go forth and multiply.  The ONLY salvation for radio is the future of the independent smaller companies...the ones who choose NOT to copy the 'big boys' and use their 'bought and paid for' playlists.  If and when THAT kind of radio starts to make its mark in the ratings...radio might have to wake up and realize that it's strangling what's left of its own future.  Oh...and UNLESS it's a risk taking kind of unique radio experience advertisers should spend their budgets elsewhere.

Backing dinosaurs has never paid off so no sense staying with that choice now.

As for talk radio?  Give me that pill the spies all used to carry.  There's too much of it and it's not often done well enough by bright enough people with intelligent guests let alone an interesting participating audience so ... ... ...NO!!!  It's just a never-ending onslaught of stupid...on a daily basis.

I hope Joe is right.  " I see a return to smart programming, niche formats, and the return of personalities."

Meanwhile...I'll bet most folks who voice-track don't even listen to their own shows.  And if YOU can't listen to it...why would you expect anyone else to?  What a mess it all is.  Tiny talent time.