sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2017 8:35 pm  #1

Sunday Sunday

Would anyone happen to have a logo or any artwork connected with the public affairs show "Sunday Sunday", which aired locally on CFTR from 1980 to 1982.

I'm also looking for any background I can find on this show, especially who hosted it. I know Arlene Bynon and Ben Steinfeld hosted it at one time, but did anyone else take the hosting reins during its short life? Thanks!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 8, 2017 8:49 pm  #2

Re: Sunday Sunday

Actually, the Sunday Sunday I remember around that "time frame" (which was the name of the show that preceded it) was nationally syndicated out of CFTR beginning in the fall of 1980. 

The host back then was none other than news director Robert Holiday and featured weekly contributions from 'TR newsroom regulars including John Wilson, Tricia Wood, Bev Bowman, Melanie Reffes and of course, the main producer, the late Clint Nickerson. Other 680 types also were expected to play an occasional role and names like Corey Galbraith, Roger Ward and Dana Lewis did a few bits, and yes, so did Arlene Bynon and Ben Steinfeld, although they weren't hosts. 

And if memory serves, even soon-to-be-Rogers high muckety-muck John Hinnen did the occasional sports story or two. If I'm not mistaken, some subscriber stations' newsrooms occasionally sent in pieces, as well. 

It was quite an undertaking in the days of reel-to-reel distribution (no satellite use back then.) It lasted until early 1982, when it was cancelled because, while it was well received, it was simply too expensive to produce.

October 9, 2017 10:42 pm  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

Would anyone happen to have a logo or any artwork connected with the public affairs show "Sunday Sunday", which aired locally on CFTR from 1980 to 1982.

I'm also looking for any background I can find on this show, especially who hosted it. I know Arlene Bynon and Ben Steinfeld hosted it at one time, but did anyone else take the hosting reins during its short life? Thanks!

Dale the only suggestion I have for you is to try to talk with Tim Keele. You may know who he is but he worked at CFTR in the documentary unit back in the day and he may be able to help you. He is all over social media etc. today and may still be "on the air" somewhere close to you. I don't know.

I do know he wouldn't be hard to find.

Let me know if it pans out...

October 10, 2017 5:08 pm  #4

Thanks Unc!

October 14, 2017 7:25 pm  #5

"Sunday Sunday" is featured this week in the Scrapbook. Great to have it in the archive. Now if only I could find a clean copy of CHUM-FM's "In Toronto", or CKFM's "Hour Toronto."

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 14, 2017 7:26 pm)