sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2017 9:07 pm  #1

Monty Hall Dies At 96

Maybe he finally knows what's behind the Biggest Door Of All. Monty Hall, who worked for a time at CHUM in Toronto before heading onto game show fame with "Video Village" and "Let's Make A Deal," is gone. His daughter, actress Joanna Gleason, confirms he died from heart failure this weekend. 

Many, many years ago, I interviewed Monty when he came back to Toronto for a charity event. Very nice guy but at the time he was still reeling from a Cdn. version of "Deal" that he said went so awry, he vowed he'd never do the show again. But he did. Yet another version of it still airs on CBS, with Wayne Brady as the "I'll give you $100 for an egg" ringmaster. 

Since Hall co-created and co-owned the format, he made money even though he was no longer on it. He had a good sense of humour about his fame. So I can only hope at his funeral someone will offer to trade what's in the "box" for the curtain at the side of the funeral home.

Hall, a renowned philanthropist, often said he had originally wanted to be an actor. And he was at least once, appearing as himself in one of the greatest episodes of the original 60's incarnation of "The Odd Couple," in which Felix and Oscar go on the show (dressed as a horse) to win the former a new bed. 

He had a good run. The host, born Monte Halparin in Winnipeg, was 96.

Monty Hall, Co-Creator and Host of ‘Let’s Make a Deal,’ Dies at 96 

October 1, 2017 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Monty Hall Dies At 96

Monty did a radio show @ CFRB called "The auctioneer." He never mentioned that he worked at CHUM.

October 1, 2017 4:28 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Hall, a renowned philanthropist, often said he had originally wanted to be an actor. And he was at least once, appearing as himself in one of the greatest episodes of the original 60's incarnation of "The Odd Couple," in which Felix and Oscar go on the show (dressed as a horse) to win the former a new bed.

I don't remember that episode, but my recollection was that the tv show debuted in 1970 (based, of course, on a stage play and movie from the 1960s) so I did a bit of searching ... it appears that the show in question is actually from 1973. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0664246/

October 1, 2017 5:22 pm  #4

The show ran from 1970-1975, but for some reason, when I think of it, I place it in the late 60s. Anyway, it was one of the best unheralded sitcoms of its day. I still remember Tony Randall talking about the show years later, noting it was never really a hit on ABC during its run. But he noted that Jack Klugman predicted it would become a breakout in syndication.

And he was right. Many now consider this incarnation (it's since been remade countless times on TV)  one of the great classics of its time, primarily because of its great writing and perfect casting. I know whenever I come across it, it still makes me laugh.