sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2017 10:50 am  #1

Toronto Star Among Many Papers Apparently Fooled By iPhone Story

There's nothing like a juicy headline to get an editor to run a story in their paper. Especially when the origin is a trusted source like Bloomberg News. Which may explain a semi-outraged piece, published in a ton of papers like the Toronto Star, in which American politicians and officials, including the head of the FCC, demand that Apple turn on the FM radio chips in its iPhone to help those in hurricane stricken locales like Puerto Rico, Florida and Texas. 

The article rightly states that over-the-air broadcast radio is often the only lifeline for people without power struggling to get any information after the disasters. So the demand seems perfectly reasonable. 

There's just one problem, according to those who know something about the inner workings of the Apple products: iPhones made in the past few years don't contain an FM chip and thus, it's impossible to turn on something that isn't there. 

Apple just schooled the FCC on iPhones

There's been a lot of controversy over the past few years about non-activated FM chips in cell phones. But it appears someone at Bloomberg made an assumption and went with the story. And so did everyone else. 

I know almost nothing about iPhones or the inner workings of the beast.  But if what the gleeful geeks are saying is correct, then the error has spread like a virus. At last count, it was in several dozens of the newspapers I've seen online and there are probably a lot more.

Hard to believe no one checked this out.

Apple would like to remind the FCC that it can’t activate imaginary FM radios that iPhones don’t have

September 29, 2017 11:46 am  #2

Re: Toronto Star Among Many Papers Apparently Fooled By iPhone Story

At least they didn't run with this story...  

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 29, 2017 11:51 am  #3

The real problem seems to be the FCC. They seemed to be unaware that the newest Iphones don't have the radios. The older ones apparently do ( sorry I don't use an Iphone),

The Newspapers were reporting an FCC dictate and granted that a savvy editorial department should have picked this up.and this story did eventually:

FCC Article

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 29, 2017 12:01 pm  #4

Several months ago, a Bloomberg story ran featuring the actress Blake Lively learning CPR, and how important it is that parents learn this skill. The writer pointed out that, if no class was available for the reader to attend,  there were many YouTube videos that taught the Heimlich maneuver. I reread it several times and the story lead the reader to  think that two diametrically different life saving actions were the same.

If creative accounting is considered fraud, creative reporting is.. ...a damn embarrassment? Dangerous to your health?

September 29, 2017 12:04 pm  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

At least they didn't run with this story...  

PJ

Never say never..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfbE3_uAMA

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 29, 2017 12:05 pm  #6

Crap.  I misread this and typed 'hind lick maneuver'.   Who knew the IT guys had that kind of monitoring in place .

betaylored wrote:

Several months ago, a Bloomberg story ran featuring the actress Blake Lively learning CPR, and how important it is that parents learn this skill. The writer pointed out that, if no class was available for the reader to attend, there were many YouTube videos that taught the Heimlich maneuver. I reread it several times and the story lead the reader to think that two diametrically different life saving actions were the same.

If creative accounting is considered fraud, creative reporting is.. ...a damn embarrassment? Dangerous to your health?

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 29, 2017 2:54 pm  #7

Lots of android phones have the FM chip.
It's activated in some, not in others, depending on where you bought it (from a factory distributor) or which service provider you bought it from.
Many disable the chip if it's there but it's usually a simple fix to fire it up if you're willing to open up the phone and usually just connect one trace, from the chip to the headphone jack because the headphones act as the antenna. 
I have a Leagoo phone from China, 99 bucks, two sim cards, an SD card for extra storage and all the bells and whistles of the big brand names.
The FM receiver is very good and easily receives all of the signals in the Vancouver market.