sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2017 10:10 am  #1

Bell’s Proposals Are So Outrageous You May Not Believe Them

There’s nothing that can make many eyes close faster than discussing free trade. But what Bell Canada is quoted as having presented to a House of Commons Committee last week on what it would like to see in the new NAFTA agreement will open those eyes pronto.

The company reportedly suggested it would be a good idea to create an entity, overseen but not run by the CRTC, that would be allowed to block websites it believes promote piracy. The request would mean this body would be allowed to decide which websites Canadians would not even be allowed to access if they use a national ISP.

The idea of censoring the Internet is bad enough. But by putting it into NAFTA, it bypasses the courts and public scrutiny, which longtime analyst Michael Geist suggests wouldn’t pass the smell test before a judge. And while fighting piracy is a laudable goal, who knows where it would stop? Who’s to say that someone on this mysterious board doesn’t like something a competitor does and bans Canadians from seeing it? It’s the old “slippery slope” and Bell apparently wants you to go down it against your will.

In addition they want to impose harsh criminal penalties for copyright infringement. I can see it now.

“What are you in jail for?”

“Murder”

“Oh. What are you in jail for?”

“I embezzled a million dollars from my company.”

“And why are you locked behind bars?”

“I watched an illegal stream of Game of Thrones.”

Perhaps they could being back the death penalty for such a terrible offence!

But it doesn’t stop there. It appears they also suggested that simsub be enshrined in the new NAFTA and get this – it's reported that they want to either prevent you from being able to view American stations at all or else charge you a small fortune to get them.

Thankfully, it’s extremely unlikely any of these provisions would ever come to pass. But if what's been reported is true, the fact it’s the world Bell would like all of us to live in speaks almost as much as the proposals themselves.

Michael Geist outlines the entire outrageous package here. But make sure you read the comments that follow.

Last edited by RadioActive (September 25, 2017 10:27 am)

September 25, 2017 1:54 pm  #2

Re: Bell’s Proposals Are So Outrageous You May Not Believe Them

It's amazing what self interest brings forth -- the stupidest of ideas.

Just a few weeks back I was stunned to hear that Jerry Dias was in Mexico City making speeches to workers there.

Pretty amazing...

September 25, 2017 2:07 pm  #3

StrongVPN

Where it's netflix or youtube on a Via train, or WhatsApp on a plane, it's a lifesaver.
If either of those were considered life threatening I guess.

If nobody can see your traffic, they can't censor it.  Pretty straight forward.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 25, 2017 5:19 pm  #4

Folks, we're talking about the same Bell that wanted the CRTC to change the rules to freely allow ownership of 3 AM and 3 FM in a market instead of the current two AM and two FM.
I'm not the least bit surprised they are now pulling this crap. 

Hopefully it'll never happen.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 25, 2017 5:45 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

Folks, we're talking about the same Bell that wanted the CRTC to change the rules to freely allow ownership of 3 AM and 3 FM in a market instead of the current two AM and two FM.

Sigh....

September 25, 2017 6:14 pm  #6

Sell those stocks.  Get the hell away from Bell.  They're led by stupid people who understand not the business...not one iota of what makes it tick and work.  THIS is no surprise.  It's Bell.  It's what Bell has always been.  Self appointed bullshit bullies...always 'calling it' to suit themselves.

Don't listen to Bell.  Don't watch Bell...Don't 'do' Bell...or Rodgers...or is it Rogers? 

It's Skydome...Why give them 'free' time?  Did they pay YOU?  I always call it Skydome.  No exceptions.  I don't rent their shit...either one of them.  I don't generally watch or listen to their shit...although I do support the CFL.  The CFL is Canadian... ... ...in spite of Bell... ... ...who aren't.  They're just friggin' greedy.  Just like Rodgers.  Screw 'em both.

September 25, 2017 6:37 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

It's Skydome.

If it could be done, I'd wave my magic wand and send you into a world where the Skydome and it's land had to be shut down and torn down due to no one investing in it. 

Rogers did a lot to keep the Jays alive. As far as I am concerned they EARNED that Rogers centre name. 
If you don't like it, where's your deep pockets to change the name back? 
It's Rogers Centre, and that is what it is.

September 25, 2017 6:41 pm  #8

How do you tear down land? Also, "its".

September 25, 2017 6:51 pm  #9

Don wrote:

How do you tear down land? Also, "its".

Land is "torn down" temporarily as it is tested for soil...long story, well over your head.
Thanks for reading deep into it though.

September 25, 2017 6:54 pm  #10

*eyeroll*

Please link to the Bell asking for 3 FMs and AMs thing.

Last edited by Don (September 25, 2017 6:55 pm)

September 25, 2017 7:27 pm  #11

You're being naive if you don't believe all the majors have 'discussions' on-going if (when) the CRTC changes the rules for 3/3 or whatever it is.   I've been privy to some of these, and there's nothing wrong with it.  

It's not just Bell that has broached this, Rogers & Corus have also openly discussed the possibility.   And it's smart business sense on their part to be prepared for it.  I'd bet in the next decade you'll see a loosening of the strings.  Especially as HD and non-traditional radio becomes more popular.    I'd guess you'll also see more frequency 'sharing' with HD, like CFMS and CJSA are doing with a bunch of multicultural outlets.  

If I can have an FM Frequency, with 4 'stations' on it, why is that so different than having multiple terrestrial sticks?  It's a bit like how important dial position used to be for tv stations.  More and more people flip between 17 and 532 without thinking about it.

Radiowiz wrote:

I'm not the least bit surprised they are now pulling this crap. 

Hopefully it'll never happen.

September 25, 2017 9:29 pm  #12

coming back to the original post.... yes Bell is not known for courting public sympathy, and more than once they've said dumb things.  but get over your face-value indignation and consider this.  it is common practice to demand the moon, only to be given half of what you ask for, and consider it a victory.

Bell's statements are outrageous, no doubt.  but A) it has created a discussion about the issues, and B) they might actually win a minimal concession out of it eventually.

Unlike a certain world leader, i believe there is a calculated method to Bells madness.

also, ig is correct, lots of owners want more than a 2/2 or 3/3 set of sticks in a market.  In fact, didn't the OAB write a position paper to that effect a few years ago?

September 25, 2017 11:38 pm  #13

In the major markets, there are no viable available over the air FM frequencies left.  To go three and three, they'd have to buy from the other corpse.

Last edited by Mike Cleaver (September 25, 2017 11:43 pm)

September 26, 2017 4:36 am  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

It's Skydome.

If it could be done, I'd wave my magic wand and send you into a world where the Skydome and it's land had to be shut down and torn down due to no one investing in it. 

Rogers did a lot to keep the Jays alive. As far as I am concerned they EARNED that Rogers centre name. 
If you don't like it, where's your deep pockets to change the name back? 
It's Rogers Centre, and that is what it is.

They've won it all how many times?  Oh...right...0 since Ted's company bought it.  Ziltch.  Nadda  S.F.A.  They paid what?  ...a dollar for the building?  So?   It's Skydome.   And you know what wiz...it should be torn down.  It's obsolete.  Has been almost from the get-go.  Oh sure it's fun that the roof opens and closes but it's a dangerous place to run around and jump and slide and land.  As a football outlet it's worthless ...unusable in realistic terms... and with very little in the way of parking near it...it's more often nothing better than a long walk punctuated with disappointments...adorned with the name of a company which always takes FAR MORE than it gives.  Bell and their ilk...including Rogers...want it all for as little as possible.  OK...it makes business sense.  BUT they're ruining the business...because they offer so little...and they're looking to offer even less...for more of our money.

Sadly...including Rogers...they're not broadcasting companies anymore.  They're just a sty full of businessmen.

Last edited by Old Codger (September 26, 2017 4:43 am)

September 26, 2017 4:53 am  #15

Old Codger wrote:

It's Skydome.  

It's the Rogers Centre. Like I said, if it bothers you so much, buy it and then call it what you want.
As far as I'm concerned, Rogers rescued the dome and kept it alive.
Where were you? Where was your money if it was "so little"?? 
Buy the damn place already or quit whining about the name!!

September 26, 2017 11:16 am  #16

Believe them?   Unless posted by grilled.cheese I don't believe any of this shite

September 26, 2017 12:17 pm  #17

Well I'm not buying it just to tear it down.  A waste of dough.  So?  SKYDOME it remains... ... ...at least on my show...and on quite a few other shows I'm aware of as well.   Meanwhile...I'm also not buying it because I'm not giving them ANY of my money.  They'd just waste it.  [and give the paying customer the same worthless shyte they're supplying now.]

I don't watch Sports Net ever.  City tv?  No.  CHFI?  Not with your ears.  And their cable?  Nope.  Phone?  Not a chance.  They get no pennies and no seconds...let alone minutes...of my time.  Aside from McCown...they have nothing that I'm remotely interested in...and I'm happy to do without.  What?  No Wrasslin'?  You got it.

September 26, 2017 12:29 pm  #18

Old Codger wrote:

Well I'm not buying it just to tear it down.  A waste of dough.  So?  SKYDOME it remains.

It is the Rogers centre today, but thanks for living in the past. While you're there, can you dig up some hog music for me? At least I don't still call AM 640 the Hog in 2017...

September 26, 2017 2:38 pm  #19

No...That's what we call Donald Trump.  At least those of us who don't care to take the present day as being the only truth...let alone the be-all/end-all.  Jeez-wiz...you sure do march to other people's drums doncha?  Life is one big road with lots of signs...don't let those crassly emblazoned with "Rogers Centre" complicate your mind.

September 26, 2017 4:15 pm  #20

Don wrote:

"its"

I could be wrong as usual, but "it's" appeared in RadioWiz post as a contraction for "it is (Rogers Centre)"
Not one to spoil a potentially exciting pissing match between two interesting, long-term SOWNY posters, I defer to the Stickler for a decision

September 26, 2017 4:30 pm  #21

Radiowiz wrote:

While you're there, can you dig up some hog music for me? At least I don't still call AM 640 the Hog in 2017...

You mean CFGM? And obviously not the Rick Sargent one, the CJRH one .

September 26, 2017 4:36 pm  #22

Radiowiz wrote:

If it could be done, I'd wave my magic wand and send you into a world where the Skydome and it's land

This land is its land ...

September 26, 2017 9:00 pm  #23

geo wrote:

Don wrote:

"its"

I could be wrong as usual, but "it's" appeared in RadioWiz post as a contraction for "it is (Rogers Centre)"

No, with the apostrophe, it reads as the Skydome and it is land, but I think you might be looking at a different post than the one I was responding to..

Last edited by Don (September 26, 2017 9:01 pm)

September 26, 2017 9:06 pm  #24

Open Media, which purports to speak for the "little guy" in Canada against Goliaths like Bell and Rogers, has come out swinging against Bell's suggestions on NAFTA. 

Bell Canada: weaponizing copyright

September 28, 2017 6:45 pm  #25

I certainly trust there has been sufficient coverage of this story on CTV, CP24 and Newstalk 1010?

September 28, 2017 9:32 pm  #26

If you work for Bell...in any capacity...it's doubtful that you're allowed to wear your "I'm With Stupid" hat or tee shirt...especially on camera.  At most Canadian Broadcast outlets they practice the age old Canadian dictum "freedom of speech... ... ...as long as you don't say too much."

I'd bet that most on-air 'personalities' at Bell sign some kind of waver agreeing to keep their mouths shut and their brains on hold.  You can slam politicians...to a point...and athletics a tad further,  But for the real McCoy?  Mum's the word.  [or else.]

September 28, 2017 9:41 pm  #27

If Bell's stance doesn't already make you sick, consider this: with the CRTC's blessing, they've just been given permission to stop contributing to MuchFact, the entity that helped get Canadian music videos made and was an integral part of the original licence for the old MuchMusic in the City TV days. 

The reasoning is sound, actually - they don't play very many videos anymore so why make something no one watches? (Ironically, like my point about CanCon in a previous thread!) So while I don't have any major argument with the change, it's this quote reproduced on FYIMusicNews.ca that really gets my goat:

"We don't owe anyone an explanation for this after giving $131 million. I think after making hundreds, thousands of music videos and paying for them … I think we're pretty good guys." — Bell Media President Randy Lennox

If Bell figures they're "pretty good guys," I suggest they look at the comments section of any newspaper or forum whenever their name comes up. Apparently, they're the only ones who think so.   

September 28, 2017 9:54 pm  #28

Music videos ruined music.  So?  'They' must have been pretty big assholes...well at least CHUM was.  Bell bought that.  Now they own it.

Music videos took music away from music people and passed it on to Barbie and Ken dolls who couldn't really sing, or play an instrument or write an effin' song.  So joe and joeanne public put up with THAT shit for a decade before finally agreeing that being trendy wasn't a valid pay-off and they subsequently  and  collectively stopped watching that tone-dead/quality devoid crap on TV.

Problem was...radio kept playing that out and out POOP and... for the most part...radio is still playing that made for TV muZac.  Everybody loses.

And these folks are in charge?

Are you sure it's Randy Lennox?  I'm pretty sure that his actual first name is Dick.

Last edited by Old Codger (September 28, 2017 9:55 pm)

September 28, 2017 11:31 pm  #29

interesting how bell is taking credit for muchfact expenditures going back to 84... long before they owned it

September 29, 2017 7:19 am  #30

I agree with OC I don't care what it it now called I still refer to where I live as UPPER CANADA a colony of the British Empire.