sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2017 12:52 am  #1

What are Florida Radio Stations doing?

There are many radio stations in the mandatory evacuation areas of Florida.
Does anyone know how they are handling this?
I am thinking full automation with remote capability as long as they have some way of communicating with the transmitter or studio. For stations without this capability would they just shut down and go off air?
Are some broadcasters staying put and taking their chances. I can't imagine an employer forcing employees to work in a situation like this.

Any thoughts?

September 10, 2017 9:14 am  #2

Re: What are Florida Radio Stations doing?

I was listening to some Tampa and Miami radio stations last night. There's nothing like hearing local coverage to bring the disaster home. 

In Tampa, WFLA-AM, the news/talk station there, is playing on all iHeartradio stations in the area - and there are a large number of them. So the rock, soul and oldies outlets are all broadcasting the same WFLA signal during the emergency. That means the rest of whatever staff those other stations have can take shelter, while the only ones working are those toiling for the main format.

It's similar in Miami, where WIOD is the main AM news outlet, and is also an iHeart station.

Meanwhile, the local Miami and Tampa TV stations are still providing coverage, although I'm not sure who's watching. As of this posting, some 800,000 homes are without power and it's predicted that could go as high as 3-4 million by the time the storm is finally done. So they're essentially broadcasting to no one, except to CNN and Fox, which are occasionally picking up those feeds.

WFLA Listen Live  

WIOD Listen Live

September 10, 2017 2:01 pm  #3

Just heard a fascinating exchange on WIOD in Miami, just after a tornado warning was issued for the area, spawned by the hurricane.

The two hosts began debating about whether to leave the studio and stop broadcasting if things get worse outside and a funnel cloud is spotted heading for them. For now, they decided to remain but it made me wonder - if I were in that situation, would I stay on the air or run for safety, even though for those without power I might be the only way to get info to people? 

I would probably stay and take my chances - after all, where else could you go at that point? -  but it's hard to know until you face it. 

What would you do if you were on the air and in the bull's eye of such a monster storm? 

September 10, 2017 6:14 pm  #4

Irma knocked home coverage of the Miami Marlins off the air and forced it to be replaced by the opposing Atlanta Braves broadcast instead.

"I don't remember it ever happening where ... we couldn't get on the air at all," [play-by-play broadcaster] Dave Van Horne told the Associated Press.

You may remember the Van Horne name. He was once the voice of the now defunct Montreal Expos. According to the article, he sat and watched the rest of the game without being able to say anything on air.

Irma knocks Marlins' radio broadcast off the air.  

September 10, 2017 7:30 pm  #5

Channel 7 in Miami is describing their video because they said the majority of the audience is listening on several local radio stations that are carrying their audio.  You can see their feed here: http://wsvn.com/on-air-live-stream/

September 10, 2017 11:51 pm  #6

How are you able to access WIOD and other U.S. IHeartradio stations online?  They appear to be geoblocked for me.
I have no problem tuning in to WFTL West Palm Beach or WOKV Jacksonville.  WFTL  has been carrying the audio for the CBS-TV outlet channel 12 in Palm Beach.

September 11, 2017 2:13 am  #7

Thanks for your thoughtful insight / comments RadioActive. Much appreciated.

September 11, 2017 9:35 am  #8

mojo55 wrote:

How are you able to access WIOD and other U.S. IHeartradio stations online?  They appear to be geoblocked for me.
I have no problem tuning in to WFTL West Palm Beach or WOKV Jacksonville.  WFTL  has been carrying the audio for the CBS-TV outlet channel 12 in Palm Beach.

Not sure why you're having issues. I wasn't using any VPN or IP address changing software to get it. As far as I know, it's the CBS (now Entercom) stations that drive me crazy with their insistence on geoblocking (because hearing talk on, say KFI in L.A., somehow violates copyright? I don't think so.)

My only suggestion would be to try a different browser. I couldn't get the iHeart stuff to work on Chrome, which is my usual default choice. But when I tried it on Firefox, there were no issues. See if that works for you.

As far as TV audio on radio, now that the storm is passing I'm not sure that's still ongoing. But this is an excellent list from Orlando if they're still doing it:

Hurricane Irma: TV can be heard on radio

September 11, 2017 11:34 am  #9

CBS is not Entercom just yet. May happen soon. My favorite CBS station Chicago's  WXRT's web site is still. 

http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/

Not sure how long a major market rock station will continue to air a Jazz show on Sunday evenings.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 19, 2017 4:13 pm  #10

There's not really a lot new here, but if nothing else, this Billboard article makes the case that there's a reason broadcast radio will never be completely gone. 

During Hurricanes, Radio Stations Help Communities Weather the Storm

September 20, 2017 12:32 pm  #11

Don't like geoblocking?
Use Opera.