sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2017 11:12 am  #1

How AM640 Can Clean CFRB’s “Clock”

Here’s a very small suggestion for AM640 that just might help a tiny bit in its so-far endless losing battle against arch rival CFRB: change your clock!

No, it has nothing to do with the eventual  reversion to Standard Time. This alteration can be done now, may increase Time Spent Listening and best of all, it won’t cost Corus a single cent.

Like it or not (and advertisers and sales departments don’t) when most of us hear commercials, we reach for the button that changes the station. It’s just a fact. What I can’t understand is why AM640 doesn’t realign its show clock to go to a spot break first, minutes before 'RB does.  

As it stands now, both are off on commercials at almost exactly the same time in hours of the key listening dayparts: :15 after, :30 past, and :45, with a few variations for morning and afternoon drive. By going early, AM640 would be back into programming when 'RB goes into one of its inevitably lengthy stopsets, and if you’re interested in what they’re talking about, chances are pretty good you won’t tune back.

Until the next commercial break, of course, but if it’s timed correctly, 'RB will then go to another of its own spots, and back you’ll go to 640. It may not alter CFMJ's ratings, but it certainly couldn't hurt, either. 

This is not new, of course. In the 60’s, uber-P.D. Rick Sklar used to schedule news at :55 to the hour on then Top 40 giant WABC, calling it “news five minutes sooner.” He knew all the kids looking for the hits would tune into rival WMCA, but when they hit the top of the clock and heard the newscast on that station, everyone would come back. The numbers showed that was exactly what was happening.

I know 640 would never want to let CFRB dictate what it does, but this seems like a no-brainer that could benefit them in the long run. And the price is: nothing. 

And oh yeah, I’m also being selfish – as a veteran channel changer, I can’t stand running into spot breaks on both stations at the exact same time.

September 15, 2017 12:10 pm  #2

Re: How AM640 Can Clean CFRB’s “Clock”

AM 640 tried this once, but leaning more toward competing with 680, as they chose to do traffic and weather together on the 8's. 
That was short lived. (Tom Rivers was still alive and hosting the morning show at the time!!)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 15, 2017 1:43 pm  #3

They tried news breaks at :00, :20 and :40 too once....clocks mean little if your talent/content is lame and your management are scared idiots.

September 15, 2017 2:10 pm  #4

Johnny B wrote:

if your talent/content is lame and your management are scared idiots.

640 has "talent"?! And, their "content" is little more than sketchy paid shilling for employment lawyers, precious metal scams, car dealer pushes, ridiculous claims about a certain realtor, men's overpriced clothing and C2C. They don't even have a morning show. And their PM drive sounds tired and bored.

Time for a flip to classic country or throat singing by Gregorian Morks high on colonoscopy cleanse medicine.

September 15, 2017 4:39 pm  #5

a "Gregorian Mork"??  THAT I would listen to!

September 15, 2017 8:56 pm  #6

cGrant wrote:

Time for a flip to classic country

Yup. Just press the start button on the return of CFGM like it's 1990 and they never left.
Maybe add in some Country 59 music and there might be something (cheaper to run) there.

The other idea is dancin' oldies. (modeled after the Foxy 88 five days) 
Or just plain old oldies (with a dancin' oldies Saturday night) 

Some holes in the market to fill and nobody wants to invest in any of them. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 15, 2017 10:01 pm  #7

tc143 wrote:

1010's numbers will dwindle as their prime audience dies off, goes to the home or moves to FLA ...

I've been hearing this argument for years.  Guess what happens to the younger folks?  They get older & often their tastes change.

I was amused at my dad who listened to Wally Crouter every morning.  Decades later, I listen to much more talk than music radio.

Good hosts will have an audience.