sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2017 9:46 am  #1

Frequent CFRB Guest Billing Taxpayers For Jerry Agar Appearances

If you’ve ever listened to one of CFRB host Jerry Agar’s panels, you’ve likely heard Sandy Annunziata. He’s a former Toronto Argo, an ex-sportscaster and most recently, a regional councillor in the Niagara Falls area.

And while he doesn’t get paid for his Agar exploits, he’s now under fire for billing taxpayers for the mileage he puts in to get from the Niagara area to the radio station in downtown Toronto.

Annunziata was on CKTB Tuesday morning, insisting he’s benefiting constituents by constantly mentioning Niagara issues and keeping the area high profile. But critics note that 99% of what’s discussed on the radio segment has nothing whatsoever to do with Niagara and doesn’t help a single person who lives there. The ex-Argo begs to differ and it turns out there’s no real rules being broken, since it’s up to each councillor to decide how their budget is best spent.

I think it’s ironic that Agar has a guy on every week who is allegedly taking advantage of taxpayers - the kind of politician the ’RB host is always railing about on his show.

Niagara Councillor Under Fire Over Radio Appearance Expenses

September 5, 2017 10:04 am  #2

Re: Frequent CFRB Guest Billing Taxpayers For Jerry Agar Appearances

Should this be brought to Peter Shurman's attention?

September 5, 2017 11:08 am  #3

What a piss poor example this guy is setting

Phony bullshit excuses... 

If this guy represented me I'd send him packing... 

September 5, 2017 11:29 am  #4

Annunziata was just on Agar’s show defending his actions.

Among other things, he insisted anew he was boosting his area and therefore the expenses were legit. He noted he “pays for his own parking,” as if that’s supposed to mitigate the billing. And he made sure to note that other councillors spend even more per year on other expenses – which, of course, is completely besides the point.

Agar explained that the reason he can’t just "phone it in" is that the station won’t let him, demanding anyone who’s going to be on for an hour has to be there in person and not on a POTS. But he didn’t say anything about whether he thought this was a waste of taxpayer money and concluded the conversation with, “see you next week.”

I’m not sure if this says more about Annunziata or Agar. I’m never surprised when a politician does something self- serving. But I expected more from the CFRB host, who has been railing against taxpayer abuse on air for decades. Unless, I suppose, it's your show's ox that's being gored. 

I quite like Agar (and Stafford, as well up the dial and frequently switch between them) I don't mean to be hyper critical, but I find this to be hypocritical. And a real disappointment he didn't take a stronger stand.

September 5, 2017 11:54 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Annunziata was just on Agar’s show defending his actions.

Among other things, he insisted anew he was boosting his area and therefore the expenses were legit. He noted he “pays for his own parking,” as if that’s supposed to mitigate the billing. And he made sure to note that other councillors spend even more per year on other expenses – which, of course, is completely besides the point.

Agar explained that the reason he can’t just "phone it in" is that the station won’t let him, demanding anyone who’s going to be on for an hour has to be there in person and not on a POTS. But he didn’t say anything about whether he thought this was a waste of taxpayer money and concluded the conversation with, “see you next week.”

I’m not sure if this says more about Annunziata or Agar. I’m never surprised when a politician does something self- serving. But I expected more from the CFRB host, who has been railing against taxpayer abuse on air for decades. Unless, I suppose, it's your show's ox that's being gored. 

I quite like Agar (and Stafford, as well up the dial and frequently switch between them) I don't mean to be hyper critical, but I find this to be hypocritical. And a real disappointment he didn't take a stronger stand.

Not sure why you're surprised. This is pretty much modus operandi for anyone like Agar who is ultra-right - something happens? Check the playbook and figure out how you can spin it to fit your agenda. Play it up, play it down, ignore it, make excuses. And before anyone blows a gasket, yes, the same applies to the far-left too. I don't think either extreme is capable (or willing) to actually look at an issue from an objective standpoint and support it or criticize it without letting their political loyalties or affiliations colour their view.

September 5, 2017 1:27 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

If you’ve ever listened to one of CFRB host Jerry Agar’s panels, you’ve likely heard Sandy Annunziata.

Putting this into perspective

- 800,000 undocumented dreamers heading north to Cdn border
 - Putin warns of global planetary catastrophe
 - Hurricane Irma threatens to obliterate Florida
 - Gasoline prices climbing
 - Kate is knocked up & Prince Harry avoids the press
 - Niagara Region politician accused of padding expense a/c

Details at 6:00 

September 5, 2017 1:55 pm  #7

Ms. C. wrote:

Should this be brought to Peter Shurman's attention?

Am I correct in saying that Mr. Shurman had a broadcast quality "direct line - link" from his home in NOTL for some of his more recent past appearances on 1010??

Mr. Annunziata is promoting Mr. Annunziata here at taxpayers expense

Sandy Annunziata = card carrying liberal

That's a question...

September 5, 2017 2:38 pm  #8

unclefester wrote:

Am I correct in saying that Mr. Shurman had a broadcast quality "direct line - link" from his home in NOTL for some of his more recent past appearances on 1010??      That's a question...

When was P. Shurman's most recent News/talk 1010 gig?     That's another question.

September 5, 2017 3:53 pm  #9

Geo is correct - although Shurman spent years at CFRB, he's currently plying his fill in trade at AM640.It should also be pointed out that while Shurman was an MPP, he's no longer in the government, and his travel expenses are his own. 

As for Jerry Agar's reaction, I can only imagine what he'd be espousing if say, Gord Perks, an infamous far left Toronto councillor, was charging taxpayers for his mileage to travel to Ottawa once a week to appear live on the CBC.

I wonder how that would go over?

September 5, 2017 6:32 pm  #10

Citizen assumes radio persona of lazyheaded teabagger, attracts guests of decidedly varying ethical integrity. Nothing new here.

September 5, 2017 7:51 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

If you’ve ever listened to one of CFRB host Jerry Agar’s panels, you’ve likely heard Sandy Annunziata. He’s a former Toronto Argo, an ex-sportscaster and most recently, a regional councillor in the Niagara Falls area.

And while he doesn’t get paid for his Agar exploits, he’s now under fire for billing taxpayers for the mileage he puts in to get from the Niagara area to the radio station in downtown Toronto.

Why isn't he being paid, or, at the very least, being reimbursed for expenses?  How many other CFRB panelists are providing their time gratis?

If Mr. Annunziata is there as a political representative, I can see claiming mileage as legitimate.  

There's too much faux outrage on nickel & dime expenses.  Let the guy do the job as he sees fit & then, look at the big picture & decide if he was overall productive. It's unproductive to nitpick. 

September 5, 2017 8:40 pm  #12

g121 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Why isn't he being paid, or, at the very least, being reimbursed for expenses?  How many other CFRB panelists are providing their time gratis?

If Mr. Annunziata is there as a political representative, I can see claiming mileage as legitimate.  

There's too much faux outrage on nickel & dime expenses.  Let the guy do the job as he sees fit & then, look at the big picture & decide if he was overall productive. It's unproductive to nitpick. 

No faux outrage here...it's genuine....

Would the station consider paying him....I don't know...

Would  the better option be for Sandy to pick  up the tab for his commute or call it a day?

I've got a feeling that since we know the annual amount to be around 4 thousand dollars plus...Sandy can do the math and can figure out that's a modest amount for a great gig....

Where else can he get that kind of exposure and feedback for that pittance?

Get your wallet out Sandy

September 5, 2017 10:48 pm  #13

After the Mike Duffy trial, you'd think public figures would realize that the public disapproves of certain kinds of spending, even if said spending is "allowed." In politics, as in life, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. (Good name for a show segment perhaps?)

It might be oddly entertaining to hear "Touchdowns and Fumbles" with Jerry Agar and Bob Reed, if the two were to discuss 'Did Sandy get it right when he explained his reasons for claiming traveling expenses to his radio appearances?' this Friday at 11:40am...... might being the operative word cause I don't think it'll come up...do you?

Last edited by betaylored (September 6, 2017 12:11 am)

September 6, 2017 11:26 am  #14

Not to hijack my own thread, but what the hell happened to Jerry Agar on Wednesday? One minute, I was listening after 10 AM, then turned it off to attend to some business. When I came back half an hour later, Mark Towhey was in the chair.

I've heard of hosts taking the day off, but rarely one working half a shift and then suddenly leaving. Anyone know what happened? And in keeping with the spirit of this post, are taxpayers on the hook for it?

September 6, 2017 11:58 am  #15

Both Agar and Richards are in a "meeting" right now. Hmmm... Is there a mass canning happening? 🤔

September 6, 2017 12:44 pm  #16

Hard to know what's going on yet, but in my experience, this during-the-daytime-everyone-has-to-come-even-if-it-means-pulling-you-off-the-air meetings rarely end well for someone. 

September 9, 2017 3:33 pm  #17

Tick, tick, tick

No boom?
Guess it was just a meeting about the 1010 socks or something. So Agar will be around awhile yet. I'm sure MS is good with that. 

Last edited by Justalistener (September 9, 2017 3:35 pm)

September 12, 2017 6:44 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Annunziata was on CKTB Tuesday morning, insisting he’s benefiting constituents by constantly mentioning Niagara issues and keeping the area high profile. But critics note that 99% of what’s discussed on the radio segment has nothing whatsoever to do with Niagara and doesn’t help a single person who lives there. The ex-Argo begs to differ and it turns out there’s no real rules being broken, since it’s up to each councillor to decide how their budget is best spent.

I think it’s ironic that Agar has a guy on every week who is allegedly taking advantage of taxpayers - the kind of politician the ’RB host is always railing about on his show.

Niagara Councillor Under Fire Over Radio Appearance Expenses

So has our boy Sandy rectified this situation or not??

Is Jerry Agar still putting up with this or not??

Anyone with clean hands on this yet or not??

September 12, 2017 7:03 pm  #19

unclefester wrote:

So has our boy Sandy rectified this situation or not??

Is Jerry Agar still putting up with this or not??

Anyone with clean hands on this yet or not??

Given that Annunziata was back on Agar's show Tuesday morning, I'd say nothing seems to have changed. 

September 12, 2017 11:09 pm  #20

Well I hope that every time he starts his car on Tuesday morning and heads for Toronto that his conscience bothers him...nags at him...naws at him... 

And I hope the voters in his area let their conscience be their guide when the time comes...

41 hundred dollars in mileage in 2015 on the taxpayers dime...

So maybe somebody at Newstalk1010 can show Sandy their rate card and prove to him that if he did the right thing and paid his own way he'd still be getting a smokin' deal.

Disappointed in Jerry too...

October 23, 2018 12:06 pm  #21

unclefester wrote:

Well I hope that every time he starts his car on Tuesday morning and heads for Toronto that his conscience bothers him...nags at him...naws at him... 

And I hope the voters in his area let their conscience be their guide when the time comes...

41 hundred dollars in mileage in 2015 on the taxpayers dime...

So maybe somebody at Newstalk1010 can show Sandy their rate card and prove to him that if he did the right thing and paid his own way he'd still be getting a smokin' deal.

Disappointed in Jerry too...

The voters have spoken

Sandy has been turfed out of office