sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2017 2:52 am  #1

Cityline

Anyone know if City's Cityline is going to be exactly the same now that it will also air in the States?
Or will there be adjustments?
What happens during a cooking segment? (to name one example) 
I don't think Americans will want to watch something that talks in Canadian measurements for any reason. 
Or...any other difference between the Canadain (TV) way and the American (TV) way...
Will Canadian viewers simply accept a new American alteration to the way the show is done? Or...what?
How will this work?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 28, 2017 7:53 am  #2

Re: Cityline

As long as they continue to do the hold the last syllable for 15 seconds on words, a la Oprah, I'm sure it will be a success.

It's certainly a unique formula that you can't get in every other major market in North Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Last edited by ig (August 28, 2017 7:54 am)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 28, 2017 7:55 am  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

I find that Cityline is geared toward women.

Yes perhaps, and not the average American Walmart shopping women either.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 28, 2017 8:12 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

Because Canadian Walmart shopping women are much more sophisticated.  

T. J. Maxx

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 15, 2017 5:14 am  #5

The show launched in the US on September 11. Notice anything different?

Those involved likely overstated the importance of this US deal for Cityline. I don't think you'll see any difference in the show's content because it won't get a US audience large enough to dictate changes. Cityline wasn't sold to a US broadcast network or a major cable player (they'd both be able to make their own show), it was sold into syndication on local stations in just a few major markets:

Chicago (WCIU)/IND, Raleigh, NC (WRAZ/FOX), Nashville, TN (WNAB/CW), Kansas City, MO (KCWE/IND), Greenville-­Spartanburg-­Asheville (WLOS/ABC), Norfolk, VA (WSKY/IND), Birmingham, AL (WVTM/NBC), Jacksonville, FL (WJXT/IND), New Orleans, LA (WUPL/MNT), Lexington, KY (WLEX/NBC), Baton Rouge, LA (WBXH/IND), Jackson, MS (WDBD/FOX), Odessa-­Midland, TX (KPEJ/FOX), Panama City, FL (WPGX/FOX).

The only top 20 US TV market represented there is Chicago and it doesn't even air on a network affiliate. In fact, the show doesn't even air on the main channel. They run it every weekday at 12 PM on a digital sub-channel. I'm sure Rogers is happy even with this. That means less of their money has to fund the show. They even got Tracy to record some promos for the affiliates.

I will be nice and say they at the very least landed daytime slots. PPI's syndicated Canadian dramas tend to get dumped to overnight hours. Don't really know how The Social and Steven & Chris were treated.

One interesting thing about Cityline in the US is that there are half hour episodes being offered, though most stations just run the hour. Does Rogers air half hour edits or is that solely PPI's doing?

grilled.cheese wrote:

I find that Cityline is geared toward women.

I admittedly don't seem them very often, but doesn't that describe almost every daytime talk show? Even the ones with male hosts seem to focus on women. Might be a very old mindset carried over from when it was common for women to not work.