sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2017 3:47 am  #1

Luxury car ads on the radio

Could someone explain to me why so many car ads for Cadillacs, Volvos, and other higher-end vehicles seem to follow a structure something like this?

A younger woman reads the ad in a tone that attempts to sound sophisticated and seductive. It seems to crop up a lot.   Sometimes it works, and sounds coherent, and sometimes the reader fails miserably and it sounds, to put it nicely, laughable. I mention here specifically the Cadillac ad where the woman fails to properly enunciate the phrase "except compromise" to the point where upon a casual listen or two it sounds like "accept compromise" - particularly on an inferior AM signal.

I'm not blaming whoever read that, but whoever produced it instead.  Like everything in radio, advertising production seems in a perpetual race to the bottom.

Last edited by verger (August 20, 2017 3:56 am)

August 21, 2017 2:06 pm  #2

Re: Luxury car ads on the radio

Those luxury car ads can be tricky to write, and voice. The copy needs to have enough techie language to impress, but some ads try to stuff too much in. If a skilled voice actor has to take more than one breath to get through the technical aspects, there's probably too much.

The enunciation, and sloppy diction can come down to too much tech talk, "just one of those days", inexperienced talent, or a really tight production schedule on that particular day.

I get a kick out of hearing most of the on-air hosts, pronouncing "Time Share Exit Team" so casually whenever they plug that company, as "Time Share Exit TeeN", they consistently miss the M on team.

August 25, 2017 2:11 pm  #3

Re: Luxury car ads on the radio

The thing that always gets me is how pretentious these kinds of ads can sound.  Forced, too.

I'm a casual listener - never was in radio, and don't aspire to be, and yet I can hear this kind of nonsense. Why can't ad executives and whatnot?

I'm probably overthinking it.

And don't get me started on British accents for non-British brands. Or smiley delivery (I'm looking at you, traffic lady from the Rogers cluster in Toronto).