sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2017 12:20 pm  #1

Hit Songs They Won’t Play On The Radio Anymore

I always thought I was the only one who wondered why certain Top 40 hits – even some that went to #1 - never get played on the radio anymore. Turns out I'm not alone. 

Sean Ross, a veteran media consultant, brings up the point in a recent article, complete with a list of tunes he thinks should get more airplay. For some reason he seems fixated on several ELO tunes, especially “Turn To Stone.”(While I have nothing against ELO, if you’re going to play a song called “Turn To Stone” it should probably be the completely different song by The Four Tops, one of the best Motown records ever. And that’s putting it pretty high.)

Ross’s theory is that there’s too much testing of music with audiences and not enough “go-with-your-gut” from gun-shy programmers, who think listeners will instantly tune out if they dare to play something that’s not “Stairway To Heaven” or “Satisfaction.”  

I agree with Ross on “Bad Time” by Grand Funk, which is probably the most commercial and best song they ever did. But there are so many former 45s that made a big splash on Billboard or on The CHUM Chart that never see any action on any station that caters to oldies or greatest hits. And that’s a shame, because they have that “Oh Wow, I Haven’t Heard That In Years” factor that makes you turn up the volume and explode silently with nostalgic joy. (Although I’ll give AM 740 credit for coming closest to that emotion.)

Here are just a few that would get my “Oh Wow” vote.

Yellow River – Christie #23 Billboard 1969

The River Is Wide - The Grassroots #31 1969

I Count The Tears – The Drifters #17, 1961

Mr. Businessman – Ray Stevens #7 in Canada (and by the way, his version of “Misty,” #14, is one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard.)

True Grit – Glen Campbell #35 Hot 100, #7 on Hot Country

And last but certainly not least, “You Haven’t Done Nothin’ ” by Stevie Wonder (backed by no less than the Jackson 5, who he refers to in the song.) This was a dig at Richard Nixon (who is also mentioned) back in 1974, but it could just as easily be used by critics of Donald Trump in 2017. The tune reached #1 on Billboard, but I can’t remember the last time I heard it on the radio.

Songs That Programmers Wish Would Test

July 31, 2017 3:59 pm  #2

Re: Hit Songs They Won’t Play On The Radio Anymore

grilled.cheese wrote:

I'm very surprised that all these new, fresh and hip songs are no longer played.

Indeed, my dad does not have any one of these on vinyl...though he does have 2 Blood Sweat and Tears albums

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

July 31, 2017 4:44 pm  #3

Bad Time by Grand Funk was a cool song and here's a cool cover of it by the Jayhawks from 1995. Hey only 22 years old:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 31, 2017 6:04 pm  #4

Donnie Iris "Ah Leah" is such a great tune, and I've rarely heard it on the radio.

August 1, 2017 9:18 am  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I'm very surprised that all these new, fresh and hip songs are no longer played.

So, obviously, you're more of a processed cheese/cheese-like kind of 'grill' are ya?  Artificial non cheese really?  Devoid of actual cheese... ... ...or music?

August 1, 2017 10:28 am  #6

betaylored wrote:

Donnie Iris "Ah Leah" is such a great tune, and I've rarely heard it on the radio.

If only Gord Lightfoot or Michel Bubbles would cover it 

August 1, 2017 11:17 am  #7

Ms. C. wrote:

betaylored wrote:

If only Gord Lightfoot or Michel Bubbles would cover it 

Interesting idea Ms. C, cover songs are a good way to see just how talented a musical artist is, and isn't. One of my favorite songs, "Lips Like Sugar" by Echo and the Bunnymen, was covered by Coldplay in a concert, and they murdered it. Wish Trent Reznor would cover "Go All The Way" by the Raspberries.😎

August 1, 2017 12:40 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I always thought I was the only one who wondered why certain Top 40 hits – even some that went to #1 - never get played on the radio anymore. Turns out I'm not alone. 

Sean Ross, a veteran media consultant, brings up the point in a recent article, complete with a list of tunes he thinks should get more airplay. For some reason he seems fixated on several ELO tunes, especially “Turn To Stone.”(While I have nothing against ELO, if you’re going to play a song called “Turn To Stone” it should probably be the completely different song by The Four Tops, one of the best Motown records ever. And that’s putting it pretty high.)

Ross’s theory is that there’s too much testing of music with audiences and not enough “go-with-your-gut” from gun-shy programmers, who think listeners will instantly tune out if they dare to play something that’s not “Stairway To Heaven” or “Satisfaction.”  

I agree with Ross on “Bad Time” by Grand Funk, which is probably the most commercial and best song they ever did. But there are so many former 45s that made a big splash on Billboard or on The CHUM Chart that never see any action on any station that caters to oldies or greatest hits. And that’s a shame, because they have that “Oh Wow, I Haven’t Heard That In Years” factor that makes you turn up the volume and explode silently with nostalgic joy. (Although I’ll give AM 740 credit for coming closest to that emotion.)

Here are just a few that would get my “Oh Wow” vote.

Yellow River – Christie #23 Billboard 1969

The River Is Wide - The Grassroots #31 1969

I Count The Tears – The Drifters #17, 1961

Mr. Businessman – Ray Stevens #7 in Canada (and by the way, his version of “Misty,” #14, is one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard.)

True Grit – Glen Campbell #35 Hot 100, #7 on Hot Country

And last but certainly not least, “You Haven’t Done Nothin’ ” by Stevie Wonder (backed by no less than the Jackson 5, who he refers to in the song.) This was a dig at Richard Nixon (who is also mentioned) back in 1974, but it could just as easily be used by critics of Donald Trump in 2017. The tune reached #1 on Billboard, but I can’t remember the last time I heard it on the radio.

Songs That Programmers Wish Would Test

I could make a list of "forgotten hits" a mile long but everybody has their own list. I realize the need to play the familiar but playing these forgotten hits lends spice to oldies programming. You're not going to remember that your favourite station played "Last Train to Clarksville" for the umpteenth time today but you will remember, say, "Nothing But a Heartache" by the Flirtations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72mXxaHkHnE

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 1, 2017 1:14 pm  #9

I asked a gent in the AM-740 booth at Elvis Collingwood Fest if he is Norm Edwards or Frank Proctor and he replied that he doesn't know who they are and then proceeded to attempt to sell me a Cdn Assoc. of Retired Persons membership (crap about CARP)

August 1, 2017 1:35 pm  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

I could make a list of "forgotten hits" a mile long but everybody has their own list. I realize the need to play the familiar but playing these forgotten hits lends spice to oldies programming. You're not going to remember that your favourite station played "Last Train to Clarksville" for the umpteenth time today but you will remember, say, "Nothing But a Heartache" by the Flirtations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72mXxaHkHnE

I'll be looking forward to you playing your "list" Dale, when you host your weekend morning segments on FM108.ca!

Listen live

August 1, 2017 1:44 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

Let me fire up my phonograph and see what's in the latest top 40.  Maybe for a hoot, I'll whip out my tumbler of the CHUM charts from 1917

The question Mr Cheese is what will you say about MP3's in 2047 when questioned by a young whippersnapper named Veggie Burger

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 1, 2017 9:48 pm  #12

Old folks don't know everything...but they sure as shootin' know what SUCKS.  [and it ain't just cheese whiz]