sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2017 7:47 pm  #1

Foundation looks to stash broadcast archive in Cold War bunker

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 12, 2017 8:35 pm  #2

Re: Foundation looks to stash broadcast archive in Cold War bunker

I thought for a moment that it read as," foundation wants to stash canadian broadcasting corporation in cold war bunker."

July 12, 2017 10:22 pm  #3

I believe in never destroying your original source material, so the idea of using the bunker is indeed a good one.  It will slow down the deterioration of the source material until it can be properly dealt with.  A really good example is the Johnny Carson archives that were stored deep under ground for the better part of the last 50 years.  When the source material was finally digitized, it seemed to survive quite well and looks great.

But what really needs to be done is to get these assets properly digitized.  Forget about cleaning up, just get it into a high-quality digital format.  Even to do just this can be painstaking work.  Not just because it has to be done is real time, but also in the case of 2 inch quad tape, there are fewer and fewer surviving machines in good condition to play the tapes back, and very few people who know how to operate the machines and get the best quality from the old tapes.

July 12, 2017 10:43 pm  #4

I wonder if the Museum will one day make these long lost broadcasts available to see over the web. It's great that all that programming is being preserved but it's not much good if nobody can see them. 

Then again, some of them ARE old CBC shows - and I didn't watch them the first time, either. Not so sure I'd want to see any of them now! (I wonder how many "Don Messer's Jubilee" and "Hymn Sing" episodes are still in existence...)

If the bunker doesn't work out, maybe they can store them at Chez Hélène or in the Friendly Giant's castle.

Last edited by RadioActive (July 12, 2017 10:49 pm)

July 13, 2017 2:00 am  #5

I remember walking through the CBC'S public display years ago and enjoying looking at all the older tech equipment, and the bits and pieces from shows, although seeing Jerome's head in colour, it was purple and brown, instead of the televised black and white, was odd. It's good that the foundation exists, the bunker will be a kind of a time capsule collective.

Last edited by betaylored (July 13, 2017 2:07 am)

July 13, 2017 7:50 am  #6

>> I wonder if the Museum will one day make these long lost broadcasts available to see over the web. It's great that all that programming is being preserved but it's not much good if nobody can see them. 

http://www.aireum.ca/

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 21, 2017 8:30 pm  #7

Sometime SOWNY-ite and master producer Doug Thompson is involved with the museum. Here's a piece he wrote for fyimusicnews.ca that outlines just what the place already has access to. 

Preserving Canada's Broadcast History

Gotta love the 1952 CFRB rate card.