sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2016 11:44 am  #1

Should Aurora & Georgina Get Their Own Radio Stations?

That title question is one the CRTC will be looking into, after receiving two separate applications for radio outlets in those small Ontario towns.

The proposed Aurora station would be at 91.7 FM and is described only as being commercial, but very low powered, with just 45 watts and an ERP of about 150. Giant FM (aka CIXL from Welland) currently puts out a killer signal across much of Southern Ontario, so I’m not sure if this is even technically feasible. But according to CRTC rules, they have to make it public to ensure any concerns, interventions or competing bids get a chance to have their say.

The Georgina application is from an old hand at small town radio, MY FM, which runs a large number of stations in Ontario and wants more. They’re looking at 93.7 with just over 1,600 watts and a final output of about 3,000. Again, there’s possible interference with The Move (formerly Flow) at 93.5, but perhaps they’re far enough apart that it won’t matter.

Either way, it appears there could soon be more noise on an already crowded FM dial in and around the GTA.

July 11, 2016 11:47 am  #2

Re: Should Aurora & Georgina Get Their Own Radio Stations?

RadioActive wrote:

The Georgina application

Hmm..  That will be an interesting market to capture audience in, wonder if they'll use the Dukes of Hazard for the presentation music?

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 11, 2016 11:56 am  #3

ig wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The Georgina application

Hmm..  That will be an interesting market to capture audience in, wonder if they'll use the Dukes of Hazard for the presentation music?

Would these areas be able to support a radio station? 105.9 The Region was created for the York Region community: however I don't think this station is doing well.

July 11, 2016 12:16 pm  #4

ig wrote:

wonder if they'll use the Dukes of Hazard for the presentation music?

duck hunting season around Holland Marsh is late autumn; how about the Ducks of Hazard

July 11, 2016 9:54 pm  #5

Of course they should...and at enough power to have a chance at 1...being heard and 2...being successful.  Isn't Aurora big enough to have at least 2 or 3 stations?  What's Mississauga got?  Get some NEW players into the 'game'.  Teach these old turds a few things about competition.  Gawd the CRTC pisses me off.  Buncha twits.  BAD for radio.  Worse for Canadians.

July 12, 2016 12:39 am  #6

ig wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The Georgina application

Will the EVANOV group cry foul? They own 88.5 CKDX FM, (aka 1480 CKAN Newmarket)
Isn't their current licence meant to serve Georgina? 
If not, then why didn't THEY go after an 88five repeater (or some sort of station) to serve Georgina?

Sutton Ontario would be a great place to put the radio station, if MY FM could get the broadcast licence. 
(there's a recently closed second hand clothing store available, if rent isn't too high)
However, even if Evanov group backs off, what might the Community radio station say? 

Would Nish FM cry foul over how tough it already was for them to get an FM licence? What about their signal strength, etc?
http://georginaisland.com/community-services/nish-radio-92-3/ 

Here2day wrote:

Would these areas be able to support a radio station? 105.9 The Region was created for the York Region community: however I don't think this station is doing well.

For Georgina, the answer is yes, but businesses come and go rather quickly. At least, that's what I'm seeing in Sutton, and possibly Keswick, as well as Pefferlaw.
Maybe My FM has all that figured out. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 12, 2016 2:22 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 12, 2016 4:32 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

businesses come and go rather quickly. At least, that's what I'm seeing in Sutton, and possibly Keswick, as well as Pefferlaw 

​If Roger & Marilyn are good enough for Toronto they're good enough for Sutton, Keswick & Pefferlaw

July 12, 2016 5:44 am  #8

geo wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

businesses come and go rather quickly. At least, that's what I'm seeing in Sutton, and possibly Keswick, as well as Pefferlaw 

​If Roger & Marilyn are good enough for Toronto they're good enough for Sutton, Keswick & Pefferlaw

What do you mean by that? 

July 12, 2016 7:39 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

What do you mean by that? 

​PUT ANOTHER WAY:  if Rock 95 is good enough for Innisfil it s/b good enough for Sutton, Keswick & Pefferlaw

July 12, 2016 4:53 pm  #10

grilled.cheese wrote:

Pefferlaw has been ignored for too long.  It's a huge, untapped and unwashed market, prime for it's own unique radio identity and voice. 

Thank-you. We're on a similar page. For quite some time I would say the same thing about Sutton. Sutton this, Sutton that. 
For a while now, I've been willing to say Sutton/Pefferlaw.
Don't forget Jackson's point...
And Geo, I don't think you know Sutton.

July 12, 2016 6:50 pm  #11

geo wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Geo, I don't think you know Sutton 

​I know Baldwin (pop. 551) and Baldwin could not care less about this

I don't really care what Baldwin thinks. 

My focus is Sutton Ontario, but even in doing so, I see how businesses come and go. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 12, 2016 6:52 pm)

July 12, 2016 6:52 pm  #12

MAKE AURORA GREAT AGAIN !

July 12, 2016 6:53 pm  #13

geo wrote:

MAKE AURORA GREAT AGAIN !

That's the other licence. Good luck to them! 

July 12, 2016 7:50 pm  #14

I love both Sutton and Pefferlaw.  Nice restaurants, shops, and bed/breakfasts.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 13, 2016 1:49 am  #15

Jody Thornton wrote:

I love both Sutton and Pefferlaw.  Nice restaurants, shops, and bed/breakfasts.

Excellent point. Also a great Jackson's point resort, (http://www.briars.ca/ )  but will they all declare that they do not need to advertise on the radio? Or will they give in and run ads on this new Georgina station? 

I hope MY FM has some great backing...especially the Briars, since that's one example of a business that's not going anywhere any time soon... 

July 13, 2016 8:26 am  #16

A quick search of the retail sales of the area shows that it's growing and healthy.   One could argue the investment is for the future.

July 13, 2016 8:50 am  #17

The CRTC has no eye for the future.  They are the collective 'Blind Pew' of many a broadcasting treasure hunt.  They seem to contradict themselves by going with fewer voices rather than with more...protecting inability and ineptitude.

July 13, 2017 11:11 am  #18

re The recent comment:"105.9 The Region was created for the York Region community: however I don't think this station is doing well"

We aren't CHFI - but we are hanging in there during these tough times for Canadian media. We will be on the air 4 years in December. That isn't bad for a privately owned radio station. We are a small crw - we all work hard and do our best to get better and grow the business every day. I like to think there's room for everyone.

July 13, 2017 12:59 pm  #19

Jim Lang wrote:

re The recent comment:"105.9 The Region was created for the York Region community: however I don't think this station is doing well"

We aren't CHFI - but we are hanging in there during these tough times for Canadian media. We will be on the air 4 years in December. That isn't bad for a privately owned radio station. We are a small crw - we all work hard and do our best to get better and grow the business every day. I like to think there's room for everyone.

"recent comment" was in fact posted one year ago.      That said, congratulations on hanging in.       

K.